1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Recommendation? Edge Pro Conversion Stones

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Aquaholicc, May 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM.

1. Aquaholicc

Aquaholicc

Oct 17, 2016
    Alright guys..I currently have the Edge Pro system with 120,220,400,600 and 1000 grit stones
    My question to you is ..where do I go next? I'm thinking "2 steps" above my current 1000 grit stone would suffice my needs/wants.

With that being said I've already done some research and it seems that Shapton is the way to go..so please only recommend shapton stones (unless you make a convincing argument about chosera)

Naturally I thought to myself "okay ..I'll just buy the 2000 and 4000 grit shapton stone" and be on my way. But once I referred to the conversion chart on the edge Pro website it told me ..my current 1000 grit edge Pro stone is equal to a 8000 shapton?!? This can't be right please clear this up for me ...

Ps..
    Yes I know about the scratch patterns not working well when you mix stones but I feel like at such a high grit it shouldn't matter.

Thanks in advanced BF community!

2. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    1. What are you trying to accomplish as an end result? The Edge Pro 1000 grit stone gives an extremely well refined edge.
    2. Have you looked at the new(ish) EP stones? They have a 2300, and 4000 grit polishing stone on their website.

3. miso2

miso2 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Also, what are the steels you are trying to sharpen?

Miso

4. Aquaholicc

Aquaholicc

Oct 17, 2016
    "Trying" lol. I sharpen anything from Vg-10 all the way to s110V and M390. I have no problems working with steel just need guidance as to what my next stone should be.
    I have no problems with achieving a mirror polish, I'll agree with you on that. But I feel like I want to take it maybe a step or two above the 1000 grit is why I ask lol. I've got a sickness called "it's never good enough" lol.

5. Diemaker

Diemaker

Apr 28, 2017
    Full disclosure- I make the EP polishing stones and a few other things for them so obviously I may be biased.

The polishing stones are designed to be the next two steps above their 1000 grit stone, something worth saying since you have EP stones up to 1000 grit. Whatever your knives are that you are wanting to sharpen they will work and they will last a long time. The prototypes wore in the center .001" for the 2300 and .0005" for the 4000 over the 7 month trial period where they were totally abused and dressed far more often than needed, I expect the production stones to be more wear resistant since the process used for production is much better than what I used when I made the prototypes. The first year is about up on the production stones they have been using so I will measure them then to see how much they wear during normal usage. I engraved where to measure, the date, and measurement on the back before giving them their shop polishing stones so I could track wear. When you send a knife to them for their trial sharpening they finish with the polishing stones instead of the tapes, at least this is what Cody said the last time we talked about it which has been awhile. They also do some local sharpening so the polishing stones they use get a lot of use, they only use one each of each grit. They prefer them over the tapes because they are so much easier to use. If you still want to go one step farther then the 6k tapes would be the next step, or stropping.

By the way, the tape holders are now machined on every surface which greatly improves accuracy and cosmetics.

I am not just trying to peddle my wares but add to the conversation since this is a topic I have some direct knowledge of. To be honest I don't have any knowledge of other stones for sharpening knives beyond what EP sells, something I will try to improve upon.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM
  6. Aquaholicc

Aquaholicc

Oct 17, 2016
    Hey man, that's awesome you decided to chime in on the thread, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad to know that I could just buy the 2300 stone or 2000 (whatever the grit is) and call it a day. Not trying to shame your product but I've heard nothing good about the "tapes" i.e. they just tear too easily and simply don't last.

So my last question to you is..can I be a "tester" on one of the prototype 2k stones hahah. If so..I'll more than gladly share my experience on it!

All in all thanks for the info Diemaker

7. Bladegunner

Bladegunner Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I have a profile sharpening system and went with the Shapton's made for the Edge pro I got the 1,2,4 and 8K stones and couldn't be happier got fantastic polished edges that really cut!!

Aquaholicc likes this.
  8. Diemaker

Diemaker

Apr 28, 2017
    Yeah, the tapes are not the most robust which is why I came up with the polishing stones, the tapes do cut much faster though. I only used a few to compare with all the stones I made to see which ones were best and how they compared with the tapes. Once you get the hang of the tapes they are not too bad and they sure are free cutting.

Just to be clear I only make a few parts for EP, other than that I have no affiliation with them or represent them in any way. I have a machine shop and do most, if not all, of their cnc milling.

Sorry, but I have zero say on "testers" so I can't help you there. I have noticed that EP has 2 reviews on the polishing stones that are both positive, and they have sold quite a few in the last year. They don't have the same feel as other stones or the tapes. They don't feel like they are doing anything but the microscope shows that they are doing what is wanted, and your knife with shave much better. Also if you get the polishing stones don't let it bother you when they turn dark from the steel looking like they are loaded up, it doesn't seem to slow them down any. They don't absorb water so just put a few drops on the stone before using it.

9. Aquaholicc

Aquaholicc

Oct 17, 2016
    Yeah my 1000 grit even the 600 is pretty dark from all the material, but like you said..it really doesn't slow it down at all.

Well it seems as I should purchase the 2k and see what results I get on my M390. Thanks again for all the wisdom you've shared man!