1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.
  3. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

CPM154 Nubilus w/black micarta - $130

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by Remyrw, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Remyrw

Remyrw

Jun 17, 2010
    So far pretty much all my Nubilus knives have been flashy in some way. Ghost Jade G10, burl, mosaic.... I finally did one with a plain black linen micarta and stainless pin/tube hardware. I even used a flat finish on the micarta and scotchbrite finish on the bevels. This is pretty much how I'd do one for myself if I was going to carry it and use it day to day. I eased the edges of the spine and at the choil noticeably for extra comfort.
    CPM154 .140" steel from Aldo, heat treat by Paul Bos Heat Treating.
    7 7/8" OAL, 3 7/8" blade.
    Black linen micarta
    Stainless hardware
    Double bevel, full height. Very slight distal taper for a heavier duty knife than my usual Nubilus.
    Comes with a kydex sheath. I will make either a taco or single fold style with an IWB loop, Tek-Lok, regular belt loop... your choice. It could be done as a necker as well.
    Price is $130 with sheath plus shipping. Domestic shipping w/insurance and delivery confirmation is $8

The only changes from the first set of pics to the last is the maker's mark and shooting location.
    [​IMG]
    The handle's darker than this shot looks, the flat finish catches the light in the fibers and looks light grey in direct sunlight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. Doctor Drago

Doctor Drago

Aug 14, 2012
    That is a great looking piece! Two questions: what's the OAL, and would you be willing to do a kydex sheath with a clip for left side, deep in-pocket carry? Thanks!

3. Remyrw

Remyrw

Jun 17, 2010
    OAL is just shy of 7 7/8ths.
    I am willing to take a stab at the sheath, but that better be a deep pocket. Do you have a pic of what you mean, so I am sure we're on the same page? I'm thinking basically a metal or plastic belt clip formed to be snug enough to keep the sheath in the pocket. The "click in" for the blade would have to be reasonably soft to be practical but that's doable. If I'm understanding right, the sheath would come most of the way up the knife as well, to protect you and the pocket, but leave enough of the handle exposed to pull on. I don't really see it being very practical, to be honest, but it's doable. Again, if you've got a picture of something similar it would help a lot.

4. Doctor Drago

Doctor Drago

Aug 14, 2012
    Oh yeah, that's a little too big.

I don't really have a reference since I've never seen something like what I'm imagining before...I'm thinking similarly to you, essentially a fixed blade that carries as deep and discreet as a folder clipped inside the pocket; a setup that is also as well retained and yet easily drawn and replaced. I know, I have big dreams:) Honestly, I suspect you're right about the lack of practicality. I appreciate you giving it some thought, though! Cheers!

5. Remyrw

Remyrw

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm thinking that a dedicated design would work for that. Something where the clip is on the knife itself and the sheath uses some sort of tacky or rough outer layer like stubbly rubber or rough side out leather and wings. That way the knife stays where you want it and at worst you end up drawing the sheath out too, at least part way. Maybe on a slightly smaller knife too. That's definitely an idea worth playing with. It's not that hard to secure a folder's low ride pocket clip onto a fixed blade so that part's no sweat.

6. Doctor Drago

Doctor Drago

Aug 14, 2012
    Hmm! That's a seriously interesting idea. I may have to make some Frankenknife testbeds from my collection... Thanks for the inspiration!