1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Edge guard sheath for an antique/vintage meat cleaver.

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by GrizzlyBear, Dec 3, 2012.

1. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Hi folks.

Just wanted to show off a little sheath/edge guard I made to compliment an antique cleaver that I refinished for a Christmas present. The cleaver is from the Meriden Cutlery company Established in 1834, who went out of business in the 1960s. I did some research and this cleaver is thought to be from the 1930s-40s era. It was in really great shape when I found it on eBay and others were selling for $50+....I snagged this one for $5.00 with $3.00 shipping, I'm thinking because the seller listed it as Meridan Cuttery instead of Meriden Cutlery. With some time and love, I brought it to the state you see it in now. Hopefully for another 70+ years of service.

Leather: 8/9oz veg tan.
    Stitching: Hand stitched with artificial sinew
    Dye: Fiebing's Pro black and Pro mahogany
    Finish: My own combo of Neat's foot oil/beeswax/paraffin
    Hardware: Brass Line 24 snap

I got a little off kelter with the basketweave on the front side because I got ahead of myself and set the snap before I did the stamping. So, when coming around the snap, I had a booger of a time lining things up right. It's not something most people will notice, but it stands out to me like a sore thumb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave the completed package to my friend the other day as an early Christmas present...mainly because if it stayed at my house any longer, I was going to claim it for myself. :)

2. Goose_52

Goose_52

Feb 8, 2009
    That is a neat sheath you made there. Very simple and elegant. I might have to make one similar for my cleaver.

3. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks! I merely wanted something to protect the edge and not detract from the cleaver like a full pouch would have.

4. Loosearrow

Loosearrow

Apr 14, 2008
    Turned out very nice.