Do I need a Chapparal?

Or should I just buy the ZDP Stretch that I had my eye on for a few months? I hear good things about the Chap and Stretch alike. I know they're two very different knives, but if you had to chose one, which would it be?

I have the Chaparral in my pocket right now. I own the Stretch in VG10, but it is larger than I usually want in my pocket.
The Chaparral isn't noticed, but is a fine knife.
If you want a bigger knife, there are plenty of Spydercos to choose from, including the Stretch.

i had the chaparral today in my pocket at work...fantastic.

i think you should choose between sage 1 and chaparral

I have Sages that I really love so I don't find the chaparral all that appealing (at the moment) . I do like the stretch though and it looks like it would have comfortable ergos.

We all know you're gonna get both anyway. :D

I already have a Sage 1, so that's why I didn't add it into the equation. That also has me leaning towards the Stretch because I do already have a very similar knife in the Sage. What intrigues me about the Chapparal, though, is the super thin blade that should make it a great slicer.

I have a Sage 1 and just recently got the Chaparral which is in my pocket right now. The Chaparral is 3/4 of the size of the Sage 1 and the blade thickness is half of the Sage 1 making it a wicked slicer. Due to its smaller size you don't even notice it in the pocket which is great for an EDC around the office. I like both and once the new wears off the Chaparral they will both see equal pocket time. As I am sure you know the Chaparral is a lock back and doesn't have an open frame design like the Sage 1.

Couple weeks ago I got the opportunity to handle the stretch for the first time at the Spyderco Factory Outlet store and it is now on my short list to purchase. It fits right between the Delica and Endura but with a thinner blade making it an excellent slicer from what I have read online. I am keeping my eye out for one of the sprint run stretch's in carbon fiber and ZDP189.

I have a Sage 1 and just recently got the Chaparral which is in my pocket right now. The Chaparral is 3/4 of the size of the Sage 1 and the blade thickness is half of the Sage 1 making it a wicked slicer. Due to its smaller size you don't even notice it in the pocket which is great for an EDC around the office. I like both and once the new wears off the Chaparral they will both see equal pocket time. As I am sure you know the Chaparral is a lock back and doesn't have an open frame design like the Sage 1.

Couple weeks ago I got the opportunity to handle the stretch for the first time at the Spyderco Factory Outlet store and it is now on my short list to purchase. It fits right between the Delica and Endura but with a thinner blade making it an excellent slicer from what I have read online. I am keeping my eye out for one of the sprint run stretch's in carbon fiber and ZDP189.
I saw a ZDP/CF Stretch for a great price a few months ago and am kicking myself for not buying it.

This thread has pushed me over the edge...Chaparral purchased to replace my Mini Griptilian as my EDC.

The Chaparral is super thin and light. I also don't own any linerlocks.

John

The Chaparral is super thin and light. I also don't own any linerlocks.

John
That's another reason that has me considering the Chap. I feel like it'd be great to carry when wearing a suit because of the thinness and light weight.

Dang. Really cant make up my mind between the Chap and Sage1. At first I was leaning towards the chap since it is smaller folded, but if im spending $100, why not get the extra length and thickness of the blade. I already have a Dfly so i could always use that when i want something small. Decisions decisions.

I love how thin the chap is, but it seems like the sage1 would fit better in the hand since it is taller.

I've got the Native 4 FFG / Carbon Fiber and I'm trying to decide if I really need a Chaparral. I've also got a few different Dragonflies (including a G10 version) and a Sage 1... so I continually attempt to justify a Chaparral but never end up pulling the trigger.

Keep in mind it's in between the size of the Native and the Dragonfly (and the Native is a bit smaller than the Sage).

Dang. Really cant make up my mind between the Chap and Sage1. At first I was leaning towards the chap since it is smaller folded, but if im spending $100, why not get the extra length and thickness of the blade. I already have a Dfly so i could always use that when i want something small. Decisions decisions.

I love how thin the chap is, but it seems like the sage1 would fit better in the hand since it is taller.

Unless you plan to be doing heavy cutting in tough material the size of the chaparral in the hand is perfect in my opinion. It is big enough to feel and handle like a full size folder in a slightly smaller package. I have larger hands and wear XL gloves to give you an idea of my handsize. The manbug and dragonfly for me don't feel right in my hand, the chaparral is just right.

From reading the thread title alone, my answer was YES. The Chaparral, the Sage 2, and the Para 2 are probably my favorite Spydercos. I had mine with me today and it really disappears in your pocket but it is definitely enough knife for most jobs. So, yes, I'd say you need one.

get them both and carry them together, they're a great combo! The stretch seems to be overlooked alot but really its such a great design with a great blade shape! I love mine.

(One of) my lasy question(s) before I make up my mind. The blade on the Chaparral is .078 inches (2 mm) thick. Is it too thin? As in, when you are using it, does it feel fragile? Any and all responses welcome. Thanks

Back