1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fiddleback Friday 9/21/12

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Alrighty guys, you know what day it is. Time for another installment of Fiddleback Friday. I have a big full batch this week for y’all. After the posting I’m headed out with Hannah to my first daddy daughter Girl Scout camping weekend.

On a side note, I sent my application in to the Knifemakers Guild. Hopefully they accept the application, and I can show them something that doesn’t get laughed out of the room at next year’s show. It’s a goal at least.

Shipping outside the US costs extra. I don’t have any sheaths in stock right now for these knives. Rick Lowe and Heber Ellsworth have patterns for all of these and you may purchase directly from them.

First up on today’s list is Hiking Buddies. I’ve got three real beauties this week too. They’re all ground from 1/8” thick 3D Spalted 01. There is a Scandi one wearing antique canvas micarta for $225 shipped. I also have two convexed ones wearing Tuxedo Config (Black over natural with natural pins), and a white linen over natural canvas. Either knife costs $200 shipped.

[​IMG]

While we’re on the small ones check out this pair of pretty tools. Both are ground from 1/8” thick 3D Spalted 01. A Bushcraft Karda wearing maroon linen over natural canvas. And also a Fiddleback Carving Knife wearing desert Ironwood! $225 shipped for either knife.

[​IMG]

Next up why not show you the Bushfingers. That way Erich doesn’t break a finger trying to scroll down like a madman. There are four very nice Bushfingers this week. All are convexed on 5/32” thick 3D Spalted 01. The handle combo’s are:

Antique Canvas: $250 shipped
    Tuxedo Config: $225 shipped
    Ivory Paper: $250 shipped
    Stabalized Lacewood: $260 shipped

[​IMG]

A few pretty Bushcrafters too. 5/32” thick and convex with natural canvas over black ($225 shipped). 1/8” thick with Emerald Burlap over natural canvas ($255 shipped). Black on black with blue ($225 shipped).

[​IMG]

The Kephart in this weeks batch is a stunner. 5/32” thick with a convex sabergrind. The handle is stabilized dyed Maple burl. $275 shipped.

[​IMG]

I have an Arete today that is quite handsome. 5/32” thick with a convex sabergrind. The handle is maroon linen over natural canvas. $250 shipped.

[​IMG]

I have one Recluse available today. It has antique canvas micarta scales on 1/8” thick 3D Spalted 01 steel with a Scandi grind. $250 shipped.

[​IMG]

Lastly I have a very sexy Woodsman wearing wenge over natural canvas. This knife is a stunner guys. 5/32” thick 3D Spalted 01 and convex. $325 shipped.

[​IMG]

2. pveiled

pveiled

Apr 26, 2012
    Andy the handle on that Kephart looks like it's made a little thinner than the one in last week's batch. If so I will gladly take it!!! If you think that one is still too beefy for my wife please let me know and I'll do my best to grab something else...what a batch this week they're all stunners!

ETA: Blaid you are totally right: I am at work and suuuuper busy right now but I can't miss a Fiddleback Friday! :)

Second Edit: I'm finally finding the time to grab some lunch and this means I've actually got a chance to take a proper look at this week's batch as well. WOW! Andy dude, are you on a mission to one-up yourself week by week? If so well done...this batch is stellar; it has some of the sweetest knives in recent memory IMO. The Arete, Carver and BCKarda are all calling my name HARD...I wish I had more money to spend on this fine, functional art made of steel and scales! Kudos on another fantastic Fiddleback Friday.

@Andy: Good luck with your application to the Knifemaker's Guild: I realize that it's a very formalized process but they'd be insane to not approve your work. You're easily making some of the very best fixed-blade knives on the market today, IMO. So certified or not...you're a Knifemaker :p Enjoy the camp-out weekend!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. Blaid

Blaid Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Hey, pveiled it looks like you were definitely typing faaaaassssst...;-)

Andy, these are beautiful and I handled each and every one right after you posted them. I am going to force myself to turn away now for a few minutes.

Dave

4. jvl

jvl

Jan 17, 2011
    I'll take the Tuxedo Config bushfinger: $225 shipped
    money sent.

5. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I'll take the Scandi Hiking Buddy wearing antique canvas micarta.

6. Case_XX

Case_XX

Nov 18, 2009
    I will take the white linen hiking buddy.

