1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Design feedback on a general purpose survival. Now WIP. Done! :)

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by peppen108, Jun 1, 2012.

1. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    Overall lenth 10"
    Thickness 3,5mm
    Steel AEB-L

[​IMG]

Feel free to leave any kind of feedback not just limited to the but.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. scs.knives

scs.knives

Mar 5, 2010
    I think B is the best design out of those 3, but if I was going to survive I'd want a bigger knife.

3. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    Yes I´m a bit limited by the thickness of the stock I can get a hold of right now. This knife will have to be the companion of a foldable saw.

4. Danbo

Danbo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 28, 1999
    I like "A".

5. JustAFleshWound

JustAFleshWound

Jan 10, 2012
    Your design is great!! Though, I personally prefer wider blades. Out of the three, I like "A" the best.

6. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket Moderator

Apr 15, 2010
    The guard is far too large in all three drawings. It doesn't need to be that obtrusive to keep your hand from slipping onto the edge, and will be in the way during fine cutting tasks.

7. JustAFleshWound

JustAFleshWound

Jan 10, 2012
    I agree, I think you could trim maybe half of that guard off, and then bring the blade down to it.;) Something like this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  8. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    I disagree about the guard being to large, BUT, I think that it can be thinned out a bit and "sculpted". James, if you don't like guard that size, you are going to HATE the prototypes that i am working on now. :D

9. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    Great feedback! I have made some what of a bastard. I am not shore about it, some thing is of and it needs trimming.

[​IMG]

10. Jaytaylor

Jaytaylor

Feb 9, 2012
    IMO c. is the best, the flat pommel will double up for hammering assuming full tang.

Much like a Fallkniven A1.

11. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

I am still thinking about the tang. Since its hard scales the tang has to protrude quite a bit if it´s to be used for hammering.

12. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    This is a concept for a protruding tang I have been thinking about.

[​IMG]

13. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009

As a "Survival knife" keep in mind that the top design is going to have a big stress riser at the 90* angle of the guard and that is where you blade is going to break if to much stress is applied there.

The bottom design has much less chance of breaking in a hard use situation although I would deepen the finger groove up front a bit more.

14. Hawk45

Hawk45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2005
    B3... looks like a longer, thinner non-ramped BRKT Bravo 1. What kind of grind are you going to put on it?

15. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks for charing that insight AVigil.

@Hawk45. The only grind I can kind of do is a flat grind. I´m thinking about 20 degrees. Then maybe an convex micro bevel.

16. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Maker of Stuff - Teller of Tales - Master of Jack Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Those profiles remind me of an SRK, which my wilderness skills mentor thinks is an excellent design. Make some prototypes out of wood and play around with the feel. The perfect survival knife is a myth. I've come full circle several times and have accepted that the user plays a bigger role than the blade. Make what YOU want to make and ask for ideas when you hit roadblocks.

Rick

17. blgoode

blgoode

Oct 3, 2003
    Rick is spot on. Keep playing with the designs and make em.....then see what you think :)

18. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    Oki! Thanks guys. This will be the last sketch on this knife.

[​IMG]

19. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Maker of Stuff - Teller of Tales - Master of Jack Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    I urge you to make some wooden prototypes. I personally think you will have problems with the integral guard of that last drawing. The palm swell will bring your hand forward and that edge will be a very sharp reminder.

20. peppen108

peppen108

Apr 14, 2012
    Ok, I will.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012