1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ESEE warranty - question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by markymark6290, Mar 20, 2017.

1. markymark6290

markymark6290

Mar 2, 2017
    Hey guys, please see below. I know ESEE's warranty is fairly broad and all-inclusive, but I had question regarding the pictures below. While doing a simple pry, a small piece of the clip point snapped off. It's not a big deal as far as looks go, but I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to file an ESEE warranty repair. Just worried about the blade's integrity.

Model is an ESEE 3 MIL with a partially serrated, clip point blade.

Thanks!
    -Mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Why? Just sharpen that MoFo out and keep abusing the knife. It would take more effort and time to do a warrantee claim than it would be worth, even if they do cover it.

3. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Small piece of the clip point?
    The tipity tip is gone. Sharpen it.

4. markymark6290

markymark6290

Mar 2, 2017
    That was my second thought. Thanks guys!

5. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    For the record, when people say something about a "broken tip", they generally mean something more like the knives in the photo below.

Not my photo, but one I ripped from image search after typing in "broken ESEE". The original posting was from BF. It looks like this photo was a set of knives that ESEE brought to an event to show off some warranty repair work that had come in, or something like that. And no, I'm not saying anything bad about ESEE quality here, just showing examples of what people expect to see when they read "broken tip".
    [​IMG]

So yeah, I think yours will sharpen out just fine :).

6. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    Really? Sharpen it out. Jeez.

7. markymark6290

markymark6290

Mar 2, 2017
    We were all new at some point. Calm yourself.

8. wesmanthetiger

wesmanthetiger

Apr 28, 2015
    With warranty questions such as this, I find that contacting the company and asking them (as they tend to know better than typically anyone else) is the first step. If that is not to your liking, then sharpen that sucker. 😉

9. XtianAus

XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    Just ignore the rude people and comments, they exist all over the forum. Its a real shame at times.
    We were and are all new here, so all questions are good question.

In terms of your original post, I too would sharpen it out. But if you're not good at sharpening then you could always try getting a brand new one.

Keep in mind that clip point leaves a fairly thin point, I personally wouldn't prying with it. The regular esees would be better suited for that.

10. stonesell

stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2009
    It would be super easy to restore with an Edge Pro, but small ceramic stones can easily fix that. Just use some magnification, and go slowly.

11. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2012
    The rare case when "just the tip" means just that.

12. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I wouldn't attempt to sharpen it out right now. Its shouldnt affect performance in any way. Wait until the egde needs a good sharpening to address the issue. Trying to sharpen it out now may give you a flat spot or ruin the apex in that area.

13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011
    curious what task/tasks you were doing that snapped off the tip? how much torque on the pry, what were you prying and why were you using a slicing cutting tool for prying also?

not to pick on ya just for information sake and the thread in general and for future google searches. thanks.

14. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005

A. Welcome to the forum!

B. We are an ESEE dealer and our shop is 45 minutes from you in Salisbury, NC. We are open Tuesday through Friday from noon until 6:00. Come see us and we will be happy to fix that right up for you for free! Should be able to do it in no time while you wait. If you can't make it during the week just let me know and I can meet you on a weekend. Just shoot me an email to [email protected]

15. Armadew

Armadew Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Whitty is the man!

16. markymark6290

markymark6290

Mar 2, 2017
    I was actually prying a tiny compass out of a d-shackle I procured on Etsy because the shackle itself was made from really cheap metal (zamak or something) and the 3-MIL was the only blade within reach at that point in time. Barely using any torque.

Thanks, dude! I just checked out the website, pretty impressive. I may take you up on that!

17. arskrg

arskrg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Just imagine how much he'd be berated if he were to actually contact ESEE with that same question.
    I doubt Mike or Jeff would respond with a simple, "That's not a big deal, you can sharpen it right out. Have a good day!"

18. markymark6290

markymark6290

Mar 2, 2017
    Which is why I asked the opinion of such esteemed gentlemen as yourselves.

19. arskrg

arskrg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Good call

20. XtianAus

XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    If I were Mike or Jeff, i'd appreciate an innocent question regarding warranty of a minute broken tip over customers who purposely break their blades and send them over for a knew one.

If anyone were berated over a concern like this by the makers themselves, shame on them. No matter how big an issue, a questioner should never feel inferior or embarrased by the maker.
    Customer service > conceitedness

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017