Crosscut Saw Thread

In fact, this could pertain to firewood saws in general (no chainsaws, there is plenty of discussion elsewhere on the web!). I would be glad to share what (very) little I know about crosscuts, bowsaws and bucksaws..

Some pics to get things rolling

Pile of white pine cut with a CC and double bit axe
Picture.jpg

Plaintooth CC working on a pine (fuel also pictured... Not a coke person by the way. just had that on hand)
Picture343.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen a few real short disston pruning saws... Has yours been cut down or was it made that length? The ones I have seen were hardwood patterns, 2 cutters per set.

The two-foot crosscut saw is a Disston and Sons No. 32, made that length; it has groupings of 2 teeth separated by rakers.

Last edited:
If you cut the ones owned by people who despised them, no hard feelings. Don't mess up the good ones though.

Old timers called them "misery whip saws". After spending time on them as a kid I understand why......Randy

That old saying came into use probably around the time when logging camps starting cutting corners and hiring incompetent filers. A good filer would usually earn ten times what the average man in the camp earned. There was a reason for that, that good saws cut more in a day, the work could actually be enjoyed and the moral stayed high. sawing with a bad saw will certainly enlighten you to where the term came from. On the other hand, a good saw cuts almost effortlessly and surprisingly quick.

Last edited:
That old saying came into use probably around the time when logging camps starting cutting corners and hiring incompetent filers. A good filer would usually earn ten times what the average man in the camp earned. There was a reason for that, that good saws cut more in a day, the work could actually be enjoyed and the moral stayed high. sawing with a bad saw will certainly enlighten you to where the term came from. On the other hand, a good saw cuts almost effortlessly and surprisingly quick.

Exactly this! A well-sharpened saw is a joy to use...a dull one is backbreaking misery. :D Saw sharpening is a fine art form I'm only just dipping my toe in, and it's no small task. I'm actually surprised the camp filer wasn't payed MORE! :eek::p

Exactly this! A well-sharpened saw is a joy to use...a dull one is backbreaking misery. :D Saw sharpening is a fine art form I'm only just dipping my toe in, and it's no small task. I'm actually surprised the camp filer wasn't payed MORE! :eek::p

I spent about 6 hours filing a Disston-Keystone 141 felling saw, that saw will cut a 26" pine in about 2 minutes at a lazy pace. If you hauled you could probably get it darn near a minute.

Just yankin your strings guys, I'd never cut up a good old saw, just beaters. ;-))

Best regards

Robin

I spent about 6 hours filing a Disston-Keystone 141 felling saw, that saw will cut a 26" pine in about 2 minutes at a lazy pace. If you hauled you could probably get it darn near a minute.

Now that's a beautiful thing right there. :cool::thumbup: I have an old saw vice, but I mostly use it while modifying machetes. Same thickness of stock in many cases. :D

Just yankin your strings guys, I'd never cut up a good old saw, just beaters. ;-))

Best regards

Robin

Thank goodness! Too few good ones left for that anyhow. :D

Awesome thread. When I first saw it, I said what the hell, but now reading this, this is some great info. I have seen many of these specimens at flea markets, and can say I don't know anything about these. The one in the picture looks like a beast, a child eater. Though my old workhorse Stihl out in the garage is saying to me right now "Don't you get any ideas"................

Back