7. ErichM

ErichM Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Nice batch Andy. That ivory paper is sweet! ... so is that kephart

8. RyanS

RyanS

Nov 20, 2009
    Oh man, that Arete is sweet!

9. gottahaveit27

gottahaveit27

Aug 31, 2008
    Nice work Andy. I just got beaten to the linen hiking buddy. Congrats on the swipe. I'll take seconds.

10. Stratmeister

Stratmeister

Feb 6, 2009
    Seconds on the Kephardt...

11. maw

maw Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Hi Andy,

I'll take the Arete (maroon linen over natural canvas 5/32” thick with a convex sabergrind) for $250.00.

Thank you kindly.

Mark

12. pveiled

pveiled

Apr 26, 2012

I was hoping you would swoop in and grab that knife, Mark. I knew you were looking for an Arete and that one is just perfect IMO! Enjoy ;)

13. maw

Oct 15, 2000
    What an incredible batch Andy. You did it again!

I certainly hope you have a wonderful time camping and get some serious father daughter time. The importance of sharing your time like this cannot be understated. I am sure she is looking forward to it as you are!

Lastly, I do hope you get accepted into the Knifemakers Guild. What talent you offer and with a great attitude to boot. It seems quite clear to me that you have a strong passion to explore new boundaries and continue to grow your knowledge and talents.

Take care.

Mark

14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Actually, no. The handle is thick. Give me a call and I'll make something up to fit her.

You got it. Thanks!

Its yours. Thanks!

Thats a stunner! Thanks!

You got it Ray. Thanks!

Thanks Mark. Its yours!!! Two Aretes in a row. I have more in the pipes guys. No troubles!

15. maw

Oct 15, 2000
    Thank you for your kind words Sean. I too was happy to see you securing the Kephart. The handle does look a little thinner than last week's knife and will make a superb gift for your wife. I do hope it works out for her! :)

Edit: I must have been replying at the same time Andy made his post. Sorry to hear that the handle on the Kephart sounds a bit too thick. But what a guy Andy is to offer to produce something that will work. That is pretty awesome...pretty awesome indeed!

Take care.

Mark

16. pveiled

pveiled

Apr 26, 2012
    Now that is an offer I cannot refuse! Thanks for your accommodation Andy, I will give you a shout this coming Monday if that works for you.

@Stratmeister: It looks like my loss is your gain. I am going to have to take a pass on that WONDERFUL looking Kephart so congrats, that knife is quite the looker ;)

Thanks for the kind thoughts Mark. I am sad to let that stunner of a knife go but I trust Andy's opinion and hey, I am NOT about to complain about that offer! I knew Andy would get me straightened out eventually but this is what I would call going above and beyond, no doubt :)

17. River Otter

River Otter

Sep 11, 2012
    Man, Fiddleback Friday is a great, even though I haven't found "my" Fiddleback yet it's such a blast watching it all unfold. There are some beautiful ones in this batch Andy, well done.

18. saucyCT

saucyCT

Jul 5, 2012
    Damn. Late to the party (my bank account is happy for that!) and my favorites are all scooped up!

Kephart: WOW! What a knife! Stratmeister, I call thirds if you are not getting it. That is a hot knife. (Ps. I play a lot of strats too!)

FB Carver: That is a killer little knife Andy! Thanks for adding yet another model to my "must have" list! I am going to wait a pinch and see what happens first...

The Arete: Another model on my list. Great score Mark. That is going to be a fun knife in your harem (wrong word? methinks not.).

Sexy Woodsman: Hey, that's what I call myself!?! Seriously, if I didn't have 2 already this would be a top pick from this batch. Guys, don't be afraid of the bigger knives: LOVE the hunter profile and I have 2 Woodsman (Woodsmen?) because they are awesome (as in, useful tools that do it nicely).

Have a great weekend with your girl Andy. I really look forward to Myla's first camping mission—I just have to make sure I don't "overteach" her and keep it fun. Really want my little girl to be skilled in the woods.

The rest of this batch is really pretty as well. That Lacewood Bushfinger is yelling at me, "WTF? Why aren't you buying me already!" I have to go now...

CT

19. Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2005
    Great batch and super combinations! Don't worry about the Guild, your work will be juried in with no problem. Enjoy the trip with Hannah.

Sheaths are available for this batch. Custom requests are welcomed.

20. nativejim

nativejim

May 6, 2011
    Dam Andy that Woodsman is SEXY!