1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Experimental Project

Discussion in 'Daniel Fairly Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator

Jan 9, 2011
    Ti and G10

[​IMG]

2. JUST1MOR

JUST1MOR

Oct 19, 2010
    Hmmnnnn . . . . . .
    Reminds me of my 16th birthday when mom & dad gave me a car key in a small box . . . . and told me to hold onto it for a few weeks . . . . :eek: :eek:
    Be safe.

3. sloth357

sloth357 Platinum m0f0 Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    sweet, so warren style kinda stuff? I'll take it :D

4. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    :D lol!

I understand, I can't wait! I have been wanting to try a Ti/G10 knife for a while now.

5. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I can only hope to be like WT, his knives rock.

His work is my inspiration for this knife.

6. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    The profile looks cool & digging' the jade,will you be able to carbidize it?

7. 0037ksm

0037ksm

Feb 23, 2007
    I was wondering when you were going to get around to this. Look out, WT! Very cool. I've been trying to get WT to do a Ti/CF credit card knife but with no success. Maybe, your next edition CC knife...??

8. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks! That is my Mini Legal EDC model, I scribed out the original design from the same template as the last one but added a 'poon tip!

Tungsten Carbide edge, check! :D

9. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks!

A laminated CC Knife would be incredible, I will certainly consider that! (lol I'll be making plans later today knowing me)

10. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    oh snap...

11. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Waiting to see what comes out of this...

12. mr_badexample

mr_badexample

Mar 1, 2012
    This is gonna be good.

13. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Dr. Fairly in action.

14. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    :D :D :D

Thanks guys!

Here's the description of the epoxy I used on this. (G-Flex) I use this on all of my knives with scales.

A toughened, versatile, liquid epoxy for permanent waterproof bonding of fiberglass, ceramics, metals, plastics, damp and difficult-to-bond woods. With a modulus of elasticity of 150,000 PSI, it is a bit more flexible than standard epoxies and polyester, but much stiffer than adhesive sealants. This gives G/flex the ability to make structural bonds that can absorb the stress of expansion, contraction, shock and vibration. It is ideal for bonding dissimilar materials. It can be modified with West System fillers and additives, and used to wet-out fiberglass tapes and fabrics. Mixed at a 1:1 ratio, G/flex gives you 45 minutes of working time at room temperature. It reaches an initial cure in 7 to 10 hrs and full cure in 24 hrs.

15. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Looks like it is going to be sweet!

16. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks BigCountry!

This makes my day, no visible glue seam anywhere! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  17. combs6136

combs6136

Sep 21, 2002
    Dan, Could you use some more of the speclked rubber ?.........carl..........Ps....I may be out your way in 5 weeks................................................

18. Shannon Carter

Shannon Carter

Mar 26, 2012
    Wicked/clever idea! That's really cool looking!

19. 0037ksm

0037ksm

Feb 23, 2007
    Wow, that turned out really nice! What are you going to do with the Ti side? Natural? Anodize?

20. ecos

ecos

Jul 2, 2006
    Looks good!

I've made a few of these over the years but I've yet to try the G-Flex. One thing I've noticed is that when the adhesive bond fails it is almost always at the tip where it fails first. So if you want to do a test to see how well it holds press the tip against some wood with the G10 facing the wood...as if you are trying to peel the Ti. off. Some glues pop instantly, some hold pretty well.