Fiskars 14" Hatchet

Second time this has happened in the past 6 months with this tool. No fluke, somebody in Quality Control is hitting the vodka a bit too much at work at Fiskars I say...

I wasn't driving the hatchet into the ground. I don't believe that the hatchet even struck the ground, I was just pointing out that any unnoticed follow-through into the material below went into something fairly forgiving as opposed to my driveway.

It's quite possible that the handle took a portion of the impact blow when it broke. The head is very small. However, the packaging specifically lists the axe's ability to handle overstrikes if that was the case. When the hatchet broke, the log was not split buy the blow. In fact, I felt very little resistance in my hand as I struck the final shot when the handle broke. It gave away surprisingly easily.

It was fairly cold today...in the high 20's Fahrenheit. I was only outside with the hatchet for about 20-25 minutes though, and it certainly doesn't qualify as an extreme temperature, imho.

Regardless of the many previous positive experience with this company:
-I purchased a "Product".
-I used the "Product" in a manner reasonably in line with the intended use of the product for a short period of time.
-The "Product" failed in a way that would have left me at a great disadvantage if I was on a multi-day trip while using it.
-The failure was exactly what the manufacturer claimed (through advertising) would not happen when using the "Product". In fact, this is one of the biggest selling points of the "Product".

I never suggested (nor do I now suggest) that anyone avoid buying/using one of these based on this. I did feel that my experience with this axe was certainly worth bringing to attention, though, and that everyone could draw their own conclusions (which generally seems to be the case).

I doubt you did anything wrong. I heard that production of these may be moving from Finland to who knows where. I wonder if quality has slipped.

Like others have said, the chipping edge is not a surprise. I have even seen them on store shelves with chipped edges. However, once they are sharpened past the initial edge they stop chipping.

The handle however, is a whole different story. That is just unacceptable. I am sorry that you had such a poor experience with what I generally think of as a highly regarded tool.

JCA21 yes, thanks for that...older you get the longer the brain farts seem to last,LOL!

Yes, My point is these things Fiskars CANNOT be rehandled in the Bush, if ever. If one believes that they are suitable kit and carries them afield then that's their call. Maybe this is why so many folks are staunch advocates of wood handled Bush tools. ALL products are fallible especially for our intended uses, trust your knowledge base not your tools. Improvisation in the wilderness is a greater survival tool than all the other things you could toss into a pack and lug along.....now where the heck IS that donkey of mine...Grin

That's too bad........but I still want to get one!

On a side note, anybody see this Estwing axe? I didn't know they made a big one like this!
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0006581511062a.shtml

I saw it at Home depot for $39.99

Have one, carry it in my jeep, bought it about 8 years ago, the only damage to it was when my brother in law "borrowed" it while I was out of camp and cut some firewood sitting on gravel (took a chip out near the top of the blade) and stuck it back in my my truck wet (small rust pits)
He caused that damage by abuse, I would buy another one again, I like a longer handle on my hatchet then most people though

Buy the way I also have two 14 inch fiskars and they have worked well for me

I wasn't driving the hatchet into the ground. I don't believe that the hatchet even struck the ground, I was just pointing out that any unnoticed follow-through into the material below went into something fairly forgiving as opposed to my driveway.

It's quite possible that the handle took a portion of the impact blow when it broke. The head is very small. However, the packaging specifically lists the axe's ability to handle overstrikes if that was the case. When the hatchet broke, the log was not split buy the blow. In fact, I felt very little resistance in my hand as I struck the final shot when the handle broke. It gave away surprisingly easily.

It was fairly cold today...in the high 20's Fahrenheit. I was only outside with the hatchet for about 20-25 minutes though, and it certainly doesn't qualify as an extreme temperature, imho.

Regardless of the many previous positive experience with this company:
-I purchased a "Product".
-I used the "Product" in a manner reasonably in line with the intended use of the product for a short period of time.
-The "Product" failed in a way that would have left me at a great disadvantage if I was on a multi-day trip while using it.
-The failure was exactly what the manufacturer claimed (through advertising) would not happen when using the "Product". In fact, this is one of the biggest selling points of the "Product".

I never suggested (nor do I now suggest) that anyone avoid buying/using one of these based on this. I did feel that my experience with this axe was certainly worth bringing to attention, though, and that everyone could draw their own conclusions (which generally seems to be the case).

I for one think that what you stated and what you posted on here was reasonable.
I think that a honest posting whether showing a product performing well or failing is a benefit to the forum

Yes, My point is these things Fiskars CANNOT be rehandled in the Bush, if ever. If one believes that they are suitable kit and carries them afield then that's their call. Maybe this is why so many folks are staunch advocates of wood handled Bush tools. ALL products are fallible especially for our intended uses, trust your knowledge base not your tools. Improvisation in the wilderness is a greater survival tool than all the other things you could toss into a pack and lug along.....now where the heck IS that donkey of mine...Grin

+1 :thumbup:

You definitely had a defective one. I've beaten to hell outa' mine because I was skeptical of the hollow handle and there was no ill effect suffered.

It's pretty well known 'round these parts that Fiskars often need to be sharpened back to get to good metal, their grinders can effect the heat-treat at the edge, yours still seems rather exaggerated for such menial work though.

I haven't tried an Estwing yet but would love to pick one up, I like choking up on my axes however and the metal looks like it would make this uncomfortable.

Raskolnikov, is there a marking on your Fiskars that would indicate where it was made?

