1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Does a Bear Shit in the Woods?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by leghog, Jul 17, 2017.

1. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    No, he shits on the trail.

[​IMG]

2. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    This has been my experience as well. Totally unfair too, as trail etiquette requires me to go 200' off trail, dig a hole, do my business and cover. Bears act like they own the place!

mewolf1 and HCrum87hc like this.
  3. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Did you find any rabbit fur?

4. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Any bells, whistles or bear spray cans in that?--KV

LG&M and Grateful like this.
  5. The Warrior

The Warrior Dubzerator Moderator Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    I do wear a large bear bell on my pack. I never see them, at least not while on the trail. My son sees dozens a year in the same haunts and on the same trails when he's out without me.

7. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Macchina likes this.
  8. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    The give away with bear poop is , in the right season , is seeds from things like blackberrys !

9. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    My wife and I were just doing a section hike on the AT in North Carolina about 6 weeks ago. Around midnight my wife frantically woke me and said, "Heavy breathing!" She was sure our tent was being attacked by a bear. I listened for a second and responded, "It's a dog." and then tried to go back to sleep. "Are you sure?", she said. I knew she wasn't going to let me sleep until I verified what I already knew. So I got out of the tent and met and pet the two labs who came into camp late with their owner. Their owner was busy setting up camp and didn't realize there were other people camping in the area.
    The next day during a break, we met up with him and his dogs again. He was a local. My wife told him how the dogs had scared her half to death the previous night, thinking a bear was outside the tent. He said he'd been hiking this area for twelve years and only once saw a bear. "They know you are here long before you are aware of them and they always move off."
    I saw a bear 40 yards up the trail the very next day.

10. sam eib

sam eib

Apr 16, 2017
    Polar bears don't poop in the woods.