1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ESEE RAT Arrowheads, ideas...

Discussion in 'ESEE KNIVES' started by Don Rearic, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Don Rearic

Don Rearic

Oct 8, 1998
    It's not because the thread drifted, but it's seven pages long on "wow! cool!" And that IS cool because it drives the frenzy and the frenzy means we get more and more innovative ideas being put into production... "We" being the people that really appeciate RAT Cutlery Tools and Gear.

I wanted to put an idea thread in here. We know they are coming, don't ask how much they are going to be because the price has not been set. Yes, they will available from dealers. This will be sometime after the SHOT Show, so, pay attention and don't keep asking the same stuff over and over and over again. :D

These are my own measly/measely ideas or things I have picked up from other sources. One is...

Leroy Thompson who mentioned that you could use the Aitor "Harpoon" thing in a "spring and spear" type of trap. You can see the harpoon here on my website. It's an article about the Spanish Aitor Jungle King II and all the accessories...

You could use these arrowheads for that as well.

Improvised arrows in bows, crossbows, slingshots and Hawaiin Slings.

As a drill bit.

Getting industrious people like Shotty to make a layered piece of Kydex on the back of a sheath to slip one or two of these in.

Removing the grip from a RAT knife and then using a Dremel with one of the "milling" types of heads to cut out a traced area inside the grip to store one or more of these arrowheads in there...

Your's?

Got ideas?

2. R.A.T.

R.A.T. Randall's Adventure & Training

Feb 4, 2004
    Good thread, Don. Appreciate you starting a new one since the other one got screwed.

3. bagbyknoter

bagbyknoter

Oct 16, 2009
    the milling the inside of the grips for puttin one in there is really cool

4. HaroldB

HaroldB

Dec 9, 2007
    Some great ideas Don.
    Looking forward to hearing the other inventive uses the RAT Pack will come up with.

5. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Here's a real simple one: fishhook. The small one should be small enough to hide inside a fresh frog. :D

I'd still like to see a socketed spear/trowel tool.:cool: Could make another good collaboration with Imacasa--I remember that Condor had a little knife at their SHOT show booth last year that looked like a miniature CS Bushman (the resemblance being the reason it didn't go to market). Could make for a low-cost high-use tool, especially if kept at the rough surface finish of their standard models (but with the Condor edge).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. Don Rearic

Don Rearic

Oct 8, 1998
    You mean using it like a gorge hook? I think the hole is close enough to the middle that would work. It'd be a big fish though. :D

7. Don Rearic

Don Rearic

Oct 8, 1998
    Thanks!

Sometimes thread drift gives you beauty and sometimes a toilet. :D

8. Dizwolf

Dizwolf

Aug 25, 2009
    Herm, that's be interesting, useing it in a bow drill. Not sure of practial uses, but sounds fun

9. Don Rearic

Don Rearic

Oct 8, 1998
    You could just use it rotated between your palms like a hand drill for a fire.

I think cutting away the micarta on the inside of a grip after tracing the arrowhead would be pretty easy. Like filing something, you have to go slow. You can always take a little bit more but once you have taken away too much, you cannot put it back. Just like hand filing keys, etc.

They have those little Dremel bits that look like a cylinder or a ball and they cut into stuff like mad. You could C-clamp the scale down to a work area and go very slow. You could do that with other items as well.

Then you would have to get a suitable Allen Wrench for grip removal, heat it up and put a sharp bend in it so you could put a lanyard on it OR, do custom sheath stuff where it holds an Allen Wrench on the back, etc.

10. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    It could help with building more permanent structures in a long-term survival situation. Baton some boards, hold them together with pegs.

11. shotgunner11

shotgunner11

Dec 17, 2005
    I've had a ton of luck with a large fish hook lashed to a stick. I drop it into the water and let a fish get close to it and use it to hook the fish just enough to throw it onto shore.

I plan on trying to use the arrowhead in the same way.

I'll also sharpen one up really good and use it in my tin kits as a last ditch blade. Replace the exacto blade.

Also as an arrowhead.

12. Don Rearic

Don Rearic

Oct 8, 1998
    What you have discovered proves you're a thinking human unit. :D

In the U.S. Tracon (and other) Fishing Kits, they have the very, very large hooks and that is precisely what they are used for.

To get the most out of them and similar tools, I carry a few small hose clamps and I use the hose clamps to hold braided nylon fishing line on sewing bobbins, cuts down on wasted space, having the hose clamp around the bobbin, etc.

I think if you look at the RAT E&E Kit contents and then you consider a HEST or Izula and perhaps three of these little arrowheads...you begin to see a lot of potential. I mean, we're all carrying paracord and other stuff but the other type of military (MilSpec) accessory cord that is available from Best Glide and found in the RAT E&E Kit, along with these arrowheads...everything is beginning to compliment each other. :)

13. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    It's almost like they planned it or something! :D

14. Don Rearic

Don Rearic

Oct 8, 1998
    Jeff is an evil genius. :)

15. R.A.T.

Feb 4, 2004
    But Don helped me become that evil genius!

16. shotgunner11

shotgunner11

Dec 17, 2005
    Don is a surviv-a-nerd.

Just as bad as any gamer or D+D geek out there, just he collects kits instead of cards.

Man I wish I weren't the same way.:D

17. R.A.T.

Feb 4, 2004
    And just to follow-up on that statement, Don probably has more knowledge on E&E and special tools/techniques than anyone I know. Not trying to blow his head up, but once you look at some of the stuff he's researched and written, you'll see what I'm talking about.

BTW: Don, Jimmy and I have to do a refresher course for the LE side of the National Park Service in February and we want to focus on a potential fugitive techniques with good E&E skills. 2 day CEU course so no tracking will be involved but we are going to put them in the woods and show them a few potential booby traps they may face, etc. Not to hijack this thread, but put your thinking cap on because I'm looking for ideas.

18. shotgunner11

shotgunner11

Dec 17, 2005
  19. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike

Mar 21, 2006
    great thread Don.. :thumbup: i like all the idea's already...:)

i love the idea of having small arrowhead/knife as part of a last ditch kit.. i have a few different harpoons and PSK style small knives.. i am starting to see a lot of different tools/knives being made and put into production.. i think it's really cool and can they definately be used...
    i have had a few different frog gigs over the years and used to hunt a lot of frogs and crawdads, when i was young.. i still think they are a great addition to any kit.. bigger fish hooks are also really useful as well, my cousin used them catch frogs all the time..

one of my favorite arrowheads from my collection.. is a Ben Pearson "Deadhead"... these are still farely easy to find, but haven't been made in a # of years... the style and design of them is perfect for other applications.. they cane easily be used as a knife, spearhead or arrowhead..

[​IMG]

20. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    I want 4 of them and cotter pin them and my a throwing star aahahahaahaha just kidding. These look awesome.