1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fox Folly - Too pretty to use?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by dakine, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dakine

dakine

Jan 17, 2007
    Just picked up a fox folly, such a monster. Now my dilemma, it's just so dang pretty, but screams to be used and used hard. How hard is it to polish back up after all use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2010
    I use a polish called wenol. That on a cotton rag takes 90% of the scuffs out.

3. JayGoliath

JayGoliath Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2010
    All knives will remain as beautiful work of steel until they are used.

4. wildmanh

wildmanh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    I say use it, wash it, and don't worry about the scuff marks. They add charactor. By the way, I'm not one of the croud that polishes his knives. ;)

5. abdelhazred

abdelhazred

Feb 16, 2010
    All my blades get used. Knives for work or that see heavy use don't get polished beyond a satiny sheen. HD blades I keep a good polish on.

6. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    I say get 2, one user and one to cherish. I got one gorgeous FF for my GF that gets no use obviously, and another one for me. I would never use it for chopping wood (unlikely as a weapon either) as I would rather reach for an AK, Bonecutter, Ganga Ram, etc. for the tough jobs. So they are destined to pass on to the next generation as works of art (better than those useless, chicken-scratch paintings girly men collect on their walls to impress chicks, try using a painting next time the zombie apocalypse hits :)

7. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Are you the guy with the youtube videos?

8. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    I don't know what yours is like, but my FF has a thin and light blade. Not sure what you mean by used hard, but I wouldn't use mine for chopping firewood, any more than I would use a fine katana for that purpose.

9. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    Yep, though not lately... life hit me fast and hard, so no time for that now other than as a spectator :)

10. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
  11. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    Thank you, Sir!
    Yes, it is part of my daily routine to check out the DOTD and the other posts here and on the BF's Exchange. I don't buy anything anymore sadly, but a man can dream and can certainly always learn more. This is a good place to do both with some great forumites :)

12. dakine

dakine

Jan 17, 2007
    Your videos convinced me to snag this one. They are a good reference for HI owners. I feel for ya too, making videos ain't easy.

13. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    I should agree with Howard...not for chopping wood this blade...ok not for HEAVY chopping.
    You will probably not be able to remove the marks from the blade 100% very easy.
    I personally never do...too much fuss and time needed especially after HARD work.
    This doesn't impair the blade in any way though, just the outlook...

14. JayGoliath

JayGoliath Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Hi Dan Smithy!

It's been sometimes! How have you been?

J