1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Don't drink and ebay

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by made2cut, Jun 19, 2012.

1. made2cut

made2cut Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2001
    So last Saturday I was having a few beers and watching some items on the bay. Having a good time and not keeping track of things I missed out of a couple of things and got pissed off. In my alcoholic daze I decided to put some bids on a few things (some had pretty high maximums :rolleyes:). Fast forward to Sunday morning and I wake up worrying that I might have bitten off more that I could chew :eek:. All day I'm watching these auctions end hoping that I get outbid on a few. Well I ended up getting 6 out of the 7 axes that I bid on and spent way more that I wanted to :eek:. Guess I have some incoming steel to work on in the coming week(s). Here is the haul list, I'll post some pics and add more details as they arrive and I get to work on them.

1) Collins Legitimus Jersey pattern (?), head looked good but the handle will need some work but I think it can be saved.
    2) Kelly Black Raven smaller double bit, really rough shape - this should be a fun one. I doubt the handle will be salvageable.
    3) Plumb 3 1/2 SB Michigan (?), looks pretty good, handle needs some clean up.
    4) Simmons Keen Kutter DB, I've bought from this guy before and his axes are nice.
    5) Norlund DB Trailblazer, looks to be in very good shape (paid a lot for this - I hope it's a beauty).
    6) Keen Kutter SB (probably about 3+ lbs) Michigan style again, head looks good but the handle is a mystery. It always worries me when they offer to ship with or without the haft. If the haft is at all decent I'll always try to save it - looks so much better with the original ones.

Stay tuned for updates and remember, don't get buzzed and bid on the bay unless you have deep pockets and lots of time!!!

2. beau007

beau007

Dec 10, 2009
    You are not the first to do this and you won't be the last. Enjoy the new steel.

3. made2cut

Dec 4, 2001
    Hmmm... I just noticed that was post number 777 for me. It must be a lucky one huh :)

4. nickzdon

nickzdon

Mar 3, 2011
    Been there too. Paid way too much in a bid out on a Walters double bit. But for every one auction I regret bidding too high on, there are 5 that I regret bidding too low. (There's a Collins Homesteader with original paper label out there someplace that would have been mine if I'd had a faster connection speed on my phone.)

5. jmh76

jmh76

Mar 27, 2012
    LOL! I was just thinkng the same thing the other day. Oh well. Guess there could be worse habbits. Happy Bidding......

6. jmh76

jmh76

Mar 27, 2012
    I'm bidding on a few now, and Im thinking "do I really want to pay that much".

7. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    HA! ive done that before myself... then you just pray that someone outbids you the next day :D

and then again, sometimes im like nick... theres been many times that i regretted not bidding enough...

8. jmh76

jmh76

Mar 27, 2012
    There is a nice Belknap Hatchet on flea bay right now I had to back off of.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  9. emopunker2004

emopunker2004

Jul 21, 2011
    might wanna delete that post. pretty sure thats a rules violation

10. made2cut

Dec 4, 2001
    Got #6 Keen Kutter yesterday. It turned out to be much smaller than I thought, about 2.5 lbs on a around a 16in haft. The grain is horrible, running straight across. Despite the grain I decided to keep it and fixed up the wedge job. It felt pretty solid and I gave it some whacks on a log to make sure before moving forward. I figured it made it this long without snapping I might as well give it few more decades of life :). The head is very clean which is why I bought it in the first place but the top edge has been over sharpened which I couldn't tell from the bad angle the pics were taken at. Anyhoo... I'll post up before and after pics tomorrow hopefully.

11. pullrich

pullrich

May 4, 2010
    You know you can back out of your bids. I was a vigorous seller a few years ago and it wasnt unusual for people to message me "whoops! I actually cannot pay for that" and I would just let it go, cancel the sale and re-post the item.

12. made2cut

Dec 4, 2001
    Hmmm... I guess that really isn't my style. It's kind of like posting an "I'll take it" in a sales thread and then backing out. Just bad form even if it is on the bay where the atmosphere is much less intimate you might say.

13. pullrich

pullrich

May 4, 2010
    I hear you but I think it depends upon how your effort to retract a bid would be received. If the seller is ok with it then no harm done. As I already noted, in my case (as a seller) I've been fine with buyers backing out now and then. Stuff happens. If someone wrote me that a bid was a beer-fueled bidding decision and asked if they could back out I'd generally be fine with it. In the case of large-scale bay operations they may be even more forgiving because they want good ratings and the customer is always right or similar retail mottoes are in play.

14. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    It's only money. They make more every day.

15. Seven1Niner

Seven1Niner

Apr 27, 2010
    Friends don't let friends get drunk and ebay. Where are yours friends?

16. Lee 74

Lee 74

Apr 1, 2011
    Better close that other page.....

17. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I canceled my ebay membership. It was just too tempting to watch and bid on items that I really didn't need. Especially if I was drinking Buffalo Trace Bourbon or Steel Reserve 40 ouncers. A real bad combination.

18. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    It can get you in some serious financial trouble no doubt. Though like I said, they make more money everyday - just so happens sometimes we like to spend what we dont have yet lol.

19. made2cut

Dec 4, 2001
    Pics of the Keen Kutter... Any comments on the metal wedge in there? That must have been an after job don't you think? It's kind of funny looking with a round part in the center.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After gettiing an edge with the files I tried it out on some walnut (hard stuff).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished up and razor sharp...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like it got too close to a camp fire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  20. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice work. Looks great