1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Dear TOPS Knives, Please hire someone who knows English to describe your products.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by retzius, Mar 19, 2012.

1. retzius

retzius

Sep 17, 2009
    So, TOPS Knives.

They tout they are made in America to exacting specs.

However, if you read the descriptions of the knives on their website, they appear to have been written by a foreign special needs child failing ESL.

Here is a good description of their typical product blurb:

"It is made if micarta which actually improves the grip when wet and is designed to be fatter in the middle to give maximum human hand grip, no matter how slippery from water or blood."

or this:

"To this end, Hawke's Hellion is designed to wreak havoc on both sets of needs specifically for the Survivor to have 2020 vision for jobs big and small."

or this:

"Likewise, it's good practice to pull a knife from the wood by rocking it forward and backwards in line with the blade edges and not sideways or "wide ways" which is left and right of the blade edges; basically, move in the direction of edges, not the flat of the blade."

I would buy one of their products but based on these I conclude they make their knives in America but leave their marketing to Chinese school children, or, they just dont care about the product which makes me want to buy them even less.

TOPS. Take some advice, what you put on your website reflects on your product.

Step it up!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. jwh

jwh

Apr 23, 2010
    Maybe they spent all of their time in shop class instead of English. I just got their latest catalog and while it's not impressive I do like the TOPs knives that I own.

jwh

3. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Whatever the case may be, let's leave specific nationalities out of it (unless you have proof said writers are in fact from that country).

4. rookie4real

rookie4real

Aug 15, 2007
    LMAO sounds not too terrible to me besides "if micarta" part, but my English sucks, so I'm not for hire. You should post this in W&C imo :)

5. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    retzius,

I seem to recall that the people at TOPS come from Special Operations and LEO backgrounds. Perhaps they were too busy keeping America safe than in getting their 3-Rs down to your satisfaction.

So what are your qualifications? An English degree? :rolleyes:

6. twid

twid

Apr 7, 2009
    Sal spells stuff like "Spyder" and "Thanx". I'm not buying that crap anymore. :rolleyes:

7. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    I thought the first and third examples were just fine.
    I thought the insulting descriptions of the writers was unnecessary and pretty obviously inaccurate.

8. Ken44

Ken44 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Good grief, what could you not understand man???

I'm not a fan of the knives, but that wording sure wouldn't keep me from buying one.

9. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Must be nice to be perfect. Maybe it's a sign that you should apply for the job and set the record straight? Step up ;)

10. trevytrev

trevytrev

May 4, 2010
    I dont sea any problems with there wording.

11. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    I see what you did there! :p

12. nickortizzle1035

nickortizzle1035

Dec 30, 2009
    I have only owned one TOPS knife. It was nice, but it came as dull as dull can be. It took me hours to put a working edge on it. Other than that small hiccup, I have been very pleased with their knives.

13. squints

squints

Sep 17, 2011
    I find it rather amusing that you automatically equate poor grammar to foreign-written material. I'm Chinese, and I daresay my grammar is better than most "Americans'."

14. EricV

EricV Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2008
    There is far worse grammar to be found with many other brands, so who cares...

"How its made" on discovery channel is covering shotguns right now FYI. Much more interesting than grammar BS.

15. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Spec Opz pefer TOPS cuz de is hard to da core.:D

16. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    This was part of the quotes that you gave: "To this end, Hawke's Hellion is designed to wreak havoc..."
    A foreign-born person that doesn't have a decent knowledge of the English language is not likely to have written that. It is just as likely that we have a high-school graduate that was better in gym class than in English class. I was once a teacher in a big city.
    Did you ever watch a guy in a burger place try to make change for you?
    Sonny

17. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Didn't wanna say it, but yea. I'm the same way.

18. Bill1170

Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    Agree. The blurbs look like they were written by native English speakers who were never English majors. A lot of very intelligent people make up in practical ability what they lack in language skills.

19. uyotg

uyotg Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Apostrophe before the period :p

20. scotchleaf

scotchleaf

Oct 23, 2006
    Apparently they do the opposite of most companies: their products are made by Americans, marketed by foreigners.