CQC8 or Horseman? Or collaboration?

Hello gang

I'm in the market for a good folder and Emerson Knives models were on my list for a long time. Tactical themed knives are a love of mine and even though I did not try too too many of them I admire CQC8's history. I'm trying to determine any significant differences between CQC8 and Horseman besides their size since there is only about 0.5" blade/handle lenght difference. There is a ton of positive and negative reviews on Emersons including poor finish and locking problems. Some folks also report the liner lock part not being as pronouced on Horseman as it is on the original. Perhaps quality improved in the past couple years or so? Which one would you recommend?
I don't care about the price nor weight nor size for edc and work (uniformed services) I carry what I got. Or maybe I should just get both to try and send less favored one back.
What's your opinion? Thank you in advance.

Well since the 8's are my all-time​ favorite Emerson let me Begin by saying you've chosen wisley my Friend! Now for me the best all-around 8 for all situations is hands down......The Horseman! It's perfect for every situation, work or dress attire. Everyone I've owed has been perfect out the box, yes they all have slight lock stick for a short period but it will wear itself into perfection but I do have medium size hands so depending on your paw size maybe the regular 8 would fit you best.

My Poorboy Horseman compared​ to my Poorboy super 8

a3c685d72e47676cb770501e930418b6.jpg

d3fc98133fdddbdaf1142f45fca5d608.jpg

23a69d8dbc6c81a83a0ae7ab8ae2e8fc.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't have a Horseman, but I have an 8. Don't let the stat difference fool you, the 8 is a pretty big knife. Not huge, but big. If you like to carry big knives, get the 8. Really comes down to how much blade/weight you want to carry. What other knives do you or have you owned? Here is a pic with some common knives for comparison.

ZT0561
Para2
Endura

14346512895_4ed1cb34f8_c.jpg

Closest in sizing that I owned and carried and largest ones are Paramilitary 2 and OKC Rat1. Felt both of them were quite large.

I just came across Emerson design ZT 0630 and that looks like it could be another option. What a bunch of awesome designs.

Closest in sizing that I owned and carried and largest ones are Paramilitary 2 and OKC Rat1. Felt both of them were quite large.

I just came across Emerson design ZT 0630 and that looks like it could be another option. What a bunch of awesome designs.

If you thought the Para2 and Rat1 "felt quite large" then I can almost guarantee you'll think the CQC-8 is huge. Take a look at the picture I posted, the Para2 is sitting right under the CQC-8. The ZT0630 is a fine knife, but it's even heavier than the 8 if that matters to you.

Para2 = 8.2" long / 3.8 ounces
CQC-8 = 9.3" long / 6.0 ounces
Horseman = 8.3" long / 5 ounces
ZT0630 = 8.3" long / 6.3 ounces

have both and a super. highly prefer the standard 8. horseman isnt a bad length but it is like a mini in everyway and i find it too small for my uses. feels much smaller than the dimensions show. if thats your thing and smaller is better to ya, might be the right choice. if you prefer a bigger folder than pick the standard 8. ill leave with this. the standard 8 is one of the best folders ever designed in the knife industry. good at about everything.

Haven't handled a horseman. I've had several CQC 8's. Great knives and one of my favorite models. Just got the ZT Emerson 0630. Really like this collaboration.

If you thought the Para2 and Rat1 "felt quite large" then I can almost guarantee you'll think the CQC-8 is huge. Take a look at the picture I posted, the Para2 is sitting right under the CQC-8. The ZT0630 is a fine knife, but it's even heavier than the 8 if that matters to you.

It is a great comparison photo. Thank you for sharing. Para2's blade length wasn't bad, I thought the handle is on the larger side for sure. Weight does not matter to me really. Looks like Horseman will be a good first choice. That being said I am very curious how CQC8 would feel. I totally love this shape. Watched a bunch of reviews on ZT0630 also and it appears that finish wise those may be "better" but in terms of utility it does not really matter I guess. I guess the Emerson collection is not going to stop on just one knife haha. Thank you so much!

They are essentially the same knife in two different sizes. Yes the ZT 0630 is in the design family. Pick the one who's size suits you better. That being said the CQC8 is a fairly big knife and the Horseman is alot more EDC friendly.

These knives feature one of my favourite blade shapes the Dao or Scimitar shape. This lets the knife keep a robust tip where it can have the full benefit of the blade thickness; all while still allowing a curved edge great for utility.

They are essentially the same knife in two different sizes. Yes the ZT 0630 is in the design family. Pick the one who's size suits you better. That being said the CQC8 is a fairly big knife and the Horseman is alot more EDC friendly.

These knives feature one of my favourite blade shapes the Dao or Scimitar shape. This lets the knife keep a robust tip where it can have the full benefit of the blade thickness; all while still allowing a curved edge great for utility.

