Gec Bullnose

Has anyone put their bullnose through some hard work yet. If so how are they holding up any blade play? How is the 01 steel compared to 1095 in edge holding?

Well... hard work - not for me, but for a knife ;) . I had to cut several cardboard boxes with it, imo cardboard is real stressy work for the edge. The O1 steel holds the edge well, but I couldn´t see a real difference to the 1095 of any other GEC knife.

I cold compare to the factory edge on the Bullnose and my #73. I hadn´t sharpened the knife yet. And it´s still sharp. Not scary or even razorsharp, but still good enough for food prep.

I like the patina the O1 steel takes, it seems to be a little slower appearing than on 1095, but that´s ok.

(When first sharping, I tend to regrind the edge on a 20° flat grind each side)

Springs are pretty good, not too tight or too loose. Just right, but your experience and wants may vary. I've had experience with O1 on custom bushcraft blades, and this steel is fine in my book. I think I misplaced mine :eek:, or maybe my little brother misplaced it for me ;).

I'm wanting one of these, BAD! I love my Queen Country Cousin, but the spring is a little stiff.

Sorry for the hijack.

Hard work? Hmm...not unless you consider posing for pictures to be hard work...

P1020667.jpg

In my opinion, the pull on this blade is just about perfect. Not too strong. Definitely not too weak. Just right! The half stop is positive, both opening and closing. The blade snaps into a fully opened position with authority. A reassuring force is necessary to begin closing the blade. That same force gives me confidence that an accidental closure is quite unlikely. The delrin scales are very smooth and yet they provide a firm grip. I took some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to the entire knife handle, including the pivots and spine, and smoothed that entire surface. It's like buttah, baby! I also sharpened my knife, 20 degrees a side, on my Sharpmaker and then polished the edge on a strop loaded with jewelers rouge after going through the compounds. My knife has absolutely no blade play. Neither side to side or up and down.

My little Nariz del Toro (nose of the bull) rides daily in a pouch on my belt. I could not be happier with this knife. I'm sure in the days to come, as opportunity avails itself, this little guy will see its share of hard work. The $50 price tag, for what amounts to be a Sodbuster, is money well spent, IMO. And, if this is any indication of what we can expect in the rest of their Farm and Field line, I think GEC has a winner on its hands.

OK, new....

photo52.jpg

And several months down the line...

photo53.jpg

In the pocket pretty much every day, I work outdoors and it'll see everything from cutting rope to length to opening cement bags all day. No problems, gets rusty sometimes when I get soaked! No worries, clean it up and oil it, good to go. Patina soon takes over again.

Best thing about it is the pivot, more solid feeling than every other GEC I have and feels like it will outlive me.

Sam

OK, new....

photo52.jpg

And several months down the line...

photo53.jpg

In the pocket pretty much every day, I work outdoors and it'll see everything from cutting rope to length to opening cement bags all day. No problems, gets rusty sometimes when I get soaked! No worries, clean it up and oil it, good to go. Patina soon takes over again.

Best thing about it is the pivot, more solid feeling than every other GEC I have and feels like it will outlive me.

Sam

Awesome :cool:

I love both of mine. My only complaint so far is the inside liner on my orange one rusts in one spot. Just kind of annoying really, it's hard to get it out.

Mine have seen some good everyday use. While I'm not bushcrafting with them I have cut up fatwood, used them for food prep and general all around cutting task so they see some action frequently and have held up very well. I actually ran over my black bullnose with my truck and all it did was scuff the delrin up on one side, which I smoothed out with some sandpaper. It's took a licking and didn't miss a beat. Here are my three that are in rotation, the nefibrite being the newest.

i-g2DpzSQ-XL.jpg

I don't have too much to add here, it's really all been said. The steel is great, it hold and takes a really fine edge. I have been using mine ever since I got it and it has been one of the most enjoyable knives I have ever dropped into my pocket. I have chips in the blade from it scraping against rocks and rust spots have appeared from it getting wet so often. It is one rock solid soddie...

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a black one just had not used it yet. I think i will try it out tomorrow at work.

I love both of mine. My only complaint so far is the inside liner on my orange one rusts in one spot. Just kind of annoying really, it's hard to get it out.

I wish i could get a decent pic of the inside of mine to show the rust pitting! I now generously allow 3 in 1 oil to run down the inside of the back spring from the pivot to the butt before wiping the excess with a bit of tissue on the end of a match. Seems to have kept things in check:)

Sam

Sam and Deadfall.......

Now that's what its all about....use em and abuse em...

Sam,

Mine doesn't look any different than my old pics. I hung it up and haven't actually had a reason to use it down in the shop. But its still there :)

Kevin

I just got mine, havent really put it through much hard work because i just got it the other day. but this thing is awesome. feels really good in the hand. just from how it feels, i wouldnt doubt that it could handle some hard work.

Back