crmov help please

there are a lot of knives using thes new steel names. I a m interested in buying one or two so I can test the steel.
here are some of the steels. can anyone rate them? I am curious as to what they are like or which steels are better.
5cr15mov
5cr13
7cr17mov
8cr14mov
8cr13mov
9cr18mov
9cr13comov
any advice as to which of there are worth buying is appreciated.

Scrappy,
You ask some very good questions here. First off, I'll give you the link to Spyderco's Steel Chart and Steel Education page. It is good reading and will give you an idea as to what elements in the steels you mentioned do. Also, I'd suggest reading Joe Talmadge's Steel FAQ, as it too is a great resource.

Selecting 'the right' steel is purely subjective and depends entirely on what you intend on doing with your knife. Instead of telling you what 'the best' steel is of the one's you've mentioned, I'm going to list similar steels (in bold) next to the ones you've listed, and I'll also list what type of activity I think that steel would be good at (also in bold). YMMV.

there are a lot of knives using thes new steel names. I a m interested in buying one or two so I can test the steel.
here are some of the steels. can anyone rate them? I am curious as to what they are like or which steels are better.
5cr15mov-12C27mod, 420HC: Kitchen use, boating, use around water
5cr13 AUS-4, 420HC, 13C26: Daily use where long-term edge retention and great corrosion resistance are not required, but easy sharpening is

7cr17mov 440A: Daily use where corrosion resisitance is desired over long term edge retention

8cr14mov AUS-8, 440B: Work knife, daily use, decent edge retention and decent corrosion resistance

8cr13mov AUS-8, 440B: Work knife, daily use, decent edge retention with a little less (than 8Cr14MoV) corrosion resistance
9cr18mov 440C: Work knife, daily use, good edge retention with great corrosion resistance
9cr13comov AUS-10, VG-10, ATS-55: Work knife, daily use, best edge retention with decent corrosion resistance

any advice as to which of there are worth buying is appreciated.

I would go with 8Cr13MoV and/or 9Cr13CoMoV for my personal EDC, if I had to pick between the ones you listed, but YMMV. Good luck!:)

Regards,
3G

Last edited:
yeah thanks +1 I appreciate the info too since I've been looking at knives that feature those steels.

3guardsman
I got a blackhawk blade with the steel you suggested and the quality is great. I also got a crkt edgie with the 5cr steel. both are well built and good quality.

One more happy soul for having paid attention to those of our ranks who know!!! Thanks guys, I enjoyed the thread too! I'm primarily a VG10 user.

Back