Dismantling a Warthog, or "Hey, Wanna See My Tang?"

In fact, I'm trying not to think about the fact that I have no idea how I'm going to replace that lanyard tube when the time comes to put my knife back together.

I'm pretty, but maybe not all that smart.

Beckerheads make brl head hurt. Brl smash!

You are cracking me up dude. :D

BRL,

Go to your local auto supply store and see if you can find some automobile tubing (Brake or hydraulic line) the correct or close diameter. Cut off the length you need, insert and then flair out the ends to hold it in place.
A good old time hardware store may also have tubing of some sort to accomplish the same.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks Toooj! That will be my backup plan... I've spotted a cool option, just it's not cheap so I've been holding off. I'll crack soon, I'm sure of it.

What's $15 when compared to eternal Internet glory?

Here is pic of a roll pin(s)

f6OSQmqqJdgz8NkR6InPtw-4PIMG4HoNLYBe4xpyddVDDFRjLNjNOQTExYqPgHzsIsb0U1ZBCdxX4YBxEt6nBPF--8Vtr5xQc7hcRFwlQqQ1Cb7UGJ2gRqhoiLN8mBmh2NDpIJIg-WSbCZp4LZqFqCnEdTi3j249

Those would work great.

I like the original handle as well. But it is too big for my hand. I was actually thinking about using the Dremel tool on it & reducing it some so it kinda looks like the BK&T Givory from the top view.

Or you could get some aluminum tube, cut it to length, then flare it out w/hammer & punch.

Great pix. Love the radiusing on the transition from blade to tang. Good stuff. :thumbup:

MOAR PICS!

Seriously, where are the rest of the pics? We needs em!

worked on the Warthog more this weekend; sanded, etched, and patina. Long way to go still. Might be a while for pics.

worked on the Warthog more this weekend; sanded, etched, and patina. Long way to go still. Might be a while for pics.

I changed a handle on a Kukri and a Cutlass. I went back with 1/4" by 1 1/4" tensioned roll pins. Worked great. $1.04 at Lowe's, for both. Yar.

Moose

thanks! i should be covered for the pin... problem is the etch, the patina, and the handle itself :)

the makeover did not go as planned.

My Grass Machete had a touch of rattle, which I knew about before I got it. The play didn't bother me at first, but I eventually decided to fix it.
I tried drilling the lanyard tubing, but it started spinning. So I pressed it up enough to cut off one end with a dremel sanding disk.
Going back, I used a part for a Coleman lantern (shown below). It's brass, already flared on one end, and almost the right size.
I had to open up the lanyard tube hole in the tang just the slightest bit, and did so with a little Dremel grinding bit. After that procedure, everything went together fine.
With a healthy dose of epoxy on the blade, I slid everything together, cut off the new brass tubing with my sanding disk, and flared the other side using a hex bit.
Good as new, no more play in the handle. Below, you can see the difference in color between the two lanyard tubes.

51UMot8NcJL.jpg

P1030614.jpg

Last edited:
man, that tube looks factory-made! I need to learn this skill, want to re-handle some knives. Also good to know those kabars get a faired tang shoulder.

That pin looks good, Guyon. Brass almost always looks better to me than stainless or nickel.

The two Grass Machetes I tried out at my local toy store both had wobble, which is what led me to getting my Warthog.

Tyrantblade, that looks really cool man. How's it feel?

Nice pinning work, Guyon. Sucks about the rattly handles; I'm really glad I had issues only with my warthog and not my cutlass or heavy bowie (aside from, well, you know).

Thank you for all the kind words,The size is perfect a little smooth for a chopper,Here is some pics of it in my hand so you can see the how it
sits in the hand.I stipple Glock as a side business I'm going to stipple it to make it grippier.(I know,not a word)
This weekend I will post pics of me using it at our shelter site if people want me too.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj207/tyrantblade_photos/IMAG0099.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj207/tyrantblade_photos/IMAG0100.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj207/tyrantblade_photos/IMAG0101.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the Toooj handle, I would put it back on, once the handle was epoxied in place. It really works well for the blade shape and weight.

Plus, other than doing a micarta hollow out, there's nothing that I would want as a handle material.

Moose
You could always copy the Toooj handle in micarta, just for a different look.

Back