Favorite hunting knife?

My Favorite, a Russell Easler drop point I bought last year. Stag/ATS-34 hollow ground, 7-3/4" OAL.
RussEaslerknife2.jpg

My favorite deer hunting knife is actually two knives, a Westmark 702 and a Browning Bird and Trout.

The Westmark is used for gutting, splitting the pelvis, and skinning. The Browning is used for just about everything else involved in processing a deer for the freezer. Both knives are very well balanced and have a blade design and heft appropriate for their intended purpose.

In my opinion, safety is one of the most critical concerns in selecting a knife for gutting. When I'm up to my elbows in slimy gore, working by flashlight, in the cold, with a little extra adrenaline pumping, I want something to keep my grip hand away from the business end of the knife. The large bolster (finger guard) and the grip shape are perfect for my hand, even when everything is saturated with blood and goo. I also like the flat heel which I pound on with my hand to drive the tip through the pelvic bone while splitting it. Sounds glamorous doesn't it?

See below for an example of what can happen when fingers and sharp blade meet while field dressing a deer. I think it took seven stitches to repair my son's finger.

The Browning is used for everything after skinning, e.g., quartering, pulling backstrips and tenderloins, separating muscle groups, and final trimming, silverskin and fat removal (I do use a fillet knife to remove the thick layer of silverskin on the backstrips - just like filleting a bass). The blade is basically a cross between a fillet knife and a boning knife. The handle is well balanced and very comfortable, even after several hours of continuous use. It is also a perfect blade for small game and ducks.

2013-01-22_14-19-19_693.jpg

IMG00010-20101107-1441.jpg

Last edited:
As of late I decided to make a Skinner similar to the schrade sharpfinger but with better ergonomics for me. I hafta say I have just fell in love with this little knife and find it constantly with me when in the woods and hunting.

1080/15N20
Sharpfinger.jpg

When talking about samll game I prefer something very thin. I have used a flat gound Spyderco Endura, AG Russell deer hunter, and more recently Scrapyard Elmax knives. As a rule I prefer drop oints on everything.

When it comes to deer sized knives I definately prefer drop point, however all I do is gutting and skinning. I have butchered before but no very often and there is no need for me to quarter unless I am going to butcher. I also am a little different as a lot of members of my family have used a folder and then instead of trying to clean it in the field we just fold it up, put it in a ziplock bag, and cleran it at home. I probably have cleaned more deer with an ATS-34 folding drop point Gerber Gator than any other knife. I like the grippy Kraton handles and I have never found cleaning it at home to be a problem. The farther I get from a paved road (hard to do in my part of Ohio) the more likely I am to carry a fixed blade as more a double duty emergency knife as well. Historically I used a Carbon V Cold Steel Master Hunter and an AUS8 Master Hunter and was very pleased. I have not used the new steel at all but I like the handle and feel of the Master Hunter 100 times more than the Fallkniven or Benchmade Kraton handled knives. They feel too small to me, or perhaps it is my muscle memory.

Lately I have been bitten by the Busse bug as they have gotten around to making some knives that I really like as hunting knives. I have used and Anorexic Basic 4 on quite a few deer this year and it held up great and only needed a minor stropping at the end of the day. I intend to try out a SCABS or CABS next year.

The F1 and Queen 4190 are my two favorites. But, I intend to give the Essee 4 and the Wilson custom a work out soon on hogs and aoudad sheep. I got a trip planned in April to West Texas.

2013-03-28162427_zps260e0c79.jpg

My Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner remains my go-to sheath knife, but Bob's K-2 is a close second.

2-7.jpg

My Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner remains my go-to sheath knife, but Bob's K-2 is a close second.

2-7.jpg

I really like Dozier's designs. How wide(edge to spine) is that knife? I have been going back and forth between this one and the slim outdoorsman.

The YPS blade is just a hair over an inch wide.

I like the bigger blade of the YPS and found the Slim Outdoorsman to be a bit small as a dedicated skinner. But that's in my hand.

You can't go wrong with anything that comes out of the Dozier shop though, either way you will get a great knife.

Z

Replyin' to an old post, but that center one with the shell casing-esque pins is gorgeous!!! Absolutely stunning!:thumbup:

Absolutely. He has done a few of those knives, with different scale material. Take a look at Ryan's website, and you will be able to see all of the pictures

Ryan did a passaround with that knife. It was an absolute dream to handle.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/990920-RyanW-SPK-Passaround-WIP

Indeed it was.

Back