1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fancy(for me) Drop Point Hunter

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by P. McKinley, Sep 13, 2012.

1. P. McKinley

P. McKinley KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2008
    This one represents a couple of a first for me. I finally decided to try a bolstered design and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It wasn't a cake walk though. I went through two sets of bolsters and a set of premo Thuya burl scales before I got it right.

Also, this is the first full tang I've done with a file work under the scales.

Anyhooooo.....

Please offer your comments and critiques.
    Thanks for looking.

Peter

Here's the specs:

Blade: 5 1/4" x 3/16" of 52100 steel, stock removal, with full flat grind and a 1200 grit hand rubbed finish.
    Handle: Cocobolo with hand files bevels, six stainless steel pins and a hidden lanyard loop. Hardened O1 steel bolsters with mild steel pins, and hand-filed bevels w/ 1200 grit finish.
    Sheath: Wickett & Craig 6-7 oz veg tanned leather with polished natural edges, faceted Cocobolo medallion and lanyard bead, and a buffed mink oil finish.

Some photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oops, the camera found some crud around the bolster. That'll be taken care of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of in-progress shots showing the original Thuya slabs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Nice clean looking package.......

3. P. McKinley

P. McKinley KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2008
    Thank you Ray.

-Peter

4. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    impressive craftsmanship... and a unique look. Well done!

5. P. McKinley

Jan 27, 2008
  6. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I read the Danged rust thread. Hopefully you got it figured out. The knife looks great.

7. Cutlass66

Cutlass66

Aug 19, 2011
    knife with a lot of style!
    I really like details, leynard hole, details on the case and a laynard and finishing!
    very nice, my congratulations!
    Denis

8. 1dlamb

1dlamb

Feb 14, 2010
    Really nice work, great job!:thumbup:

9. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Very nice work Peter.

10. Robert Carter

Robert Carter

Sep 26, 2011
    Nice work. I like the clean uniform angles on the bolsters. Looks like a pita but it compliments the knife. Excellent work