For Sale: SS/Carbon San Mai Camp Knife. SOLD.

Here's my latest, a robust yet dressy camp knife.

The blade is forged from san mai composed of outer layers of 304L stainless steel, with a core of 52100 high carbon alloy. Testing in seasoned hard maple after heat treatment showed that it chops well and retains a good edge, and edge flexing showed that the core is tempered hard yet tough.

The guard is forged from “w's” pattern damascus steel, hardened and tempered, and behind that is a coined spacer made of cymbal bronze.

The handle is shaped from brown canvas micarta, cut from a big thick slab originating from the Boeing surplus store years ago. It's nice material. It is fastened through the tang with a domed pin of silicon bronze.

The balance is about 1.5” in front of the guard, that combined with the bucket-seat feel of the grip makes it an aggressive chopping knife.

The sheath is of my own construction, tooled Hermann Oak with a snap strap for retention.

Specs:
Overall length, 14-1/8”
Blade length, 9-1/8”
Blade width at heel, 1-15/16”
Spine thickness at guard, .215”
Total weight, 15.25 oz.
Max handle thickness, 3/4”

Asking price for the package is $825 plus shipping. THIS KNIFE IS NOW SOLD. I will ship internationally, please inquire for rates.

Here's some pics and a video. Enjoy! Thanks for looking.

DSC04542_zpsletuluhm.jpg

DSC04543_zpsslkklox5.jpg

DSC04544_zpsad0jtwsk.jpg

DSC04545_zpshbx5myel.jpg

DSC04546_zpswl9gnqxr.jpg

DSC04547_zpsbznrdzbe.jpg

DSC04548_zpsrmyyu1w3.jpg

DSC04549_zpsq71obzgz.jpg

DSC04550_zpszempnwdo.jpg

DSC04551_zpsdrva2ifi.jpg

DSC04552_zpsfgttwlko.jpg

DSC04553_zpsldr5ppdn.jpg

DSC04554_zpsjue9frhw.jpg

DSC04555_zpstu1plkmk.jpg

DSC04556_zpspv5ke3jt.jpg

DSC04557_zpsxt75fzbd.jpg

DSC04559_zpsxkfezxet.jpg

[youtube]GeHSBSTnwJI[/youtube]

I make knives to the best of my ability and knowledge. I research to find the best materials and methods to use, in order to provide the very best product, in terms of value, durability, performance, and aesthetics. Should a knife purchased from me fail in materials or workmanship, please ship it back to me at my own expense for repair or replacement at no cost.
I will sharpen any of my knives at no cost; however I do ask that you pay for shipping costs for this service.

I am always pleased to hear from any of my customers, past, repeat, potential, or otherwise. Please go to my web site, see "Contact Me" and give me a call. If you have any questions regarding these policies, I'd like to hear them.

Also, if this knife or any other I have made that you have seen looks close to something you would like, or if you would like to talk about an entirely different knife design altogether, please contact me, I do custom orders as well and always enjoy talking about knife designs, whether or not we actually end up doing business.

Salem Straub

Last edited:
that's an incredible piece, brother Salem.

Back