1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ESEE Fire kit new ferrorod.

Discussion in 'ESEE KNIVES' started by THE NORTH, Feb 16, 2011.

1. THE NORTH

THE NORTH

Feb 16, 2011
    Hi this is my first post been looking around for a while as a guest and ive become an addict :D

The question is does any one know what glue is used to attach the ferrorod on the fire kit to the body, im looking to replace the rod with a longer one, ive read and seen that it melts with heat and heard its an epoxy but all the epoxy i have doesn't melt. So exactly what glue is used?

2. Dizwolf

Dizwolf

Aug 25, 2009
    Not sure what is used, but it does let go with heat :). I've used JB weld to replace the rods and haven't had a problem yet

3. THE NORTH

THE NORTH

Feb 16, 2011
    cheers for the advice. does JB weld melt with heat?

4. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    Don't know at what temp JB Weld fails, but some JB Weld works on engine blocks, for a while. That stuff held part of my radiator together for months. You may not want to go so permanant.
    How are you applying the heat? Maybe just heat up the rod?

5. Joe Fowler

Joe Fowler

May 14, 2008
    There are a lot of threads about guys wanting to replace the ferro rods in their ESEE kits. I can understand the desire, but I've used the fire kit several times and it produces a lot of sparks. Never had issues showering my tinder (that has to be a euphemism). ;)

I'd say wait until you've used up the original ferro before you replace it.

Just a suggestion. :)

6. THE NORTH

THE NORTH

Feb 16, 2011
    yer i was thinking that if i use a realy strong adhesive i wouldnt be able to replace the ferrorod again. i removed the original rod with a mini gas torch by heating the rod slightly. The original glue sets solid again when cool making it perfect for the job but i dont know what glue it is. if esee used the old threaded design then i could use a die to thread a new ferrorod.

7. THE NORTH

THE NORTH

Feb 16, 2011
    yer ive been playing around with it for a while i find it abit short and ive previously used other ferrorods which seem softer and strike better. i supose a harder ferrorod will go further providing it gives a good strike but i prefer a softer one. i will use up original one but i like to be prepared.

8. Dizwolf

Dizwolf

Aug 25, 2009
    I'll dig around and see if i have some photos showing it, but,

ESEE still uses the same design as the old kits. There's a hole in the base of the handle. If you drill and tap the top of the rod, you can use a screw and tiny o-ring to hold it in place still.

9. texastonydobbs

texastonydobbs

May 25, 2007
    I use gorilla glue to install the new rod

10. obsessis

obsessis

Jul 2, 2009
    How easy is it to get out when the time comes?

I have a set ordered but haven't received it. I got some extra rod lengths for my bags as well.

11. Dizwolf

Dizwolf

Aug 25, 2009
    dude. how many fires are you guys starting here? I'm a freaking pyro, and I've never HAD to replace a rod.

12. Joe Fowler

Joe Fowler

May 14, 2008
    My point exactly. But everyone has a preference and if someone wants to put a foot-long Going Gear rod on their ESEE I can see the appeal. :)

13. skinz0021

skinz0021

Jul 18, 2007
    I heated the old one, looked like red locktite. Used jb quick on new stick. No probs so far.

14. skinz0021

skinz0021

Jul 18, 2007
    Need to make 2 rods from 5/16 have 2 handles.
    Theses are handles I owned. Looking for something new

15. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    Its really time that the firesteel makers make a 1" x 12" firesteel for us woods people.

I would buy like 50 of them

16. Joe Fowler

Joe Fowler

May 14, 2008
    Perfect for those ultralight backpackers! ;)

(I'd buy one too.)

17. Joe Fowler

Joe Fowler

May 14, 2008
    I'm sure you've seen this, but Going Gear carries a 1/2" by 12" rod. Your grandkids will be throwing "globs" with that thing. :rolleyes:

18. texastonydobbs

texastonydobbs

May 25, 2007
    I have a ESEE fire kit with a 6" misch rod and another with a 4" misch rod b/c I want too :D

19. THE NORTH

THE NORTH

Feb 16, 2011
    What did you do to fix them in?

20. texastonydobbs

texastonydobbs

May 25, 2007
    one I tapped and drilled using the supplied screw ,the other I used Gorilla glue