Awesome information. I did not know that about the blade shapes. Thank you

I agree with staitr. The CQC-8 is my favorite Emerson. The Horseman, while not a close second, is certainly in the top half dozen.

In carry time, the to 8s, regular 8 and mini-8 Horseman get most pocket time. Both are handy, useful blades that serve my purposes day in and day out.

IMHO, the 8 (again, my favorite) is a larger knife than the specs would indicate above; at least it seems that way to me.

This is the one to get. I do wish ZT made it in a Horseman size though. I know you said size/weight don't matter but make no mistake, the ZT is a beast. I'm in the military too (I assume that's uniformed services) but regardless of what you're permitted to carry, you will not forget the ZT is in your pocket.

_DSC7931%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsmfdvxwxb.jpg

You can probably find a better deal on the 0620 if you don't mind a tanto blade.

_DSC4513%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsd8ecitrt.jpg

The more I read the more I want haha
ZT 0630
ZT 0620
CQC7V
CQC8
CQC Horseman
CRKT Hissatsu.....oh the sweet life of a blade addict

If you find another design you like, you can buy them all and carry a different one everyday of the week! :D

Just chimed in to say I loved my Horseman when I had it a couple of years ago. Definitely a do-it-all kinda knife. I've owned the ZT collabs and will also back those. I love the 0620 the most!

Save up and buy the Super, regular 8, and the horseman and then sell whatever you don't like.

I could almost guarantee you would keep all three though.

So after some trading I was able to score those 3 beautiful knives. Let me tell you the choice was not easy.
Emerson Horseman was the first and I really really liked the shape, weight, feel in hand. Mr Emerson is a pro, no design flaws were to be expected of course. I upgraded the hardware and disc to titanium, mirror polished the edge and started working on its action. Btw that smooth disc works mucj better than original and does not bite into your thumb at all. Of course like many other Emersons it was a very very tough process to a point that liner lock couldn't be disengaged with one hand. But got past that point a bit after playing with it. I wanted to love this knife, I really really did. But the "rusted gate" noise associated with opening/closing the knife just drives me nuts. Perhaps it will go away at some point but my OCD can't stand it. Of course I read all this before and heard it from several reviews so it was expected but I did not suspect it would bother me so much. It is not THAT bad I guess but it's just not to my liking. Maybe I'm too immature to truly appreciate this knife with all its minor flaws. I checked with some craftsmen and issue is fixable but it will cost about a 1/3 of the knife's price so not going to go this way I think.

Then I received these two beasts and those are my first ZTs also. 0620 had an awesome action (again, that was expected from all the reviews watched and read) and this tanto is beautiful but this wasn't the knife I wanted yet.

Opening third box was with Halleluya's bells'n'whistles. 0630 was a nail hit on the head. Action was gritty as hell and for about 2 days my thumb was sore and torned some (hahaha) but what one should expect after trying to overcome annoying ball detent few hundred times in one day :) Some pencil/graphite treatment helped and now the action is quite smooth and this is the one to keep. Loving the beefy blade, steel and slick action. Finish is just gorgeous and stands up to all those legendary higher end ZTs many good people have I'd say. Of course I'm an amateur so can't compare myself to others but owned my share of sharp objects and I must say I am very impressed with this 0630. Titanium framelock, S35VN, fit, finish. I like 154cm very much but this one is just wow.
Yes, it's an ounce heavier that EH and yes it is a little more bulky but the truth is, and I don't pick on Emersons, it is just a better quality built knife. If I was rich, then I'd keep them all, but I'm not so as much as I respect and love Mr. Emerson and his life and his designs, I need to settle on a collaboration product.

Only "real" thing I'd change is the G10 scale as this pattern kind of sucks, does the job but it is not that attractive. Personal preference. Black G10 with 3 lines like TAD Dauntless or Protech knives have would be awesome. Even simple textured G10. Going to try to find something to do this upgrade. Anyway, thank you all for your help and sharing your photos, experiences and recommendations. All those help very much and are greatly appreciated. Thank you

20170420_141328_zpsxhriab6z.jpg
20170420_141343_zpshyyjifyv.jpg
20170422_095715_zpsf1azxpzq.jpg
20170420_173059_zps3yfudkur.jpg

So here is where we are now. Who knows, perhaps Emerson Knives company will step up at some point and I could try them again.

Thank you all

IMG_20170421_173013_zpsukjon36r.jpg
IMG_20170422_112338_zpspbe54mhf.jpg
IMG_20170422_111609_zps9fxfpwny.jpg

No disrespect or lack of love felt, expressed or intended but ... I have more Emerson knives than I could ever use; yes, I am a fan.

That said, the ZT630 is the Ding - Ding -Ding prize winning 5X ring bull's eye for me, though I do EDC the Horseman or the CQC-8 more - just because.

BTW: Whatchu doin' wit dat 620?

Back