1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

crimsonfalcon07's blade gallery - a hobbyist grinder's creations

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by crimsonfalcon07, Jun 8, 2012.

1. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Well, this is where I started. With an old file. No heat treat, nothing. I keep it in a prominent position to find out how far I've come.

[​IMG]

All kinds of problems with this knife. Tang wasn't the right size, so I ended up filling the sides with that metal putty stuff, and the handle scales were cut wrong, so the grain angles the wrong way. Yikes!

Long story short, and a bunch of pictures of misshapen blades, I eventually started using actual steel and found Darrin Sanders, who was just starting a heat treat service (and, in my case, providing LOTS of helpful advice).

One of the first blades I made and that Darrin heat treated for me:

[​IMG]

After much ado, I started trying to design an ergonomic handle for my favorite grip style, the saber grip. Ended up with these:

[​IMG]

Also was inspired by Barry Dawson, and made a couple fighters:

[​IMG]

I tweaked my handle design to the point where I feel that it's got almost a glove-like fit, and started fitting different blade styles. Also made a little EDC version.

[​IMG]

That one let me know that a choil would be comfortable for choking up on the blade.

[​IMG]

Did some experimentation with Damascus, thanks to Alabama Damascus (who I highly recommend, and want to mention that their customer service is superb).

[​IMG]

I've made a couple swords:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both are getting reworked, and the gladius is off getting kydex pants...

And here's some of my most recent work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm in love with this persian. I contoured the handle like usual, then decided to experiment with my dremel. I really like the way it came out; the extra texturing really makes the grain in the bocote look interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I feel like I've come a long way since I started, and hope to continue learning with every blade. I started out making blades on a 3x18" belt sander and a bench grinder, and then progressed to a 1x30, which I've been using for a while. I just traded one of my utility pattern blades for a craftsman 2x42, and will use that until I have saved up for a real knifemakers grinder. Eventually I might get a heat treat oven too, but Darrin's service is so good that that day will be a long way off, I'm sure. For anyone who's starting out, I highly recommend Darrin's service and advice. Hope you enjoyed my journey thus far; I know I sure have.

More pictures to come. I hope someday to look back at this thread and always remember where I started.

2. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    Wow, I love that Persian. That texturing makes that Bocote pop. How long has it been since you started on the file knife? I have enjoyed watching your progress and can't wait to see what you will accomplish with better tools and more experience. I also want to thank you for the kind words about my heat treating. That is something I also look forward to seeing you get into one day. Keep up the good work.

3. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Counting back, its been a little more than 9 months since that first file knife. Can't wait to try out the new grinder once the new belts for it arrive.

4. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Well, another year, a bunch more blades:

Santoku with tiger and finch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Khukuri in Alabama Damascus. I've got another in 1095 getting completed now.
    [​IMG]

EDC:
    [​IMG]

Dagger:
    [​IMG]

Camp knife:
    [​IMG]

Hawksbill (this one is actually a pretty old one that Darrin heat treated for me last year that I cleaned up, reprofiled, reground the blade, and altered the handle. I love it now:
    [​IMG]

Dao:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mini-dao bush swords.
    [​IMG]

A lot of firsts for me.