1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Decent D Guard Tutorial... 14 BIG pics...

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by KnifeAddictAK, Jun 30, 2005.

1. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003
    Aight... I'm going to attempt to explain how to do the guard in case anyone was wondering... If not, just consider this me entertaining myself ;) :p

YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A BUSSE, WITH A REAR AND FRONT TALON HOLE. I USE 15 FEET (overkill but safer) OF 550 CORD. IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A VISE, THIS WILL MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU. IF NOT, HOLD IT BETWEEN YOUR KNEES OR FEET (keep it mostly sheathed for safety of course).

THIS IS DONE EDGE UP BLADE FACE AWAY FROM YOU...

STEP 1: FEED APPROX. 12" OF 550 CORD THROUGH REAR TALON HOLE ENTERING ON THE RIGHT AND EXITING ON THE LEFT. YOU SHOULD HAVE 12" OF PARACORD STICKING OUT THE LEFT SIDE AND THE REMAINING AMOUNT ON THE RIGHT LIKE SO:

[​IMG]

STEP 2: TAKE THE LONGER STRAND AND FEED IT THROUGH THE FRONT TALON, LEFT TO RIGHT AND PULL TIGHT. ADJUST IT TO YOUR LIKING ON HOW TIGHT YOU WANT YOUR D GUARD. LIKE SO:

[​IMG]

STEP 3: CONTINUE WITH THE LONG STRAND AND FEED IT, LEFT TO RIGHT THROUGH THE REAR TALON LIKE SO: (pull tight again to liking)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 4: CONTINUE WITH THE LONG STRAND AND FEED IT THROUGH THE FRONT TALON HOLE RIGHT TO LEFT AND AGAIN, PULL TIGHT TO LIKING:

[​IMG]

YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE 3 STRANDS WITH BOTH ENDS OF THE PARACORD COMING OUT THE TALON HOLES ON YOUR LEFT (in opposite holes):

[​IMG]

Peter La likes this.
  2. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003
    STEP 5: NOW TAKE THE LONGEST 550 STRAND (the one you have been working with) AND RUN IT THROUGH THE 3 STRANDS RUNNING PARALLEL WITH YOUR HANDLE. GO UNDER THE FIRST OVER THE MIDDLE AND UNDER THE LAST.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 6: NOW REVERSE THE STEP, GOING UNDER THEN OVER THE MIDDLE THEN UNDER:

[​IMG]

STEP 7: CONTINUE THE PROCESS CHANGE BACK AND FORTH AS YOU MOVE ON.

[​IMG]

STEP 8: DO A FEW PASSES AND THEN TAKE YOUR TIME TIGHTENING IT UP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 9: AS YOU NEAR THE END, YOU'LL FIND THAT IT WILL BE A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT TO WEAVE THROUGH THE STRANDS. NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS WILL HELP AND JUST TAKE YOUR TIME.

[​IMG]

STEP 10: ONCE YOU CAN NO LONGER FEED THE STRAND THROUGH, YOU CAN TOY WITH YOUR OWN PREFERRED NOT OR USE THE EXCESS TO MAKE A LANYARD, ETC....

[​IMG]

IT'S ALL ABOUT FUN AND TAKES SOME TIME TO LEARN (Atleast for me). IT TOOK ME A FEW TRIES AND YOU'LL LEARN HOW MUCH TO TIGHTEN AND WHEN TO, ETC.... I WILL ADVISE YOU, THAT MY D GUARDS HAVE COME OUT FAVORING THE RIGHT SIDE, MEANING THE ARE OFFSET TO THE RIGHT LOOKING ON IT LIKE THE LAST PIC ABOVE.... HOPE YOU ENJOY :cool:

3. Peter La

Peter La

Mar 26, 2005
    Great job KAAK, those instuctions are much better than the ones on badmojo. :)

4. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks... I am the worst at trying to explain things without it sounding like gibberish lol... So luckily I have a camera :D

My buddy taught me this and he has a 5 strand wrap (Hopefully coming soon ;) ) on a PBF in kydex, reverse grip. It is a very snug fit on the hand and allows for the carrier to change pistol magazines, etc.. without having to drop the knife. Not something I would use myself, but in his line of work and others, maybe worth a though :)

5. G19G26

G19G26

Nov 19, 2001
    Thanks for a really good post. Gonna try this on one of my Desert Tans.

Thanks again :cool:

6. frogfish

frogfish Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Great job KAAK you are a multi talented guy :eek: :D :eek:

7. book'em

book'em

Dec 21, 2004
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying this on a new Steel Heart.

8. Dark Nemesis

Dark Nemesis

Mar 20, 1999
    Ok, those directions rock! Even I could follow them if needed. Hey, PM coming your way.

9. papathud

papathud Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Outstanding,

Copied, saved,,,showed to wife.

She said to send her the link,,,,and of course you know I did.

Thank you

10. steelswing

steelswing

Jan 28, 2003
    Nice! my wife is the Dguard Queen says it was a good Tut she says she wished shed seen it a couple years ago. I hope she dosen't expect me to do them now:)
    Peace

11. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for all your compliments. :cool:

I have to make a couple slight corrections that I have found after doing these repeatedly lol. Rather then every few rows, tighten every two rows. It will help keep it more uniform. And you should be able to get away with just 15 feet of paracord to do the 3 strand wrap shown above.

Hope this doesn't mess anyone up. And post some pics too. It's always fun to see them.

12. Silas

Silas

Jul 22, 2004
    KAAK-

Great directions as everyone has already said. I'm not much of a D-Guard person but your step by step tutorial looks so easy, I might do it for kicks and giggles.

silas

13. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    I might try this soon, I just wanted to bring it back up.

14. Peter La

Peter La

Mar 26, 2005
    The instructions are great, I used about five feet of 550 for mine (I think) and it worked our great. It is really easy to do.

15. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003
    Glad you guys enjoy. Really helps guard the middle knuckles when removing brush. :cool:

16. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    well, I bookmarked the page, since I will have to wait until I get a big Busse to try it. I think it would be silly on a Anorexic badger.:)

17. brianNH

brianNH

Dec 16, 2002
    I was just thinking about this and lo an behold you post. Thanks Knifeaddict !!

Great instructions and pics. :thumbup: :thumbup:

KnifeAddict sure got some purty hands dont he?????????

18. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003

Bwahahahahahhahaa.... LMAO :D :eek: :D

19. SNAFU

SNAFU

Nov 27, 2005
    Thanks, I'll be trying it when my knives get here.

20. Eric Isaacson

Eric Isaacson Pirate

Dec 19, 1999
    Great Post and also I don't want Fixer27 to win Jerry's contest with his trolling behavior. Come on everyone join in and ignore Fixer27's post.

:D:D