1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fight'n Rooster knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Mick57, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Mick57

Mick57

May 27, 2004
    Anyone here own one of their models?
    I dug up some info through Google & it appears they're highly regarded for the most part.
    Just wondering what the opinions are of anyone here who has one or handled them.
    I picked up one off the 'bay recently (3 blade Barlow) & must say I am impressed with it.

2. Absintheur

Absintheur Banned by Moderators

Jan 31, 2008
    I have a dozen or so, all first or second generation. I have been giving them to my father for gifts as well. My favorite is still the first one I bought however...

[​IMG]

3. TLARbb

TLARbb Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I've got several, mostly large stockman pattern, but have a tiny 4-blade congress pattern. All these are handled in celluloid. I think I have 6 stockmans altogether.

I also have a horn handled 4-blade canoe that I am carrying now because the scales got chipped up in an un-oh.

Fit and finish is good enough. The only problem on mine is the celluloid time-bomb scales. The steel seems easy to sharpen and stays sharp fine. Maybe not as good as some of the new super powder steels, but then they are less money.

I like the knives except for that sticky point.

Try to stay with bone or stag and you should be good to go. Pearl is pretty, but if you drop it you can break it. If you use it, sooner or later you'll drop it. Like my canoe above, which got broken when it was only being handled, not actually used.

PM if you want to see some pictures.

EJ

4. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I have an End of Day Stockman, which is ok, but I thought it would be better. I also have a toe nail in ugly celluloid where the scales are coming off, and a cigar pattern that has some blade wobble and a lazy spring. I have not been too lucky on ebay with Fightin' Roosters. I still like them though.

5. Mick57

Mick57

May 27, 2004
  6. rprocter

rprocter Banned

Jan 19, 2007
    I have about 70 Fight'n Roosters, mostly Frank Buster Cutlery Co. and some 'Celebrated', none of the 'and Sons'. these earlier ones are the best i think and often are interesting older patterns.
    Parker's F'nR book shows up on ebay regularly. get a copy if you want to collect these knives as it helps to sort them out.
    Frank's son has been having knives made very recently and is using the 'Celebrated' stamp which officially expired in 1994. an example is a 4" Shadow Wharncliffe Whittler which recently has shown up in numbers with various ebay sellers. this fakery really annoys me so i won't buy any knife from sellers who are participating in this deception.
    the knife linked to above is not a good example of Fight'n Roosters and it may or may not have been even made in Germany. that seller is frequently deceptive and one i avoid.
    Here's a better example. Celebrated Dogleg Jack "Fame and Fortune".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roland

7. texasflyfisher

texasflyfisher

Aug 17, 2007
    roland,

That is some nice looking stag! Nice looking dogleg!

cj,

What exactly is an "End of Day Stockman" ?

8. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    I bought one of their Sunfish models a couple years ago.I was not real pleased with it.The two smaller blades rubbed together,while opening and closing either blade.It,needless to say,produced some major scratches.I hardly ever look at it anymore,as it really pisses me off !

9. rprocter

rprocter Banned

Jan 19, 2007
    Thanks Tex. yes it is a very nice Dogleg Jack. i have other F'nRs just as nice.
    "End of Day" is a type of celluloid handle material which shows various geometrical shaped colored pieces in it.
    Most Sunfish (Elephant Toe) knives have blade rub due to the very wide blades, however the F'nR 'Toes' i have are not bad.
    roland

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  10. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Here's a link to a few of mine. http://www.fototime.com/inv/16C043220DA8DE5
    The finish on the pearl on the FRs is like no other. Truly amazing. I have never had a Fight'n Rooster with poor blade fall or backsprings.
    Greg

11. rprocter

rprocter Banned

Jan 19, 2007
    Very nice Greg. I don't have even 1 of those you show which speaks to the very diverse offerings with the F'nRs.
    roland

12. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    Frank Buster broke tradition and created his own rendition of slipjoints with different blade configurations and so on. He pretty much broke the mold.
    When you click on the link I provided and have opened the image you wish to see, click on "view original" below the image you open up to see it full size.
    Greg

13. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Time for a lineup photo op. :thumbup:
    That stag is great.

14. Absintheur

Jan 31, 2008
    Here is an example of that...a penknive but on steroids, this is 3 3/4 inches closed. Just a long slender knife that carries very nicely. Large for a pen but I like it.

[​IMG]

15. rprocter

rprocter Banned

Jan 19, 2007
    "Time for a lineup photo op"
    yes, i've been thinking of starting a Fight'n Rooster thread, so i guess this is now it.
    I'm away from home for a few days but will take some pics of my "Roosters" when i get back and 2' high lawns get mowed !
    roland

16. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Roland,

Thanks for the input and history. I really like the originality the Fight'n Roosters show. However, I seem to get dogs when I do spring for them on ebay. I need more learnin'.

17. Absintheur

Jan 31, 2008
    These three are the same model with different scale colors. The blade on each says "Family First", these will go to the adult males in the family.

[​IMG]

This one I bought even tho there wasn't a single in focus pic on the auction page, took a chance, bought it for a song and I really like the scale. They remind me of an old aggie marble.

[​IMG]

My Fight'n Rooster soddie...blade is marked "Indiana"...where I have lived most my life...

[​IMG]

My "Big Apple" stockman, the heart shield sold me on this one...

[​IMG]

This stockman was gifted to Dad, it is marked "My Dad was a pistol, I'm a Son of a Gun".

[​IMG]

18. sunnyd

sunnyd

Jul 17, 2004
  19. Mick57

Mick57

May 27, 2004
    Wow, some pretty sweet examples posted. :thumbup:
    Thanks to all.

20. rprocter

rprocter Banned

Jan 19, 2007
    Sunnyd, thanks for that link. I'm looking forward to showing some of mine, none of which are in that thread, however my pics will not be so professional.
    roland