Cutting Blade Steel

Hi! I'm a frequent reader with a question for knife makers out there. I'm more of a knife buyer and user, myself, lol.

I've recently dug up a pretty good amount of 1950's-1960's era letterpress cutting blades in my garage. I would imagine that they are good steel for knife making or forging, but I'm not really into that end of knives. I'm looking for some input on if they would be useful to anyone...? Or, are they just scrap steel bound for the scrap yard?

They are varying thicknesses, maybe 1 to 1.5 inches in height, and somewhere around 36 to 48 inches long. Some are simply a flat, sharp edge and some have square teeth for cutting perforations, like ticket stubs, etc.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate the help. Maybe they are worth scrap; maybe they are worth something, maybe nothing; maybe I can trade them for a new knife or a freshly forged one :)

Thanks!!

ADK

Could be decent, do they rust? A spark test may help narrow it down, but isn't a definite answer. I know D2 is used as punch and shear blades, but no clue about older stuff like that. I might be interested in some, but we would have to continue that conversation off the forums.

-Xander

Thanks for the response...

They do rust, but after fifty years in a damp garage only the exposed ends have a very light surface rust. The remainder of the blades within the cardboard sleeve are fine.

I'll cut some into easily (and cheaply) mailable pieces... and post a few photos when I have a chance. I wouldn't mind sending out some chunks at my cost if someone is willing to check them out.

I wouldn't mind a piece that's 1/4" thick or slightly over. Could be D2 if there is minimal rust, but could be anything.

-Xander

I'll check out what I have in the garage this weekend and get back to you --- I know there are some thicker blades for shearing, but the punching blades are pretty thin and I would think may only be useful for forging rather than grinding into shape.

ADK

I took a look at them last night --- the thickest pieces are approx. 1/8 inch thick by about 1.5 inches wide. The thinnest are very thin, less than 1/16. It seems to be some type of "spring steel"...

ADK

No telling what they are. I would take them to a knife show and see about trading them with a maker who is interested. You haven't filled out your profile, so no one knows where you are. There may be someone near you who would take them and make a knife for you in trade. Filling in your info would help us help you.

That's a good point! I just edited my profile. I'm in way upstate, New York --- in the Mohawk Valley.

I have one PM with a person who would like to take a look at some. Other than that, I think I'll try out some local folks or craigslist and see if anyone could use it.

Feel free to PM me if you are near me! Thanks!

ADk

Back