crimsonfalcon07's blade gallery - a hobbyist grinder's creations

Well, this is where I started. With an old file. No heat treat, nothing. I keep it in a prominent position to find out how far I've come.

2011-09-18202336.jpg

All kinds of problems with this knife. Tang wasn't the right size, so I ended up filling the sides with that metal putty stuff, and the handle scales were cut wrong, so the grain angles the wrong way. Yikes!

Long story short, and a bunch of pictures of misshapen blades, I eventually started using actual steel and found Darrin Sanders, who was just starting a heat treat service (and, in my case, providing LOTS of helpful advice).

One of the first blades I made and that Darrin heat treated for me:

2011-11-12180959.jpg

After much ado, I started trying to design an ergonomic handle for my favorite grip style, the saber grip. Ended up with these:

2012-01-01191128.jpg

Also was inspired by Barry Dawson, and made a couple fighters:

2012-01-24143700.jpg

I tweaked my handle design to the point where I feel that it's got almost a glove-like fit, and started fitting different blade styles. Also made a little EDC version.

2012-02-29182053.jpg

That one let me know that a choil would be comfortable for choking up on the blade.

2012-03-01122909.jpg

Did some experimentation with Damascus, thanks to Alabama Damascus (who I highly recommend, and want to mention that their customer service is superb).

20120506_114020.jpg

I've made a couple swords:

2012-03-16202203.jpg

20120327_165508.jpg

Both are getting reworked, and the gladius is off getting kydex pants...

And here's some of my most recent work:

20120602_191216.jpg

2012-06-08103321.jpg

I'm in love with this persian. I contoured the handle like usual, then decided to experiment with my dremel. I really like the way it came out; the extra texturing really makes the grain in the bocote look interesting.

2012-06-08103358.jpg

2012-06-08103439.jpg

I feel like I've come a long way since I started, and hope to continue learning with every blade. I started out making blades on a 3x18" belt sander and a bench grinder, and then progressed to a 1x30, which I've been using for a while. I just traded one of my utility pattern blades for a craftsman 2x42, and will use that until I have saved up for a real knifemakers grinder. Eventually I might get a heat treat oven too, but Darrin's service is so good that that day will be a long way off, I'm sure. For anyone who's starting out, I highly recommend Darrin's service and advice. Hope you enjoyed my journey thus far; I know I sure have.

More pictures to come. I hope someday to look back at this thread and always remember where I started.

Wow, I love that Persian. That texturing makes that Bocote pop. How long has it been since you started on the file knife? I have enjoyed watching your progress and can't wait to see what you will accomplish with better tools and more experience. I also want to thank you for the kind words about my heat treating. That is something I also look forward to seeing you get into one day. Keep up the good work.

Counting back, its been a little more than 9 months since that first file knife. Can't wait to try out the new grinder once the new belts for it arrive.

Well, another year, a bunch more blades:

Santoku with tiger and finch:

Khukuri in Alabama Damascus. I've got another in 1095 getting completed now.

EDC:

Dagger:

Camp knife:

Hawksbill (this one is actually a pretty old one that Darrin heat treated for me last year that I cleaned up, reprofiled, reground the blade, and altered the handle. I love it now:

Dao:

Mini-dao bush swords.

A lot of firsts for me.

Back