Downtown Disney + Manbug

I did not realize that they had moved the security checkpoints further out. Manbug on a keychain was flagged. I was not going to walk all the way back to the parking lot to put it away. Rounded the corner, performed a bit of hocus pocus and eventually brought it in with me. So consider this a PSA: Leave your blades at home/hotel or in your vehicle when you visit Downtown Disney and/or Disneyland.

I was just there. I too was surprised they moved the checkpoint to the entrance. I walked back to the car and put my knife away.

I had the exact same experience 3 weeks ago. Had my PM2 on me, but the first night we didn't actually go through security. I quietly asked a security guy if my knife would get flagged, and he politely told me the trouble I'd encounter and that it would be best to leave it behind. He said I could surrender it at security, but it would NOT be returned. I remembered the next day to leave it behind.

When these threads pop up, I have to wonder to myself: Why on earth are you trying to bring a knife into Disneyworld (in this example) or some other such vacation spot that CLEARLY outlines what is and isn't allowed in the parks? Why bother trying to take a knife on vacation in the first place?

When these threads pop up, I have to wonder to myself: Why on earth are you trying to bring a knife into Disneyworld (in this example) or some other such vacation spot that CLEARLY outlines what is and isn't allowed in the parks? Why bother trying to take a knife on vacation in the first place?

We are talking about Anaheim, CA and Disneyland, not DisneyWorld in Orlando. And we are not talking about Disneyland itself. We are talking about downtown Disney that is the restaurants and shops open to the public. This section did not used to have a security checkpoint. The security checkpoint used to be further in where the plaza with the entrances to Disneyland and California Adventure are.

Why on earth are you trying to bring a knife into Disneyworld (in this example) or some other such vacation spot that CLEARLY outlines what is and isn't allowed in the parks? Why bother trying to take a knife on vacation in the first place?

We live in a free country and should be able to exercise our rights. I'm going to ask the other question- why bother going to a place where people want to restrict your rights? Go elsewhere, spend your money elsewhere. Parts of this country still are free.

We live in a free country and should be able to exercise our rights. I'm going to ask the other question- why bother going to a place where people want to restrict your rights? Go elsewhere, spend your money elsewhere. Parts of this country still are free.

Well to be fair, this is a busy section on the Disneyland property for shopping and nightlife. Though it is open to the public, It is part of the Disneyland experience and filled with children. We totally understand that they did put a checkpoint there. It just took most of us by surprise that's all because we are not used to having a checkpoint there. I would assume this was spurred on by something that happen recently. Probably a fight broke out.

Last edited:
Happened to me in Washington DC at the National Zoo, had two small knives in my backpack, when I realized they were doing bag searches, I also did some hocus pocus to save the long walk back to the car, they did a manual search of the bag and of course found nothing out of the ordinary ;)

We went to universal studios. I had a para 2 and a custom frame lock on me. No issues at all but I did make sure and conceal them before I entered the park

My father and I both had to hand over our Victorinox ALOX Soldiers going in to the Old Post Office building in Washington DC about 5 years ago. We were just going to get some lunch in one of the food courts. The two young ladies working on the building entrance security team were very nice and held on to them for us and returned them to us when we left. I considered that a fair compromise.

,,,Mike in Canada

We are talking about Anaheim, CA and Disneyland, not DisneyWorld in Orlando. And we are not talking about Disneyland itself. We are talking about downtown Disney that is the restaurants and shops open to the public. This section did not used to have a security checkpoint. The security checkpoint used to be further in where the plaza with the entrances to Disneyland and California Adventure are.

I stand corrected. I mistakenly assumed it was the park he was referring to. I've been to Downtown Disney in Orlando a few years ago, and it's pretty much an open air type of place. There was no security that we had to pass through to get in.

mostly because I have carried a knife on me almost every day since Christmas when I was in the 4th grade and my dad gave me and my brother our first lock back Buck knives. His simple instructions were "never be without your knife, boys." It is automatic, and not having one has me checking my pockets more than if I left my wallet.
And you may never be more of a target then when you are on vacation. You don't know your surroundings, you have a ton of "tells" that you are not familiar with where you are, and on and on. Why on earth wouldn't you have a knife with you is my question.

Lol. The one time I went to a concert & there was more security than I expected, I went & stashed my unacceptables under a bush.

We were just at Disney World in Orlando. I didn't take a knife with me to the park, but I was surprised when we got to the gate and everybody with a bag had to get it manually searched and then had to go through a metal detector and those of us without a bag were told to go right in. I was never searched, questioned, probed, or prodded. That just made it all the more annoying when I kept grabbing for my knife throughout the day and it wasn't there.

As for why you'd want a knife at a theme park, everything we bought at the shops came with a little tag attached. The first thing the kids want to do when you leave the shop is play with what they just got. There are also multiple diners that sell treats that are too big for one kid to eat, but perfect for sharing. There were at least 10 times when I reached for my knife and was disappointed to find it not in it's normal place. It was a great lesson for me on how much I take having a knife on me for granted.

Last year at Disney World I took a "disposable" SOG Crosscut multitool, the little one with the sicissors. Apparently I am a throughly dangerously looking dude because I got special attention 5 out of 6 days. First day I had it in my pocket and they opened it and measured the blade and said I was good to go. There is a rule for blade length but the security guards have discretion in the end. The rest of the time I put it in a hidden pocket in my backpack that they never found to avoid the hassle. Used it discreetly multiple times a day there for the above mentioned reasons and more.

Sad to hear that everything is going further and further towards 'Police State'. We are seeing the same trend starting up here in Canada, though we are not as far along perhaps as our friends south of the '49th.

It's important to remember the cost of real freedom, as I see it, is the acceptance of some risk, not a total loss of civil liberty, personal responsibility, and privacy. You cannot guard against all outcomes, and we all survived up until this point without having witnessed the "Disneyland Swiss Army Knife Massacre".

Can you imagine if the founding fathers, of either the USA, or Canada for that matter, were told you couldn't have a folding knife on your person in 2017? They'd think the system they tried to build was a giant waste of time.

Glad my kids aren't into Disney, because their policies are lame.

Back