1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Does Anyone Know What Degree Edge ZT's Come From The Factory?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Razor, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Razor

Razor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 1999
    I hear spyderco comes 30 degrees. I wonder if ZT's are 40 degrees.

2. wiredbeans

wiredbeans

Apr 5, 2015
    You are not far off ZT's are 20/21 degrees per side, Benchmades are 18-21. Spydercos FRN and Colorado procured are almost always at 15 dps, the collabs are some times 18-20 depending on design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mhumphrey

mhumphrey

Mar 28, 2010
    This is not correct. You need to check, as there is considerable variation. For example, one I just shapened (a ZT0801) was around 18 dps.

4. halden.doerge

halden.doerge Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2015
    My ZT0770CF came from the factory at 37 degrees inclusive:

[​IMG]

6. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I think they're all going to vary because they are done by hand. The target seems to be 40 degrees inclusive.

My 0095 is 20/24
    My 0200 is 16/18
    My 0562 is 18/16

7. Twindog

Apr 6, 2004
    Cool image. It looks to be about 19/17 degrees, with the grind being quite noticeably uneven.

8. Cyrano

Jun 13, 2015
    How do you measure these?

9. wiredbeans

wiredbeans

Apr 5, 2015
    +1

10. Twindog

Apr 6, 2004
    With a laser protractor.

11. wiredbeans

wiredbeans

Apr 5, 2015
    With angle cube

12. Cyrano

Jun 13, 2015
    Cool! How does it deal with convex edges?

13. Twindog

Apr 6, 2004
    I don't know for sure. The only convex edges I have are a Rockstead and a Fallkniven F1. I can't get a meaningful reading off the F1. The Rockstead reads 20/20, but convex edges don't really have angles. I presume this reading on the Rockstead is pretty close to the equivalent angle of a V edge that has similar acuity. But I don't know. The protractor works best on V edges, the more polished the better.

14. miso2

miso2 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 19, 2014

Wow. Can you share how you took the image with us?

Miso

15. Securis

Securis

Jan 9, 2013
    Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that all of ZT's grinds are uneven? And i'm not talking about the edge bevel. I'm referring the the cheek of the blade. Don't get me wrong though, i have a couple ZT's myself :D

16. chris_nm

chris_nm

Jan 31, 2017
    I am also quite curious to hear exactly what equipment was used to take that photo.

17. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    It happens. But I've gotten sebenzas with uneven edge grinds as well. They happen here and there, sadly.

18. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Any manufacture that gives you a specific number is only doing so to give you an answer. Unless they use CNC sharpening robots like the Spyderco Golden factory the angles will always be random because it is a hand operation.

19. Securis

Securis

Jan 9, 2013
    True, about 85% of the knives i sharpen have uneven grinds. I notice that 99% of Tops Knives i've sharpened are even on both sides. I think they CNC the cheek.

20. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    The bottom line is, there's always variation in knife production. No matter the means or the volume. Personally I've found CRK, ZT, Spyderco, and Viper to be better than most.