Thanks,
Matt

117a593.jpg

I now worry about depending on my other Fiskars axe when I'm out in the

That is the side on which all 3 of my Gerber/Fishars hatchets and ax are stamps 'Fiskars Finland.' I do not see that stamp on Rask's hatchet. Maybe the picture resolution isn't there (but I thinkit is a good picture). And seeing as my Gerber 14" hatchet has been batoned through countless feet of wood in the 14 years that I have owned it and it still has the 'Fiskars Finland stamp perfectly visible, I doubt that Rask would be able to war the marking off so quickly...

...Unless it is an outsourced piece, and because it was not manufactured in Finland, it can't bear the stamp.

Either way, I'm glad Rask was not hurt, and it is a bummer that this situation had to happen. Thank you Rask for sharing this with us. Lexan (handle material) is pretty durable, and I will guess that something occurred in the molding process. I would certainly contact Fiskars to pursue a warranty claim.

1Tracker said:
Yes, My point is these things Fiskars CANNOT be rehandled in the Bush, if ever.

Not that I am setting out to debunk you, 1Tracker, but your statement has raised a curiousity in me. If I can find a Fiskars 14" hatchet for a reasonable price, I will try to remove and rehandle the head. Again, I'm just curious. I imagine it will not be an easy thing to do with my usual compliment of camp tools.

All I ask is that you go through the process with Fiskars to have it examined and replaced. If there is a defect you might save someone else from your fate - your backyard test could save a life, if the info gets to the right people.

Should have had a saw anyway :)

I have one and I like the idea of a hollow handle for stashing stuff, but the design will never be as good as a solid handle. The steel is kinda weird too. I've seen a lot of broken wood handles over the years, but they were 99% misplaced strikes, which could happen with someone who is exhausted, hungry, low blood sugar, dehydrated and freaked out.

I just can't see the small hatchet/axes for big cutting jobs. A full sized axe with a ~30" handle is a real tool. Tools like the Vaughan Sub Zero are kindling splitters.

I wonder how the bar steel type hatchets with scale-style handles compare? For the life of me, I can't remember a maker/brand at the moment.

Thanks for the review and heads up! We're seen production change to other countries, and good brands go to mass-marketing conglomerates that don't have a clue. Odd, but Gerber being bought by Fiskars is a perfect example. The North Face was bought up by a fashion outfit and turned into some sort of "Mountain Gap."

Yeah, now that's a broken hatchet right there. :eek: Some thoughts:

1) you obviously have a bad specimen. Return it, and it will be covered under warranty. This is what the warranty is for.
2) sometimes there are bad specimens with any manufacturer. Does anyone know of any manufacturer of any knife or axe here who produces tens of thousands of items a year and has never let a bad specimen through quality control? If someone does know of such a company, I'd like to hear of it! ;) Why would companies have warranties if they had 100 % faith in their quality control? So I don't see that this proves anything in the fashion of "these tools cannot be relied upon".
3) this is why it's important and wise to field test any tool before relying on it in a tough spot.
4) I've never seen a Fiskars handle break like that, which is a sure sign of a bad specimen. I have hatchets like this that are over a decade old and still kicking after lots of use and abuse.
5) I haven't heard of Fiskars outsourcing their Fiskars brand axes anywhere. As far as I know, they should all be made in Finland. Does anyone have any proof that suggests otherwise? :eek:

Gerber has at least two axes that are outsourced, under the Gator name. These have a knife in the handle. All of the Fiskars axes, and their Gerber counterparts that I have seen have the Made in Finland stamp. I have heard NOTHING about outsourcing or going overseas.

Shame that that happened to Fiskars,but it does sometimes,even to best companies with all QC and such.Anyway,nothing is indestructible,so I do prefer traditional hatchet,I have some very old ones,just had to rehandle them from time to time.

That's too bad........but I still want to get one!

On a side note, anybody see this Estwing axe? I didn't know they made a big one like this!
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0006581511062a.shtml

I saw it at Home depot for $39.99

It's at an awkward size- at least for me I wanted to hold it like a hatchet but it didn't have the weight of a Large axe to split some very hard wood I was chopping. -My stepdad loves it bc I sharpened it and gave it to him. I still love my Estwing hatchet though.

Wow :eek: I hate to see that, like they have already said yours must have been a lemon or made in China ? I have the Gerber/Fiskars 14" sportaxe & love it & my brother has the litte Gerber/Fiskars packaxe & we have bothe chopped & beat them with no problems, we did resharpen them to get to the good stuff :D But so far I'm happy with mine. I got the ColdSteel TrailBoss for Christmas but haven't got to play enought with it to give a review, I will say that out of the box it was Dull as a butterknife but with a little work I can now shave with it ;) It is made in China but has a hickorey handel & carbonsteel head.
The TrailBoss -
TRAILBOSS.jpg
[/IMG]
TraiBoss next to my CS TrailHawk -
CHOPPERS-1.jpg
[/IMG]
14" SportAxe -
Choppers.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, i gotta admit i am no fan of the polymer handles axes either, I use a wetterlings that has been re profiled and it hasen skipped a beat. What I will say though, I have had a Fiskars for a while now, as long as the first time a bought a wetterlings, and I broke the other wetterlings. So, thats two wetterlings and one fiskars in the last three years.
My point is, you DID get a lemon, evern if there have been two axes broke, I can garuentee there are more people with fiskars in their trucks and in the shed then any wetterlings and GB, I think the main reason you dont hear alot about the higher end stuff breaking is their arnt many for one, and some just wont tell you something broke when they shell out big money for.
I know someone is going to give me flak for it, but the fact remains, Fiskars are WAY more common than any other axes we see and use on the net, especially in canada. No one i've talked to in real life has even heard of wetterlings, you kickin in the name fiskars and its "oh ya, my uncle has one of those, their great"

So again, you got a bad lemon, I didn't see it but have you gone through warrenty? they should fix it.

Back