Favorite combat knife by custom maker? Got my Dawson Scorpion in finally!

2011-10-11161955.jpg

Met John Roy of Dawson Knives at the gun show a few weeks ago, and the Dawson knives he was selling were by far the best fit and finish of any blade I saw there, outside of maybe the CRK and Spartan Blades ones at another shop. Saw this one and couldn't resist, especially because he gave me a great deal on it.

2011-10-11161643.jpg

Comes with a nice kydex sheath as well.

Balance is great, right under the guard, and despite its heft, which is fairly considerable thanks to the very thick blade, it moves really well. Good power on slashes and penetrates easily to the guard on a thrust.

What is your most prized fighter? Let's try to avoid posting up Cold Steel Kobun and knives of that ilk, and stick to knives that are really special to you.

Come on, you can't throw that out there and not give us the specs, like size and steel.

By saying "avoid posting up CS Kobun..." do you mean knives that are marketed as combat knives? Also, are you asking which knife we would like to have in a fight? I know I am being overly critical about such a simple question, but I like to put what I think would best fit a criteria.

I'm looking mainly for things that are really top notch quality. Custom makers or top-end production knives. Not $25 specials from Taiwan and the like. I like my Cold Steel knives for the value, and I love my Ka-Bar, but neither is in the same realm.

This one is L6 steel, I believe. 6" blade, 5.5" handle, 1/4" spine.

I know it is against what you said, but my fighter of choice is my Peter Janda Fin fixed. D2 steel, a pointy tip, and a curved handle gives it all the aspects of a good combat knife. It also has a lot of heft to put good power behind it.

Also, your knife is great. I love L6. It rusts super easily, but takes a great edge.

I think my favorite fighting knife would the be the one in hand. Id prefer that it would be my Kukri but if not oh well, hopefully Ill manage.

Dont know what specific kind of Kuk it is, but it works whether its chopping or doing finer detail work
Steel: 5160 work hardened Mercedes-Benz spring
Blade: 12"
OAL: 16 1/4"
Spine: 5/16"

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

thanks and no idea, As I understand it the Kami don't usually put maker's marks. The only details ive been able to find about mine are that it's from WWII and made from an old MB leaf spring. My cousin bought it when he went backpacking in Nepal and gave it to me for my 12th birthday. one of the best gifts ever in my book

I don't have a fighter but I have a Dawson Tsuba, it's not bad, I'm carrying it today.

Combat knife by a custom maker? You mean something like this custom bad boy from Justin Gingrich?

Blade.jpg

If I could get a custom, I would definitely go for one of John Fitzen's Bowies.

[video=youtube;5k4OVLwOp3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k4OVLwOp3o[/video]

images

Sorry, had to be that guy! :D

Here are the ones I love right now:
img4579a.jpg

marcineck, I cant get over how pretty that mirror polish is!

Edit: I forgot we were talking about customs! Well, not something I would choose to fight with, but here is my Demko reblade:

img4387l.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I had a sharper DOF when I took the photo, but whatever. Tis' an older variant of the Entrek Merc. Came in a beadblast, which I wasn't fond of, so I gave it a satin finish by hand. Wish I didn't soften the flats/grind lines, if I started with a flat sanding surface.
ap11080a.jpg

That’s my Winkler belt knife strapped to my plate carrier. Its my favorite combat knife.

winkler-1.jpg

Reese Weiland one off fixed bade version of his Nighthawk folder in .160" Ti. I sent it to Jon Mitchell to get the edge carbidized. I'm making a custom MOLLE compatible sheath right now.

100_1148.jpg

100_1147.jpg

Back