1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Cult Of The Watch Pocket Carry.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by 555, Oct 24, 2012.

1. 555

555 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Cult Of The Watch Pocket Carry.:D

Last Summer I started to carry a Peanut in the watch pocket of jeans and work pants while still carrying 4 1/4+ frames. The Peanut carry was a great companion to the GEC 23 & Buck 110.

Depending on the maker of work pants, some watch pockets can handle a Cattle King. So the Peanut carry varies From a Peanut, to 3 1/4 to 3 5/8 case jack knives, etc.

Since joining the cult of the Peanut the watch pocket always is home to a smaller knife riding shotgun for the large working 3" + blades.

Haven't used a watch pocket this much since the days when a pocket watch was an EDC.
    Why I didn't get into this a long time ago gets me. The smaller blade options are great to have when carrying large 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 trappers, 4 1/4 stockmans, folding hunters and fixed blades. :thumbup:

Best of all, the choices of mixing or matching steels carried, depending on the weather and work.

Anyone else depend on there watch pocket aka small slip joint pocket for Peanut and other EDC's?

2. 300Bucks

300Bucks Moderator Moderator

Apr 19, 2005
    Use to wear uniform Wrangler jeans out an about the wildlands. Kept a peanut sized knife in the WP all the time, with a lightweight lockback on the belt for serious cutting. The small knife did 90% of the cutting needs. But had to have the bigger knife for the visual effect - i.e. Ranger aura.

Now I try to only wear pants that have a slot on the side to fit a cell phone in (not many kinds do) and they have no watch pocket. 300Bucks

3. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
    I do the same peanut & Zippo in the watch pocket and larger knife, moose, stockman, Opinel etc in right front pocket.
    I recently had my first watch pocket peanut induced blowout.
    [​IMG]

4. J Buck

J Buck

Jun 10, 2011
    Yep, I've been toting a peanut the last couple of months, I thought it was mandatory to carry it in the watch pocket of my Levi 501's! What a great little knife! It does most of the chores until I need something a little heavier. I'm currently trying out the Case BackPocket for that duty. I highly recommend the Peanut and watchpocket cult.

5. MunroClansman

MunroClansman

Apr 16, 2012
    I wear Wranglers, and the watch pocket just isn't deep enough for the stockman I EDC. I instead use it to carry a Zippo with a butane insert. Hope that counts.

6. 555

555 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2007
    It works for Flashlight carry too.

7. fatcorgi

fatcorgi

Nov 12, 2011
    I carry my knives in the watch pocket, regardless of size, currently I have a #73 GEC, at other times I have carried a victorinox CT41 (same size as a swisschamp), case swayback jack, case trapper, even the case/bose tribal spear. I like it because it is most easily accessible and it keeps the knife separate from all other things in my pocket that could scratch it. I haven't lost a knife yet (touchwood), though I have to transfer it to another pocket when I'm riding my bike.

8. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    The PAL is in my watch pocket almost every day, the old Remington bone makes a fine worry stone. All the others spend time in my watch pocket depending on the day.

Best regards

Robin
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

9. iahunter3

iahunter3

Mar 2, 2011
    I usually have a conductor, peanut, or pen in my watch pocket. The nicest one gets the special ride in the watch pocket, to keep it away from loose change, keys, etc.. My peanut may be my first victim of the "watch pocket lost" tho... haven't seen it in a couple of weeks.

10. ConBon

ConBon

Jan 17, 2012
    Woah, I thought that was how everyone carried their little knives. I started watch pocket carrying in the fourth grade, and unless I have a sheath or clip, still use it. It makes for a very secure way to hold knives, but I love it when the bolster sticks out enough that you can see it, because others can see that pretty bit of metal too. I have noticed that my Levis (501) don't have a very big watch pocket, so I can't carry a lot in it; but they are big enough that my stockmans can turn in them, making retreival hard. My Lee Dungarees (the carpenter ones) have a perfect sized pocket, snd they break in nice.

Just my $0.02,
    Connor

11. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Mine's been reserved solely for a Leatheman Micra for many years. Of course right below it is my traditional knife du jour.

12. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Hm... somehow strange and a little interessting to me. Being honest! In my watch pocket, I only can store one Peanut and the watchpocket is filled completelly. Nothing more will ever fit in there. It seems that german jeans have not that size of watch pocket.

I just tried it on a regular Wrangler (TM) jeans. The only thing I could (!!) add was a small Bic lighter, nothing else.

But when I EDC my Peanut, I use to carry it in the watch pocket, too. Depends on the mood and the pants I wear.

13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Thanks for the laugh. I like the picture too!

14. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
    I'm here for the laughs :)

15. Oddly enough, the watch pocket on my Wranglers seems to hold onto my Schrade 8OT stockman (3-7/8") more securely than it does a Peanut, or my Schrade 108OT (peanut-sized stockman). The pocket is relatively shallow and sort of diagonally-oriented, so it's more about the orientation than the size/depth of the pocket. I've managed to drop or nearly drop a Peanut from it a couple or three times, when sitting down. That knife is small & light enough that I don't necessarily feel or hear it drop. So, my 8OT or similar-sized folders go in the watch pocket, and the smaller knives go into my much-deeper front pocket, where they're more secure.

I have a couple pair of old 'Arizona' branded jeans (J.C. Penney house brand) which have 'watch pockets' perfectly sized for 4" folders. Vertically oriented pocket is ~2" wide, and it'll even hold a Buck 112 with just a hint of the brass peeking out the top. I wish more makers of jeans would do this with their watch pockets.

16. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Definitely in on this one!
    GEC 25EO, Swayback Jack, Canoe, Small Stockmans, and others. If there is a watch pocket, there is usually a knife in it.

17. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Same here. I only started carrying in WP over the last two years or so. Now that's pretty much my go-to knife-toting spot. I can easily fit a peanut or Victorinox Tourist, or Leatherman Micra or Buck 55.

-- Mark

18. Peregrin

Peregrin Moderator Moderator

Sep 2, 2004
    I've never used a watch pocket for a pocket knife, go figure. I generally don't use them at all, maybe occasionally for coins (which I carry only if I get change back).
    Now that I'm retired and can wear jeans everyday, instead of a suit, I'll have to try out the watch pocket/knife thing.

19. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    What's a suit?

:cool::D

20. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

Peregrin went forth as the King of Diamonds, dontcha know.

-- Watch pocket carry is okay, but I often walk with my hands in my pockets, and 1) If a knife's in my watch pocket, it bumps my right wrist or forearm and 2) I sometimes like to be able hold on to my knife (clearly not a euphemism ;)) when my hand's in my pocket, sort of like a worry stone.

~ P.