Fire axe head ID

My research points to Shapleigh Hardware, can I get a confirmation? Also, who made them for Shapleigh, Mann? Anyway, given it's age it is in superior condition.

Last edited:
Definitely shapleigh hardware, but I'm not sure who made them or if it's been documented anywhere. Someone may know and I'm sure they'll chime in so don't worry.

Fayette R. Plumb II (the grandson of the original F.R. Plumb) said that Plumb made the Diamond Edge brand.

Mr. Plumb disclosed that Plumb made the following brands, among others:
Blue Grass
O-V-B (Our Very Best)
Diamond Edge

From an article in The Chronicle (The Chronicle of The Early American Industries Association, Vol. 37, No. 4, December 1984, pages 70-71, "Yerkes & Plumb" by Dan Comerford) about the history of Plumb, as told (or written) to the author by Fayette R. Plumb II (the grandson of the original F.R. Plumb).

I would like to know whats stamped next to "Diamond Edge". It just doesn't look like anything I have seen on a Shapliegh axe. And there were other makers useing Diamond Edge beside Shapliegh hardware. Maybe it is a Shapleigh but its not what I am used to seeing stamped on them.

I would also question if it was a Plumb made axe. Plumb doesn't seem likely at all with "Crucible steel bit". I have been trying to figure out when Plumb started making solid steel axes. I am having some trouble finding any examples that are not solid steel. Despite an advertisement from the 20's with their new steel axe. It may have been new but the solid steel part wasn't.

oooooooooooh you scored, crucible steel was considered "super steel" for thousands of years before our super steels. it's very tricky to work with so that drove the price up even higher

According to this 1914 publication, Shapleigh used high grade crucible steel for the bits, and punched solid steel for the eyes of the Diamond Edge phantom bevel axes:

content

Perhaps Shapleigh contracted out to another company to make their axes before they changed to Plumb?

On the other hand, Plumb used an inserted bit in the early 1900s, according to this 1907 publication, and "Diamond Edge" has reportedly been Shapleigh's trademark since 1864, so the evidence I've seen (so far) tips in favor of Plumb making that axe.

content

And the punched eye from steel is a Plumb thing and advertising point.

Interestingly I had read the link you posted(1907) just yesterday and just didn't scroll up far enough. To make it worse I own one of them Tasmanians with the forged bit. I had thought that was a corrosion line where the factory paint was. I never suspected they inserted their bits. It was plane as day in hind sight.
Thank you as always Steve!

Great tool, Wonderful condition. Looks like a legal 6 pounder.
Its nice so many old fireaxes spent their life hanging on the wall never to be used.
A shame its haft was cut off, It was probably a perfect specimen & superior to most hafts available nowdays.

Great tool, Wonderful condition. Looks like a legal 6 pounder.
Its nice so many old fireaxes spent their life hanging on the wall never to be used.
A shame its haft was cut off, It was probably a perfect specimen & superior to most hafts available nowdays.

A nice thought, but I am the villain that cut it. It was a nice handle but not spectacular. Unfortunately it was wrapped with electrical tape for the entire length and wet. It wasn't good.

Fayette R. Plumb II (the grandson of the original F.R. Plumb) said that Plumb made the Diamond Edge brand.

Mr. Plumb disclosed that Plumb made the following brands, among others:
Blue Grass
O-V-B (Our Very Best)
Diamond Edge

From an article in The Chronicle (The Chronicle of The Early American Industries Association, Vol. 37, No. 4, December 1984, pages 70-71, "Yerkes & Plumb" by Dan Comerford) about the history of Plumb, as told (or written) to the author by Fayette R. Plumb II (the grandson of the original F.R. Plumb).

OK, but we know that TT also made axes for Blue Grass. Hardware stores change suppliers like diapers. Sears was famous for this.

To put a maker on this we'd need a date and a time line for what makers they used.

Diamond Edge- Walters Axe Co
- Francis Axe Co
- Welland Vale

From "Axe Makers Of North America"

Did these guys contract with Shapleigh also at different times?

It is strange that they all made "Diamond Edge".

Top-of-the-line Walters were marketed (and stamped) "Black Diamond" and older ones (before 1913?) had a diamond outline pressed on them but I'm unfamiliar with any that are referred to as "diamond edge". Below is a pre-WWI Walters.

WaltersAxe002Large_zpsa165094b.jpg

OK, but we know that TT also made axes for Blue Grass. Hardware stores change suppliers like diapers. Sears was famous for this.

To put a maker on this we'd need a date and a time line for what makers they used.

What has me stumped is there appears to be a some kind of an oval shaped stamp after "Diamond Edge". Not saying that Plumb is not the maker though.

Its been a good thread for me though because Steve unraveled the mystery of the elusive, at least for me two part Plumb axes. A steel bit inserted into a steel body. That is building the best axe possible while trying to stay competitive. Amazing quality.

With that being said, how is the axe in question constructed? Looks more like an over coat, but I am not sure. And even if it is a over coat would that rule out Plumb? I sure can't find any Plumbs made that way. If they are out there its all good though because I am here to learn.

The steel body may be a quite mild steel, like 1018 (so, just a "touch" of Carbon). Some custom makers use it instead of iron...it may even be easier to get than iron today :).

"DIAMOND EDGE. Trademark Information
Val-Test Distributors, Inc.

[ AUGERS, AUGER-BITS, REAMERS, GIMLETS, BORING-COUNTERSINKS, CUTTING-PLIERS, CUTTING-PINCERS, AXES, HATCHETS, FILES, BUSH-HOOKS, ] CORN-KNIVES, [ CANE-KNIVES, ]BEET-TOPPING KNIVES, [ BROOM-CORN KNIVES, ] SKINNING-KNIVES, [ CHISELS, ] DRAWING-KNIVES, [ COLD CHISELS, ] KNIFE-EDGE CAN OPENERS, MEAT-CUTTERS, FOOD-CHOPPERS, [ SCYTHES, CLEAVERS, MINCING-KNIVES, BELT PUNCHES, TICKET-PUNCHES, GRASS-SHEARS, SHEEP-SHEARS, TINNERS' SNIPS, TOILET CLIPPERS..."
http://www.trademarkia.com/diamond-edge-71014612.html

From the Archives of
The Winchester * Keen Kutter* Diamond Edge Chronicles
Volume 1, Number 3 & 4, March 1997
The Official Publication of The Hardware Companies Kollectors Klub
www.thckk.org:

"Shapleigh celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 1943. In 1955, the directors
sold the company to Curtis Mfg. Co. He continued to operate the business
under the Shapleigh Hardware name until closing in the early 1960's. ValTest
owns the rights to the Keen Kutter and Diamond Edge logos today."
http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf

FWIW It seems possible that the axe could have been distributed by Val-Test post Shapleigh?

Bob

Back