• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Diamond J Knives, What happened to them?

It is possible, though, to have hard luck stories and not sh*t on a trusting community. Just say'in.

Has anyone heard anything from Dan or Marce???

I called Dan's cell phone earlier this week, but it went to voicemail. I didn't bother to leave a message.

I haven't heard from Dan either, I think I had a brief hi how are you type exchange on google chat since last time I posted, but that was it. It is very frustrating, and as much as I like to be nice (we all like to pretend sometimes :) ) it is b.s. nobody coming forward on the forum and personally saying what is going on instead of it all being second hand from delayed/possibly burnt clients. The timeline is what's really grating on me, since it does appear that the delays were already a problem before the car accident. The accident is beyond their control and if you're f-d up to where you can't work then you can't work. What's the reason for the delay BEFORE the accident and why no post on here explaining it to everybody?

When I discussed the situation with Dan before he had agreed to refund my money versus giving me the knife which at this point I don't want and is too late to be the intended gift, I'm guessing getting that money was predicated on them making some knives and selling them. Apparently they aren't getting them turned out. At this point at least if I had a knife in hand I could sell it and recoup some of my money.

Red

I have sent many emails with no returns. After reading here, calling them is not any better. I think I might just write them off as a lost cause. Too bad I think their knives would have gotten better over time.

My guess is that there's no intention of resolving anything. Lesson learned, to say the least, and it's an unfortunate one for the entire knife community; one that's founded on trust and mutual respect.
I'm sure that absolutely everyone would be very understanding of a problem and give the persons in question whatever time they need to resolve whatever issues they have, but something else seems to be at work here. $335 isn't easy to come by these days and I'm the one who ultimately parted with it so that won't be happening again unless in person or from an ironclad reputation.
I know what it's like to be down in the dumps, but I don't know what it's like to rip people off. Hopefully there's a recovery of integrity here, but I won't be holding my breath.
On a side note, you can cancel my order for now and return an even $300. Consider the extra to be your fee for teaching me to be more intelligent in the future.

I sent them emails again a few days ago, I can't remember offhand if I paid 230 or 240. Mine at least wasn't made yet, it sounds like at least one person didn't get a knife that was finished already. I had an experience over a decade ago where something was sold to two different people accidently (i was told) and was going to get a replacement, never happened, but that was only 80 bucks so maybe too little to learn from :D

I did ask in my email when the accident was, my order was end of May, I just am trying to figure a timeline here. I still wish them the best and recovery. It may be so bad that they have no money and are unable to work so no way of making any to start digging out. I hope things improve for them AND we all get our $$ or knives.

Red

At some point they are just thieves and need to be held accountable.

$300 - $400 would be worth a some, well a lot of my time to contact the Post Mater General if paid via USPS Money Order or the local Police Department.

Sure if they've had an accident or such but there's something wrong with this situation- the timing etc.

To write it off when you just don't know is foolish.

Heck if you called the Police Department they might know if there was an accident or not? They might have stolen from others? Until you try you'll never find out.

Good point. I had some interaction with law enforcement in San Diego when stationed at Camp Pendleton. Maybe I'll call the Sheriffs and local police just to see. Nothing online turned up which would suggest bullsh*t.

I've spent some time with Dan and Marce in their shop. They've graciously taken the time (probably 14 hours+ so far) to hand-hold me through the knife making process. I feel like I'm a half decent judge of character...and I think both are decent upstanding people. Last communication I had with them Dan mentioned email issues and being swamped busy. I'd bet my left nut (it's the big one) that they'll be back in communication and up to full speed shortly.

So are you near to them - do you know or could you find out if the shop is opened or closed?

From what I can tell they're closed up. I knew these guys somewhat, and like them both quite a bit, and they aren't letting me know what's going on at all. I'm going to miss my left nut.

Three different times today he popped up as online in gmail, I tried chatting with him all three times (right now one of them), and nothing. at this point I guess I'll just figure it's money lost and lesson learned. if anything ever comes of it I would be pleasantly surprised.

Now I'm damn curious about details, doubt that'll ever be satisfied.

The La Mesa Police suggesting starting with your local police department. They also said that the jurisdiction for that address is the San Diego County Sheriff's Office.

Local pd? hell, local pd won't even come out and fingerprint when somebody saws your catalytic converter off your vehicle (trust me, I know), they ain't gonna look into a 2xx dollar knife! :D If anybody can at least find out when the accident took place though I'd be interested. I know that at least Dan is around ,he pops up on gmail from time to time, I immediately message him every time I see it but never get a reply. :D

No reports online which would suggest the outside chance that they're pieces of sh*t. Bad karma alert so whatever their problem is will be getting significantly worse.

found out from brief chat with sister that they've been hospitalized again, I don't know for how long but apparently more complications from the accident. Just keeping everybody else posted, it explains why no work and no contact.

found out from brief chat with sister that they've been hospitalized again, I don't know for how long but apparently more complications from the accident. Just keeping everybody else posted, it explains why no work and no contact.

It doesn't explain it for me - Dan can get onto gmail but can't post here? Sister can't come and post what's going on on their behalf? Sorry but in my book this doesn't add up. These guys need to show some bloody responsibility.

A Hollywood starlet told her agent husband she wanted a divorce. He said, fine, but I am still your agent. She said no way, I don't anything to do with you. He said, sorry, baby -- we got a contract!

Business is business. Can't always make every customer happy, but you can get on the phone and say you're sorry. These guys may be too embarrassed to face the music, but they have to understand their customers would be playing a nicer song if they weren't being ignored.

Business is business...snip...they have to understand their customers would be playing a nicer song if they weren't being ignored.

Absolutely Esav, I think that everyone here showed that initially, then when contact stopped people understandably got a little pissed off - I personally would be happy to postpone getting my knife if requested - without the BS and with some sort of time frame.

Back