1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Damascus and Hippo Ivory Sui and paring

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by HHH Knives, May 23, 2012.

1. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    Here are a pair I just finished up. Wanted to share some images and the specs. The Siji is my first Left hand ground knife ever!! :) Both knives were sharpened entirely on stones.. Something I have found to be better and giving me a much nicer OOTB edge!

Suji:
    OAL, 446mm
    Blade, 300mm.. heel to tip 1080 and 15n20 Feather pattern.
    Heel, 45mm high
    Spine, 2.2mm heel, tapering to 1mm a inch behind the tip
    Grind, Left hand convex ground.
    Handle, 130mm long 25.2mm front height, 26.7mm back height. 18mm wide front 19.5mm wide back.
    Materials, Stabilized curly redwood and Hippo tooth. mosaic pins.

Paring:
    OAL, 206mm
    Blade 10mm heel to tip, 1080/15n20 feather damascus
    Heel 29mm high
    Spine, 1.8mm above heel tapering to .81mm a inch behind the tip.
    Grind, 50/50 full flat blended convex edge.
    Handle, 95mm long
    Materials, Stabilized curlu redwood and hippo tooth, mosaic pins.

Thanks for looking, as always. Comments and or critiques welcomed.

God Bless

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. bigjuice

bigjuice

May 8, 2004
    Beautiful work, the attention to details in the handles is impressive. You take great pride in your work!

I was curious about the length of the suji so went and researched. Looks like a heck of a slicer.

3. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks much. I love making knives and really do take great price in every piece the come out of my shop!! The Suji has a 12" blade actual cutting edge. It is one heck of a slicer.
    It was chosen as editors choice on knivesdotcom this month. :) I would drop a link but dont want to break any forum rules.. Feel free to check it out though! :)

4. Dan Pierson

Dan Pierson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 24, 2003
    Little Freudian slip there Randy? :)

The knives are absolutely beautiful.

5. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    hehehe.. :) Yea I meant Pride.. :) But truth be told I do fetch a great price for most of them.. :D

God Bless

6. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    600 + views. and only 2 comments. are these that damn ugly?

I just wanted to share that these were picked as Editors choice June 2012. at knives dot com. It is a honor to have them highlighted and I wanted to share.

7. someoldfart

someoldfart Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Beautiful knives, I love the feather damascus.

8. protourist

protourist Sailin' a reach before a followin' sea. Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Those are absolutely gorgeous. Being left hand ground makes them danged near perfect.

9. KSV02

KSV02

Mar 7, 2012
    Love the Feather Pattern.

10. Bhamster

Bhamster

Mar 27, 2004
    They are stunning. I would be a bit afraid to use something so pretty. I am sure they slice lovely though.

11. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I sure love them.

I have looked more than once!!!!!

12. Dago Red

Dago Red

Jun 16, 2008
    They are gorgeous! if I were a top chef that warranted the salary to be able to have knives like these I'd definitely order some up. I love the handle on the paring knife especially, but the first blade is just impressive.

Would you explain to a novice what the left hand grind is and what it does? I seem to remember a sushi chef telling me one time about the grinds and how it affected a sushi knife, but can't remember offhand.

Red

13. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks much for the comments on these. :) I was able to speak to the owner of these knives last week. and hes very pleased with them, and the petty/paring knife was a gift for his wife. and she loves it and wont even let him use it! lol :) Making Knife Knuts one blade at a time. :)

14. Chefget

Chefget Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    A truly beautiful knife Randy :thumbup:

-Michael

15. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    Thank you Chef! :)

16. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I am still surprised there are not a ton more comments on these. I have been back and oogled these more times than I can count!

17. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    lol, Thanks for the comment. I am happy that you like the knives! Thanks for the complement! :) God Bless YA!

18. chippedblade

chippedblade

May 26, 2010
    Man those knives are on FIRE !!!

19. BonhamBlades

BonhamBlades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 13, 2010
    wow, beautiful!

20. HHH Knives

HHH Knives

Nov 19, 2010
    Thank you all so much for the great complements and checking these out!!!