1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Curly Maple tomahawk handles ???

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Terry_Dodson, May 25, 2005.

1. Terry_Dodson

Terry_Dodson

Jul 10, 2002
    Where do you guys that make the tomahawks get your curly maple (fiddleback) handles from?

2. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Moderator

Nov 28, 2000
    First, Find a maple tree. :)

do a search on "dunlap woodcrafts"

It's best to just call and talk with Daniel at Dunlap.

3. hcambron

hcambron Banned by Moderators

Apr 14, 2005
  4. John L

John L Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Try Rade Hawkins #770-964-1023 and pricing from $12-30.

5. Wulf

Wulf

May 10, 2000
    I recently bought an 8' board (about 6"x1") with beautiful curl all the way through from a local hardwood supplier. I don't remember how much it cost but it was pretty cheap. Lot's of nice maple (and syrup!) up here in Vermont. The smaller planed pieces you see on eBay and suppliers' sites tend to be a lot more expensive per board foot and then there's the added cost of shipping too... I would check your local hardwood suppliers first.

6. Jay Mulcahy

Jay Mulcahy

Jun 13, 2004
    I bought one from Dixie Gun Works, I think it was about $9.00. Came shaped for the oval eye of the drift, sanded pretty smooth, and the curl was decent. I thought it was worth the price, and will probably order more from them.

7. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Has anybody used Sapelle pomelle for a hawk handle?