1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

First Connecticut pattern

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by M3mphis, Mar 30, 2012.

1. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Worked on this one tonight. Its my first Connecticut pattern, and I'm pumped about it. I'm not pumped about the fingertip chunk that it took off. I hate debating whether or not to go for stitches. i elected not to this time. Bled like a stuck pig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32" overall. Really diggin the length!
    [​IMG]

Take care,

Matt

2. Frank-New Zealand

Frank-New Zealand

Jan 16, 2012
    She looks nice Matt. Very nice indeed. 32" is my favorite length. Just seems to fit. Good on yer mate.

regards...Frank

3. Frank-New Zealand

Frank-New Zealand

Jan 16, 2012
    I also like the blistered look of the wall you use as a back-drop for your photos.

4. Error 404

Error 404

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't know we had our own pattern. I like it though, good job! Hope you heal quickly.

5. Frank-New Zealand

Frank-New Zealand

Jan 16, 2012
    Matt...About the cut...Harden-up man:D

regards...Frank

6. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Kind of looks like my old timer. Your stamp looks clean.Head looks huge in pics. How heavy I'm guessing 4lb?
    Last time my ax bit me, my old timer by the way. While I was putting it away no less.
    I used krazy glue to seal the wound. Still not to late to get stitches it will heal faster.

I like the way you evenly sharpen into it an inch or so. Looks like a work horse.
    Came out beautious!

Forgot to ask about the patina it looks great, do anything special to it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  7. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    That axe looks good M3mphis. I like it

If it makes you feel better I took the tip of my finger almost all the way off last night too with my axe :D I'm hoping I don't need stitches either.....stupid is as stupid does

8. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Nice axe!

9. nickzdon

nickzdon

Mar 3, 2011
    Looks great M3mphis. I have yet to get myself a Conneticut. There must be something about the phase the moon is in, because I got bit on Tuesday. It was an old Warren DB that got me while I was trying to remove the old handle piece that was still stuck in the eye.

10. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    Beautiful axe Matt. Tell us about the patina. I have been lucky and not cut myself seriously with my axes. I've bled though. I put up signs warning everyone the all my axes and knives are sharp and pointy. They still have to try the edges and points. I carry a small first aid kit to all the shows I do. I think the signs are sort of like telling your kids that a stove is hot and will burn you.

Howard

11. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wow! Nice axe... and a completelly new pattern to me. I´ve never seen any like this.

Thank for showing this off!

Kind regards
    Andi

12. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks for the compliments, Fellas. I didn't weigh the head, cause I don't have a scale. It is certainly a broad beast but I'd say it's 3.5lbs at the max. It has a beautifully thin profile. I'll post up a pic. I had to sharpen it up, but I didn't reprofile at all. I sanded the crescent shape just for looks, it didn't actually need it. I took it out back and chopped up an elm log before I had even sharpened it, and it bites deep. I can't wait to really swing it.

Regarding the patina, that's exactly how it came to me + a shot of WD-40. Wish I had a perfect recipe to create that because it is certainly a beautiful one.

To me, there are a lot of things that are "right" about the Connecticut pattern. Shorter from poll to bit=better balance. Broad bit=efficiency. Long eye=reliable, sturdy. Of course that's all just hypothetical until I really use it. I have found those things to be true with my jersey's, though. This one also has a lovely high-centerline.

We'll see, but I have a hunch that this may give my current favorite bucking axe a run for it's money. Right now, it's a Kelly Perfect Michigan pattern. It's not my favorite pattern (prefer the squareness of the dayton) but it's a choppin fool. Might have to have a little shoot-out! :D Unfortunately, I broke the handle on the Kelly a while back, and haven't replaced it.

13. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Glad you fellas checked it out. If you want to see more like this one, look through Frank-New Zealand's threads. He's got some beauty's! I'm assuming Frank refers to them as Tasmanian or Aussie pattern. Is that right, Frank? Cooperhill has also posted some sweet Connecticuts.

14. Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you for the advice... I gonna start a clicking-session! :)

Kind regards
    Andi

15. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
  16. Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Well done, my friend... good work causes sometimes a bit pain I know that just too good. I was once hit by a bailsaw, should have been at the hospital, got infected... now a have a an ugly scar on my right hand...

Kind regards
    Andi

17. mattyak

mattyak

Feb 29, 2012
    Matt,

That thing is sweeeet! Nice work. I am anxiously awaiting mine to arrive. I just got the tracking number on wed. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Probably wishful thinking though.

My Grandpa always warned me that if you play with things that are sharp your bound to get bit. Super glue is a second best to stitches. The stuff never leaves my pack.

18. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    "Regarding the patina, that's exactly how it came to me + a shot of WD-40. Wish I had a perfect recipe to create that because it is certainly a beautiful one"

i think you can get a pretty good patina with mustard and ketchup + a little hot sauce for the heck of it.

let it do it work for several days and then a light coat of raw or boiled linseed.

very nice axe, actually the first Con pattern i've seen

buzz
    thanks for posting

19. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    I should have never commented on the cut fingers! Shortly after my post, I was packing for a show and had a knife to slip and cut a gash in my left thumb about 1 inch long and almost to the bone. Good old steri strips, 2x2s, and adhesive tape. I didn't realize I was out of super glue.

Howard

20. SkogKniv

SkogKniv

Jul 25, 2009
    She came out great buddy!