1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ferric chloride yields red color?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Paul Sherman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Paul Sherman

Paul Sherman

Jul 12, 2016
    Has anyone else seen this reddish result from a quick dip in ferric chloride? The steels are 1084 and 15n20, but I saw the same result from leaf spring a few weeks ago, dusty rose red instead of the grey colors.

Any ideas what is going on here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://imgur.com/R3LtyPF

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. NJBillK

NJBillK Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Photobucket doesn't work anymore. Well, it does if you pay $300+ per year... Much cheaper to pay for a membership here and use the stock photo.
    2017-07-09 13.21.52.png
    Otherwise, try using a different photo hosting site like imgur.

Best of luck.

Paul Sherman likes this.
  3. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Your ferric is contaminated with copper

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    Yup, copper if it looks similar to this:

Screenshot_20170717-163417.png

I tried to use contaminated Ferric to etch the logo on this Busse

~Chip

5. JTknives

JTknives ABS Apprentice Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Yep copper contamination. Cool things can be done with copper contaminated ferric like the logo above but etching Damascus will leave the copper flashing on the steel.

6. Paul Sherman

Paul Sherman

Jul 12, 2016
    Very good. Time for some new ferric!

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Or just rub the copper flashinhg off with steel wool.

autogateman likes this.