1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

D-Guard short sabre

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by DanGraves, Jun 24, 2012.

1. DanGraves

DanGraves KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 5, 2006
    Here is a D-guard I just completed. Blade is W's in a staggered pattern. A 2 bar composite to make the one blade (one bar lower layer). Blade length is 17 3/4 inches and overall is 23 3/8 inches. 1/4 inch thick blade at guard with distal taper to tip. All Damascus fittings and stainless shield inlay (both sides). Steel is 1080 and 15n20 and handle is African Blackwood. Kind of a bugger to build. Still trying to learn how to photo a large blade. Sorry the pics are not better. Thanks for looking.

PS: Thanks to Bruce Bump for some great tips on making the Damascus for the blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    Awesome job Dan, I really like the new patterns you're making.

3. BladeApprentice

BladeApprentice

Jun 24, 2012
    B-E-A UTIFUL Damascus work. If I had the money I would by that on the spot.

4. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 1999
    Dan, I'm thrilled to play a small part of this beauty. Wow that's nice!

5. DanGraves

DanGraves KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 5, 2006
    Thanks guy's. Darrin, sorry I could not have a hammer in this year. Would have liked to spend some time with you. Will be having a fall hammer inn.
    Dan
    And thanks again Bruce.

6. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    Sounds good Dan. You know I'm in.

7. Dan Pierson

Dan Pierson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 24, 2003
    Beautiful work period! The damascus is great, but everything else looks right up to that mark.

8. BladeApprentice

BladeApprentice

Jun 24, 2012
    Agreed, but the damascus really caught my eye.