1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Favorite Large Blade/Chopper

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by inkynate, Jun 10, 2017.

1. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    About the time Op2Wks first kicked off, I thought I'd like to get a large blade "or two" to compliment my machetes and axes. I ended up with all of these :thumbsup::

[​IMG]

It started off with the 1311 and 1111 from the Exchange and sort of snowballed from there... I kept finding totally rational and valid reasons to purchase and "evaluate" additional blades. Kept telling myself that, for sure, after handling and using them a bit, it would become apparent what worked best for me, what didn't, and I'd get back to two or three "keepers."

That hasn't happened. They're all awesome in different ways and so far I want to keep them all! I guess it's fortunate that it's not a problem to do just that and I suppose that over time a few clear favorites may emerge and compel me to send the others to new homes... BUT, Jerry's annoucement that things are about to get wild again has me a little worried lol. I definitely don't need anything else, I could probably cover my great-grandkids' chopping/camp knife needs with this hoard. I know we're about to be tested again though and it'll be serious trouble if any flavor of FBM comes up, not mention whatever new creations Jerry has up his sleeve... :D

So, to wrap up my rant and ask some questions: What are some of your favorite large blades? How do you avoid hoarding them, or do you just not worry about it? Is there a support group I can get some info on?

lex2006 likes this.
  2. rcb2000

rcb2000 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    hahaha, thats the only way to figure out what you like!
    I think the 1311 is pretty killer, but if I could only have one, it would be my ASHBM. It hits all the notes for me..
    The MOAB or NMFBM would probably be the most effective hit for hit,, but fatigue is more of an issue due to the weight for me.

jsnell likes this.
  3. Switchblade_renegade

Switchblade_renegade Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Ill have to answer this after my hognose is in hand!

4. honorearth

honorearth KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 29, 2016
    i say as,long as you can half way afford them keep all of them and get more. so far for me the WTF and hognose war sword are the best choppers.

5. AZTimT

AZTimT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    BB13CG is the chopper I find most effective for me. Hits as hard as a much heavier blade without the fatigue/weight.
    1311 is right behind it & B11 after that.
    FBMLE always gets the job done too though.
    MOABolo, TTKZ, NMFBM, NMFSH & Battle Saw are fun too.

6. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2003
    I guess my Bruiser Little Smoky does it for me!:D:thumbsup:

7. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    1311 and Battle Saw

8. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Lol, so far I'm hearing "buy more" and that all the best blades are ones I passed on or otherwise haven't tried yet... I knew I could count on you guys! :thumbsup:

My best pure chopper is the CGBB13, especially after the work I put into it, but it's not my favorite for batoning. Another might excel at delimbing or clearing brush, another is the best all-arounder or lighter and more packable, another is legendary for carving up the Hog at the annual pig roast, and so on...

Makes it hard to narrow them down or say that one is objectively "best" or the favorite. Best for what? Plus when the zombies come, I'm going to want to have a few to distribute.

9. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Nate, you have the right idea; "best for what?". They all have their plusses and minuses for different tasks, so keep buying knives until you think you found the "ultimate" blade!:D:thumbsup: And I understand about the zombie thing.....I have enough knives to arm our entire little town!:p

inkynate likes this.
  10. AZTimT

AZTimT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    Fat flat grinds or convex seem to work well for splitting wood, I've found.

stjones likes this.
  11. zmbhntr

zmbhntr ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ Platinum Member

Jul 28, 2014
    For a dedicated chopper the MOAB and Sasquatch lead by a good margin in my hands. A BG WTF is an amazing chopper in stock form, but the BG13 CG didn't work for me until I had it heavily modified to make it full flat to reduce weight and change the center of balance. My NMFBM is still one of my favorites as an all around chopper / heavy duty camp knife, but it can't quite compete with the big boys as a dedicated chopper. 1311 is great for a lot of chopping without a lot of fatigue.

[​IMG]

inkynate, rcb2000 and MADDMAN like this.
  12. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Mountainmandu!

13. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    This is where I'm stuck ^^^^I like 'em all so I don't see them leaving anytime soon besides I keep them together so they have their own support group(some might get jealous when they see the BB13 getting used most often)...:cool::thumbsup:

inkynate likes this.
  14. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    If I could have only one large blade, I'd probably want a Battle Saw. ASHBM very very very close second.

jsnell likes this.
  15. bullpin

bullpin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2010
    M O A B.

16. Sigarett

Sigarett Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 16, 2013
    What Timmy said....The ASHBM, Battlesaw and the 1311 for me are my three big blade users.

I've about had them all and for me, those are all big knives that still handle, cut and feel like a knife so the rest made their way to a new home.

17. mainaman

mainaman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I have not tried a MOAB and my B13 is being reground right now, but of the other Busse big sized knives the NMFBM is the best chopper for me. It is heavy but it does a lot of work. The way it is ground is the key.

18. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I'd like to see a full flat ground nmfbm at about .25 thick

inkynate likes this.
  19. MADDMAN

MADDMAN Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Heck of a spread there!

20. boring

boring Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2005
    ttkz, nmfbm. havnt knocked the new off a few others yet. When I finally decided to give busse a try, I purchased a fbm. figured, big enough to be big and why would I spend the money on little ones. They don't get near the stress. Didn't work. I guess I am a hoarder. I have managed to move some on, only because I wanted other ones more.

inkynate likes this.