1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

G-10 Harpy? Who Else Wants one?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by JD Spydo, Jul 17, 2017.

1. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    It was roughly about a year ago when one of the Brothers brought up the subject of the older, discontinued G-10 Harpy which I still believe was one of the best EDC user, utility blades of Spyderco's history. Sal himself even chimed in when a couple of the guys asked about the possibility of a new Sprint Run G-10 Harpy. And I do remember that Sal was relatively positive about it and said something to the effect that he would check with the people at the plant about it.

Well it's been about a year and we haven't seen it or heard about it since. I know I'm not the only one out there that would love to see the return of the G-10 handled Harpy. So who all would like to join me in a lobbying effort to see the resurrection of this great Hawkbill model?

Also what would all of you think about the idea of other G-10 handled Hawkbills or even their great Reverse S blades as well? OK let's talk about it and give me your ideas.

2. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Got mine in my pocket since I got home from work. ATS55

Would like S35VN

3. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    I am don't understand why the Spyderhawk was discontinued. Never see them on the exchange either

4. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    I would love a Sprint Run Harpy in one of the Supersteels. However I would be sort of content with even a VG-10 version with either a G-10 or Carbon Fiber handle. There was a Carbon Fiber Harpy made back around 2005 but I haven't seen one of those in years. I had two of them but sold them when I was desperate for $$.

Actually the ATS-55, Spyderedged version wasn't bad at all. I found ATS-55 to be good steel for Spyderedges.

5. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    The ATS55 is very good.

I am all in for shredded carbon fiber!

6. Ed Ricketts

Ed Ricketts Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 1998
    G10 Harpy...ABSOLUTELY!

But my first choice would actually be almost any variation of serrated spyderhawk. Both would be:

OUTSTANDING!

7. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Actually I rate ATS-55 as being one of the top 5 blade steels for Spyderedged models. It seems like serrated edges do better with steels that have more toughness properties. As far as Carbon Fiber instead of G-10? I wouldn't at all be opposed to another Sprint Run of the Carbon Fiber HARPY model.

The HARPY is just too good of a Hawkbill to only be made available with a stainless handle IMO.

8. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    I'm glad you brought that up Ed because I have no doubt at all if they would do a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy it would not only inject new life into that model but if they would also do a SPYDERHAWK model with a G-10 handle it would really stimulate sales of all the Hawkbill blades across the board.

I'm not knocking FRN handles or even stainless handles for that matter because they certainly have their place but I am saying that the newer G-10 materials would actually make the Harpy into a completely different and better model all together.

They had the right idea when they did the SUPERHAWK model with a CF handle but they shot that model in the foot from the get-go by not making it available in Spyderedge IMO. Take the concept they had with the SUPERHAWK and apply it to the Harpy and Spyderhawk models>> the results of higher sales and piqued interest will be great I have no doubt.