Review CRK Large Sebenza 21 Glamour Knife?

Guys I need answers..please prove me wrong about the Sebenza being just something to ogle at when your laying in bed watching Grays Anatomy with your wife..

I'm currently in search of another knife and as always my taste only seems to get more expensive (sadly)...
But the LAST thing I want to do is buy a knife that I feel as if I can't use? Especially at the 300-350 street price these are going for.

So with all this being said, who out there owns a CRK Large Sebenza 21 and actually USES it? No, sitting at the desk cutting the turkey sandwich your old lady made you the night before doesn't constitute as "use" in my book sorry..

Thanks in advanced for all the replies! Please sell me this knife guys!

Sebenzas look good with some wear on them in my eyes.

They can be used. Unless your Sebenza is some rare model you don't want to hurt or you just bought it so you can sell it later then use the thing.

My first Sebenza was a small 21 and at first I couldn't bring myself to use it. Then I was like 'I bought this knife for myself, what am I going to do just never use it until I die and it is sold off by my kids at a garage sale one day? Who am I saving it for?'

So I started using it and could not be happier. Only thing I don't like is the tip seems abit thin for even light prying.

I don't own one but I have done a ton of research on them, a local sporting goods store had one in stock, and sold it before I had the chance to get it. These knives are made to work, actually I believe the word Sebenza means work. I read about a Sebenza being used until the blade belly was mostly gone and it still locked up solid. If you actually plan to put it to hard use, I believe it would hold up for many years. One of the biggest complaints about Chris Reeve knives in general, is he runs the CPM S35VN blade steel a little on the soft side.

Sebenza is designed to be used. In fact, if it is purely for the fun of fondling, I would choose many many other cheaper folding knives over it.

Sebenzas look good with some wear on them in my eyes.

They can be used. Unless your Sebenza is some rare model you don't want to hurt or you just bought it so you can sell it later then use the thing.

My first Sebenza was a small 21 and at first I couldn't bring myself to use it. Then I was like 'I bought this knife for myself, what am I going to do just never use it until I die and it is sold off by my kids at a garage sale one day? Who am I saving it for?'

So I started using it and could not be happier. Only thing I don't like is the tip seems abit thin for even light prying.
Yeah there is no argument as far as aesthetics go with the knife. The thing is drop dead gorgeous. Funny your story reminds me of how I was with my M390 PM2. I quickly got over and just said screw it. I spent the money so I shall enjoy it lol.
I don't own one but I have done a ton of research on them, a local sporting goods store had one in stock, and sold it before I had the chance to get it. These knives are made to work, actually I believe the word Sebenza means work. I read about a Sebenza being used until the blade belly was mostly gone and it still locked up solid. If you actually plan to put it to hard use, I believe it would hold up for many years. One of the biggest complaints about Chris Reeve knives in general, is he runs the CPM S35VN blade steel a little on the soft side.
Hmm yeah tomorrow I think I'll make a point to call up local shops and see if I can go handle oneto get a better feel, who mows maybe the ergonomics will just totally kill it for me (highly doubtful). The damn knife just seems so buttery smooth.

Listen, if you can't afford to "use" $300 knives don't buy them. If you can, the Sebenza is a wonderful knife for any knife task you should be using a folding knife for.

End of story.
Not a question of monetary value my friend, I just can't wrap my head around paying 400 bucks for s35VN knowing their are much much much better deals on the market nowadays. This is why I made the post ..I was wondering "from owners" if they had any legs to stand on to justify the price I.e; ergomics,fit and finish, smoothness, any failures? Who knows man.

Sebenza is Zulu ( believe) for work. They are intended to be used, though some collect them also(especially older and rarer ones). I carry and use my small micarta inlay almost every day. I have others I also use, but I do have some collectables also. I find them to be a very user friendly knife. They haven't gained this great following all on hype-there is substance behind it. Hype may bring people to try them, but they stay because they are good knives. There are however alternatives also. Choice is yours. They work for me-figuratively and literally:)
They are also the easiest knife I have come across to break down, put together again and maintain

Last edited:
Not a question of monetary value my friend, I just can't wrap my head around paying 400 bucks for s35VN knowing their are much much much better deals on the market nowadays. This is why I made the post ..I was wondering "from owners" if they had any legs to stand on to justify the price I.e; ergomics,fit and finish, smoothness, any failures? Who knows man.

