1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fixing early lock-up on a framelock

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by hank_rearden, Jun 27, 2012.

1. hank_rearden

hank_rearden

Jun 7, 2002
    is this the right term? i mean the lock bar on my spyderco ti military "clicks" down early while the blade is still not fully opened and finally clicks into lock when fully flexed out. i don't really mind since i'm careful in flicking but a friend nearly cut himself when he opened it and thought it was already in locked mode.

2. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    That's the detent ball 'clicking' off the blade, not the lock engaging. The detent ball fits into a hole in the blade when the knife is closed and aids in closed blade retention, to prevent the knife from falling open in your pocket or an otherwise unintended situation.

3. hank_rearden

hank_rearden

Jun 7, 2002
    is that what it does? i thought i was just a round-headed rivet for the stainless steel insert on the lock bar. so when the tang clears it during rotation, it clicks on the bar but yeah, it's in no way locked. thanks.

4. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012