1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

First Fiddleback Forge Knife!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by sisk61, Feb 27, 2012.

1. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Hi everyone! i bought a Fiddleback Forge Bushcrafter on ebay last week, and it should come in today. im extremely excited... First Knife from Fiddleback and ive heard nothing but the best about them. I bought this one without a sheath so im not sure what im going to do about that.. I have a Koster bushcrafter with a JRE sheath that came with it, im going to see if the Fiddleback will fit in that sheath first. not sure though. Id like to carry both knives with me into the woods because The koster is a scandi and the Fiddleback is convex, and i also have beaten the crap out of the koster and its still hanging in there, i feel like id be a little scared to put the Fiddleback through some rough work.. It looks so incredible in the pictures. Anyways, ill let you guys know what i think. and Id eventually like to find a sheath for the fiddleback. I dont really want to spend too much money, i just want a sheath that works. Ive been considering Making my own, but ive never done that before... KSF sells some decent sheaths on their website, but i like the overall look of a gundy sheath from JRE. Thanks!!

2. chainring

chainring KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2008
    Talk to Talfuchre and J.Oeser here on the forum for the most immaculate custom leather work known to civilized man. Welcome to the world of Fiddleback. The first is just a gateway drug. :)

3. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks! Yeah.. I bought that knife looking for an end to my problem of knife purchasing... but now i look at all of his other stuff, and theyre incredible..

4. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Congrats. We need pics.

5. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Ill definitely try put up pics. cameras been odd with my computer lately and i Havent gotten the knife in yet. the suspense is killing me!

6. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    The Scandi grind is a LOT more prone to problems than the convex grind. Use that knife. The above options are great sheaths. A very nice sheath at a very nice price may come from Heber Ellsworth. I'm going to start stocking those, but haven't yet.

7. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    I agree with Andy here. I have a Koster too - but if you have beaten the Koster with little issue - you will not have a problem with a Convex Andy makes.

I have the Arete in Both Convex and Scandi - and when I am going with hard woods - the Convex comes out.

More meat behind the tip - period. (Well - all else equal).

Oh - and that sheath will not fit - Andy's is too 'wide'.

TF

8. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks for the info, I have noticed that the scandi koster chips a lot under heavy use. This will be my first convex blade. Im very excited, You make some BEAUTIFUL knives, Andy. I dont have a legitimate strop, but ive been using a leather belt because thats all ive got and i dont really have a true convex knife, i just found that a slight stropping on all my blades kept them sharp. I cannot wait to see this knife. it should be about an hour till the mail man arrives.

9. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks TF,

Ill have to see about getting a sheath done. How long would it be for a sheath to be made? Eventually id like to get a nice sheath for the bushcrafter, but Id like to take my knife into the woods soon.. i guess i can just wrap it up in a cloth and put it in my backpack for now.

10. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    JUST got the knife!!!!!!!! it feels INCREDIBLE in the hand and looks amazing. Andy you have an unbelievable gift! The bushcrafter barely fits in the koster sheath, it will work for now. Im so happy with this blade. It is a little dull, so im going to work on the edge with my makeshift strop. Ill try to put up pictures tomorrow. :D

11. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Do some research and learn how to properly sharpen a convex edge.

I am not making sheaths right now to order - so you will need to look elsewhere - but I am glad it fits in the sheath you have for now.

TF

12. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Feel free to send it home for a spa day if/when it needs it.

O1 won't be chip prone. .

13. KFU

KFU Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator

Sep 10, 2007
    Awesome grab, I have a Bushcrafter it is a great woods knife. As for the sheath, I have a couple extras that should fit it made by my leather guy if you want one. It fits mine great but it might not be your style. Not the quality of the aforementioned leather crafters but its a solid sheath.

[​IMG]

14. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Alright! The convex blade does have a micro bevel on it, i think i can get rid of it with some sandpaper. Im very very impressed with this knife, Andy, I cannot thank you enough for this quality craftsmanship (even though i didnt purchase it from you) Incredible job. Also, Im so used to scandi and flat ground knives that i am not prepared to sharpen a convex. I plan on getting some wet dry sandpaper tomorrow. Im very happy with your product. You make some of the best looking knives out there. Im Just down the road in alabama, so i will definitely have to send it in sometime for a clean up. thank you so much!!!

15. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks KFU, I really like the look of that sheath but i dont know if i have the cash right now due to the knife, how much would you sell one for?

16. Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    KFU - nice sheath bro.

TF

17. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Get sanding belts rather than sheets of paper and cinch it down over leather on a piece of wood. Thats the easiest way to sharpen a knife I know of. Color the edge with a sharpie before you start though. That way you can remove the metal you want, and won't get frustrated.

18. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Small fuzzstick. The Bushcrafter preforms excellently on feathersticks.

[​IMG]

Heres the knife with a few others

[​IMG]

The knife fits incredibly well in the Koster sheath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful and comfortable handle

[​IMG]

Great blade shape. the point is ideal for drilling a hole for a bowdrill.

[​IMG]

Incredible knife, Andy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    If that fits that well in that sheath - Look up JRE Sheaths online and call them - see what Dan uses on his bushcrafters and order another. Great sheath for the price.

Or get a custom that will be one of a kind - both great ideas.

TF