I agree, for 400 bucks, one would think Mr Reeve would have chosen a better blade steel. However, they have someone measuring each and every titanium handle to be sure they are as close to spec as possible. He claims this is what drives the cost up.

I just can't wrap my head around paying 400 bucks for s35VN knowing their are much much much better deals on the market nowadays.

I honestly don't believe this to be true. There are less expensive knives, but I don't believe that there's a better deal on the market. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. I think you'd have to spend a heck of a lot more than $400 to get a better knife, and I don't know that you can find a better knife at $600. In fact, I've handled $700 and $800 knives that I wouldn't trade straight up for my Inkosi which cost half that.

If you want a glamour knife go with one of those "better deals". If you want a user knife that's as close to perfection as a production knife can be get the Sebenza. I knew for a fact that I would never like a Sebenza until I owned one. Now I'm pretty sure I'll never like another knife more.

I don't think that s35vn is a poor choice in steel at all. It is easier to sharpen then some ofnthe more wear resistant steels. Also the more carbides a steel has the more brittle it gets. (Though PM processes seem to mitigate this)

Sharpenability is was important factor when choosing s35vn. That is also part of the reason CRK doesn't run it at max hardness.

Ya, depending on which model you get, it's a work knife. Mine goes to work every day Monday through Friday, rain or shine.

It doesn't see a ton of use because it's my backup (back pocket in a pouch). I've gone so knife nutty I actually carry 4 everyday. Seb in the back pocket, primary right front clipped, and SAK/gec in that same pocket loose.

This was my usual setup until the detent disappeared from my shiro so it's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months, now I rotate primary.

If you get a plain or micarta or any model YOU don't want to see with wear on it/couldn't bear scratching up a bit. Super dooper knives.

The stonewash on the blade is amazing for wear as well as the blasted titanium. I dig the look of a used CRK.

Tough as metal.

Last edited:
kUeuLqL.jpg

PRONs5d.jpg

p4RfSiJ.jpg

Yep. It's a work knife. Looks better with wear. You just gotta embrace it.

Get that better deal then. Just make sure to post up what you get here as counterpoint.

Hey, Aquaholicc, I'm never gonna 'use' it to your standards...does this drive you bonkers?! :p
34522106046_e40fcdf4ec_k.jpg

I agree with SpySmasher and Corey Hess. And there are plenty of deals on the market where you pay the price but don't get the value - CRK isn't one of them. To answer some of your questions, buttery smooth, tank lockup, no play, slicey.

Scratch up your CRK or it's gettin old? Send it in to their medbay to have it fully detailed.

I honestly don't believe this to be true. There are less expensive knives, but I don't believe that there's a better deal on the market. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. I think you'd have to spend a heck of a lot more than $400 to get a better knife, and I don't know that you can find a better knife at $600. In fact, I've handled $700 and $800 knives that I wouldn't trade straight up for my Inkosi which cost half that.

If you want a glamour knife go with one of those "better deals". If you want a user knife that's as close to perfection as a production knife can be get the Sebenza. I knew for a fact that I would never like a Sebenza until I owned one. Now I'm pretty sure I'll never like another knife more.
Lol what I'm getting at is you could buy a sprint of let's say a PM2 (I own the M390 one) and to me personal opinion seems to be just as good of a knife with a much much better steel. Sure the PM2 isn't as buttery smooth. But I can guarantee the ergonomics are better the traction is better and the FFG is a much better slicer all for only 180 bucks? Not to mention their are only 1800 of them out there. So my question to you guys is what makes a CRK double the price from my 1 of 1800 PM2? After all they are both "production folders" correct?

It must be something about the way it locks up or closes? Or is this knife basically the Walmart "Great Value" brand of a Shiro? Is that way it's so popular? Or are the Shiro in a while other realm?

Ps..
I'm not looking for the best deal out there(as money isn't really an issue) I'm just trying to understand why I should pay 400 bucks for this knife rather than buying a new Glock?

You can't cut things with a Glock. And new $400 for a glock? Not likely. I bought my large 21 with micarta inlays used at about $100 off new. Buying used can take the sting out of using an expensive knife if that is holding you back (it wasn't for me, I just like good deals). A ton of people use their CRKs. Lots of threads on the subject. It is a myth that these things don't get used. Just like most knives, lots of people just collect CRKs and that is fine too. Never fall into the mindset that people don't use their expensive stuff. It is all relative.

Back