1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Custom wharncliffe in Elmax, bigger than my usual model

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by jonnymac44, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    A while back a forum member ordered a knife from me. He really liked my Mini Wharncliffe model but wanted something a bit larger, so this is what I came up with. It's what I'm going to call a Standard Wharnie, and it comes in at just under 8.5" overall length. This one was flat ground from .156" thick Elmax powdered stainless stock and heat treated by Peters to 60 RC. Lightning strike carbon fiber with thick red G-10 liners.

Feedback is welcome, thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

Compared alongside a Mini Wharncliffe XL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Huntsman Knife Co.

Huntsman Knife Co. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 10, 2010
    Beautiful! Looks very clean. A straight forward utilitarian blade in great steel. Looks like it will make a great user.

3. squints

squints

Sep 17, 2011
    I think that blade shape is actually more modified sheepsfoot than wharncliffe, but that's not really relevant to your actual work. The knife itself looks awesome, and comfortable to hold. How long is the blade alone?

4. RyanW

RyanW Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 17, 2009
    you are killing the Elmax! and top it off with the Lightning Strike CF... It was nice chatting with you today, you should have an Email!

5. David Sharp

David Sharp

May 23, 2008
    I'm a sucker for Sheepsfoot or Wharncliffe blades. I must say I like the larger version a lot better! Is that real red G10 or the ruby red?

6. kimsalls

kimsalls Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Great looking knife: clean lines, nice curves, texture, killer handle material choice. Love it.

7. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    I second all of that!

8. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    Ryan, good talking with you too buddy, have a safe flight tomorrow. I got the email, and the plan looks like it will work:thumbup:

David, this is the ruby red G-10 that Chuck at AKS has. I like it when it's at least .090" thick because you can see the color. If it's thinner than that it tends to be washed out and not bright enough for my tastes.

Thanks for the comments guys

9. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    That looks great Jon! Can't wait to use it :)

10. Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Feb 7, 2006
    Looks awesome Jonny!!! super clean grinds as always. Keep it up homie :)

11. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator

Jan 9, 2011
    Nice work!

12. ERIK KNIVES

ERIK KNIVES

Aug 17, 2010
    Looks sweet, Bud! I do like it better than the smaller one and they are both great. I have noticed and really like how you sweep the front on your slabs. clean looking transition in a very easy place to look less than elegant. I should cut back a little more than I have been.

Way to go.

13. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12

Jan 2, 2009
    Looking good, cant wait to own one of your knives.

14. Matt Brook

Matt Brook

Dec 22, 2009
    Looking good Jonny. Looks comfortable!

15. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

Oct 10, 2011
    I am in love. DAMN!

16. Shaw Blades

Shaw Blades

May 18, 2009
    Very slick

17. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    Got it yesterday Jonny, and I have to say that the finish is impeccable. The grinds are very even and symmetrical, so is the shaping and finishing of the handle scales. The sheath is also very well made and holds the knife with a nice, snug snap. Took some pics:

Here it is beside my Farid REX121 mule which I have yet to get scales put on:
    [​IMG]

A shot of the grind symmetry from the front:
    [​IMG]

Sheath with small Tek-Lok:
    [​IMG]

In-hand shot. I really love the handle to blade ratio in this knife. My (ahem) well-muscled mitts (ok, I have sausage fingers) tend to favor larger handles.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  18. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    I can't get enough of the lightning strike carbon fiber. Congrats gooeytek...that's a fine knife.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  19. RyanW

RyanW Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 17, 2009
    nice Grab Gooeytek! one of my favorites of Jonny's

20. redsquid2

redsquid2 Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Profile is great, the whole thing is beautifully done, and it looks tough as nails.