1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

For Fans of the old HP RPN Calculators

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Ultraman, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    (Moderator: Please delete if you consider this deal spotting - it's not meant to and refers to a limited run from pretty much one source)

If you like the older Reverse Polish Notation HP calculators, this is just a heads up that the commemorative HP-15C is back:
    [​IMG]

The first run was very successful and quickly exhausted, so you might want to order one before they run out again. AFAIK, they are at the HP website. You're welcome.:)

2. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    My HP-41C died.
    My HP11C is still functional. Never got a 15C.
    Thanks for the heads up, though. Have to think about that one.

3. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    Don't need one. My 15C still works. Got it in 1984. I also have the HP-25 and HP-45. The switch on the HP25 is bad. Great calculators.

My 23 year old daughter likes the HP RPN calculators. she figured out how efficient the 4 stack memory is.

Ric

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  4. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Nice. My 15C is still going strong but might be nice to have a back-up. Thanks for the heads-up. Mike

5. Gollnick

Gollnick Musical Director

Mar 22, 1999
    Definitely getting a backup or two... the best calculator ever made. Got mine in 84 and still use it practically every day. 27 years old and working great. Truly a calculator that has no equals.

And RPN remains the professional way to do math.

6. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    Nice to see some fellow HP aficionados! I had a 42S that was stolen back in grad school, still have a 32SII that I bought many years later, and I am using the HP35S that is still being sold.
    After the first run of the HP15C special edition ran out, the prices ran up to $400!

7. Planterz

Planterz Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Back in the 90's I was flying by everybody on my 48G while everybody else was plodding along with their Ti-81s. Plus it had Tetris, Lemmings, Pac Man, Space Invaders (equivalent), draw poker, etc. It died, and I replaced it with a 49G.

When I first got a smartphone, I downloaded a scientific calculator app, set it to RPN, and never looked back. For long bouts of simple math (like doing your taxes) nothing beats RPN with a long, swappable stack.

8. Unk

Unk Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Memories - paper and pencil, slide rule, TI and finally 12C..good rides all.

9. Midget

Midget Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2002
    i'm rocking the 12c financial calculator as well. mine isn't any sort of limited edition such as the one above. RPN is great and all -- too bad it's a mind trip to have to switch back and forth. :(

fun times to go against common conventions.

i still:

drive in manual
    type in dvorak
    calculate in RPN

that way nobody else can:

drive my car
    use my computer
    "borrow" my calculator.

:p

anyone else care to share their non-conformity?

10. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Hmm .... tempting, very tempting.

11. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005

drive in manual Used to for years, now I like automatic
    type in dvorak Nope
    calculate in RPN Check

12. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    My girlfriend (now wife) gave me my 11C as an engagement gift in '83. I kept griping about my lousy TI. I'd bought one TI and had the key board go South on me after 6 months of use. Got another TI and it did the same thing after 6 months. My girl heard my fussing and bought me the HP. It is still a fine machine. (She's still pretty fine, too.)

13. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    I picked up a 49g+ off the Exchange. It knows a lot more math than I do :(

I had one of the 28's but I gave it to my engineer cousin back when we were both young, and it's still hard at work.

14. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    I have my original (bought it in the early '80s). Love it as much as I love my TI-89 (I'm a mathematixian so I seldomly use either). I'd be apprehensive of the new 15C based on the second review here.

15. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    Another thing I really like about the HP calculators is the way the buttons feel when you push them. They have a very distinctive click and feel, you know when you have properly pushed the keys. I've used some calculators that the keys would activate the function even if I just rested my finger on it.

Oh yeah, can't for get the LAST x key that has saved my butt numerous times:p.

Ric

16. dttomcat

dttomcat

Apr 14, 2007
    I've had my 12C for about 9 years now. Still going strong and absolutely essential for certain operations. I had to take a class to figure out how to use it though.

17. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge

Oct 3, 1998
    I have a 16C I got in 1986 that remains my favorite calculator ever. The 16C was targeted at computer scientists, but 15C is probably more generally useful. Think I"ll pick one up myself!

18. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    That reminds me of the time (late 70s when I was starting college) I was using my old TI with the hard keys and I asked a classmate why he like hi soft key Casio instead of the type of calculator I had.
    He said: "TAK TAK TAK" so I guess he didn't like the sound and feel! The HPs refined it a bit, I think.

There might be a some bad reviews about QC issues, but it might be a minority. I'm willing to risk it :)

19. Zuchus

Zuchus Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2005
    HP15C.jpg

I've had and used my 15C since the early 80's. I never used the programming feature, though. Could have been just as happy with the 11C. There is a very good freeware program for Windows that does a very nice emulation of the 15C. Here's a screen capture of my desktop with it running (and with a Blackjack Model 1-7 wallpaper behind it!) You can get it here:

http://hp-15c.homepage.t-online.de/

20. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Looks like they're out of stock tonight.

HP has a few software versions of their calculator models including the 15C iPhone version.

updated URL
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/s...99196&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Here's the HPMuseum.org's article on the 15C.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp15.htm

I had a 15C back when and it was a very high quality calculator. The only thing I disliked was the horizontal design as I was used to the vertical ergos. Still have a 28C but it's overkill for me.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013