1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Estwing carpenter hatchet mod (updated 5/24)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by slapper, May 18, 2011.

1. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    Lately I've been wanting a full tang hawk, but their cost(and my wife) have kept me from purchasing one. I ran across a mod during a google search and decided to try it. this is just a little progress, as I got really tired last night and went to bed. I may or may not attempt a spike in the future. I will at least put a chamfer on the beard(I have yet to even deburr). There will be more to come, but not this week. I'd love to hear what you guys think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    I like it so far. Do you plan on replacing the blue grips?

3. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    So far it looks good. Can't wait to see the final results.

4. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    No, I actually like them. I would have ordered the leather handled one for looks, but I just liked the feel if these. I am kind of envisioning a cross between a camp hatchet and a hawk, all while being discreet and friendly looking. I may do another one or two, w/ different grips, but I want this one to look tame. Thank you for your response.
    Also, grip suggestions for future projects would be appreciated.

5. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    Nice job. What did you use to cut it with ? Or did you grind it ? Great idea. How would you attempt the spike, if you did ?

6. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    At first I used a large file, but after about 15 min i realized that take a few days.
    next I tried a hacksaw, It worked but not very well.

Finally what worked the best was a dremel with a cutoff wheel. I kept pouring water to keep it cool, although it dissipated the heat well naturally.
    I used a half round file to smooth the roughness from the cutoff wheel, and then a sanding drum(on the Dremel) to get it pretty smooth.

I believe that a spike would require a grinder, so I might look into getting one. I want a belt grinder anyway.

Thanks for the interest.

7. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    nice clean look -- good job so far.
    for belt grinder, the 1x30 at harbor freight isn't bad for a cheap one, the 2x42 at sears removes stock a bit faster and is a better quality machine overall, but it costs twice as much and the belts cost more.

8. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    Thank you,
    Do you know if the sears grinder will run w/o the guard?

9. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    sorry, but I don't.
    mine is still in the box while I build my workshop - and it keeps raining on the weekends, so I'm significantly behind on that., or I'd be able to tell you. I'd be surprised if there weren't a way to pull off the plastic hood, and there are several youtube videos out there on how to modify it.

10. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    Don't discount a 4.5" angle grinder. You can get all kinds of different wheels & also a flapper disc, which is like a sanding belt. I got a RIDGED from Home Depot. About $70 + all you wheels. Comes with a bag, & you can remove the guard if you want, & a screw in side handle.

11. Vampire Hunter D

Vampire Hunter D

Nov 26, 1999
    I'm working on one of these too. The user st33ve0 is a friend of Ryan at RMJ Tactical and he posted the tactical Estwing in a couple of places.

As I understand they were made in a limited number by Ryan for guys needing a less than $100 tactical axe. Or something like that.

- D

12. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Lookin good.....nice job !

13. unloved

unloved

Oct 21, 2008
    I did mine on a Ryobi 4"X36" belt sander.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    Yeah I saw it on a zombie site, I was able to find it by googling. estwing rmj

15. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    thank you

16. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    Nice!:thumbup: I went with the bigger bladed version b/c I found out using a trail hawk that my aim isn't great.:)

17. shockjockey24

shockjockey24

Jan 2, 2011
    welcome to the maddness of hatchet modding...ive done about 5 of the carpenter hatchets into tomahawks for people (they make great gifts) its very addicting, i always keep an eye out at the flea market for carpenter hatchets now. :D

18. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    That is a good Idea too. I can clean the edge up pretty fast with a file, but adding a chamfer will require a bit more.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  19. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    I can see what you mean, I haven't finished one and I'm planning 3 more.:)

20. slapper

slapper

Sep 2, 2010
    I've cleaned up the underside and sharpened it a bit. I found a couple of coupons in an NRA magazine for harbor freight, so I got a 1*30 belt sander and a 4.5 inch grinder. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]