1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Favorite Hollow Handle CRKs and Why

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by bvo85, May 4, 2017.

1. bvo85

bvo85 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I don't see much talk about hollow handle CRKs lately. It's a shame because they are all so beautiful and on occasion, you can find them for $500 or so, which seems to me to be a steal given raw materials, craftsmanship, and rarity!

My favorite are:

Project 2 - reminds me a K-Bar knife shape, but in higher build quality

Al Mar Collab - I've always liked looking at Al Mar knives in various knife and tactical mags growing up. Never owned one, and I'm so spoiled by CRK folders that I don't think I'd be happy with one of the production Al Mar SERE knives. But the Collab CRK OPK would tickle my nostalgia button!

Aviator with sawback - probably the coolest and most practical. While I love the Project 2s, they are pretty big and from a practical standpoint, it seems like if you're carrying something that large out into the bush, you'd be able to carry a separate survival kit. Whereas the aviator is like a compact, one-and-done type kit. Also looks really cool!

Skinner - big, fatter brother to the aviator.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Great knives, I owned a few over the years. Maybe they will resurrect them at some point in the future.

3. peterbright

peterbright Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I have a Project I and a Mountaineer I...and I'm always on the lookout for a good deal.

4. kgajewsky

kgajewsky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Mountaineer 1 - its the only one I have....

5. James Longstreet

James Longstreet Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  6. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Mountaineer II, just about the right size for these parts, and no top guard makes it easier to use in the woods.

7. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
    For me I have always favored two... the Skinner aka Ubejane and the 9" Sable.

Have the skinner and need the Sable.

And ps. they won't be reissued by CRK again. The way I remember hearing the story is that they had a third party machinist in I believe SA that milled the blanks out and they were finished by CRK. He retired or the like from making them and the line ended there.

8. bvo85

Apr 27, 2017
    Wow! That's too bad. I think these should be selling for way more on the secondary market than they currently are. Seems a steal when you can find them for $500 or so. Even if we did get a modern version made in 2017, I think retail price would be $500+ given raw materials and tooling costs, and given that the older ones have collectability factor, they should be selling for $1000+! Maybe it's because many CRK collectors like to EDC their knives and it's not practical for many Americans/Canadians/Europeans to EDC a fixed blade?

9. ganagati

ganagati Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2011
    I've been closely eyeing a one-piece CRK, and it looks like the Mountaineer II would be the ideal workhorse for a camping / survival knife. Is it the only one you've owned, or did you settle on yours after trying a few others?

10. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Handled several over the years, but the Mountaineer II was the one I always wanted.

11. ganagati

ganagati Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks. I think I'm with you....great blade shape, long while not too long, single guard, strong solid Chris reeve design....

12. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Just picked up a Mountaineer 1. I owned one several years ago and foolishly sold it thinking that I needed a larger knife. :rolleyes:

I was lucky enough to find one NIB, which are getting harder to come by. Pretty excited to have one coming back. :thumbsup:

bvo85 likes this.
  13. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I have a Shadow and Sable IV, and they are terrific knives! I prefer the Sable because of the blade shape, but don't see letting either of them go.

14. justsomedude

justsomedude

May 23, 2011
    Can't have a CRK OPK thread without this bad boy:
    [​IMG]

For me the OPK knives are cool not because of the hollow handles but because they are milled from a single piece of steel.

15. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    4" Mountaineer. Love the blade profile, and the 4" knives carry so nicely - and are all the blade I need for 98% of tasks.

16. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    The OPK is what brought me to CRK many years ago. I have had a couple dozen of them. I still have several and will have to do a group one of these days. Best knife of its design.

17. nickpp

nickpp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  18. bvo85

Apr 27, 2017
    Which version number of the mountaineer is 4"?

19. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002

Did you buy this one? Looked a bit on the spendy side!
    Freyja custom for those who may not know.

20. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Mountaineer 1

Stock photo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017