GEC Visit in September!

The beans have spilled! How does 3 1/2" sound?

I like the sound of that VERY much! I sure hope they use the same blade stock as there other jack knife offerings, I think its just perfect!

Now...can we talk about some sawcut bone from GEC??? AND nickel silver pins/liners??? Maybe I'm dreaming too much :p

Obadiah Barlow of Sheffield, England is on my list as one of the ten most influential men in history. ;)
I can't wait to see the #15.
As I often said when I was just a puppy, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

[Quoted from a Barlow Geneology site]"The Barlows of Kentucky, Connecticut and Pennsylvania may very well have been manufacturers of the Barlow pocket knife, but they were probably not the originators. According to Laurence A. Johnson in his article, "The Barlow Knife", that was published in The Chronicle of the Early American Industries Association, Inc. in June 1959, the Barlow knife was probably first manufactured by one Obadiah Barlow at Sheffield, England, around 1670. Obadiah's grandson, John Barlow, joined the business around 1745 and it was he who was chiefly responsible for developing the exportation of the Barlow knives to America.

The Barlow knife was designed to be a rugged knife and to be produced at the lowest possible price. To keep costs low, the blade was forged from high carbon steel and the handle was usually bone with little effort spent in polishing or other finishing. To add strength, the bolster was increased in length and weight since that is the point of greatest strain in all folding knives. Today Barlows have lost their original rough finish and their cheap price. There are often two blades (the original Barlows had only one), but the distinctive long bolster is always present, usually with the name BARLOW stamped on it."[end quote]

Thanks, Obadiah, wherever you are!!

I'm looking forward to the new barlow pattern. I wonder if the new pattern will closely resemble the old barlows?? Will it be similar to the #25 Barlow?

251211STL-primitive-bone-3.jpg

170px-Huckleberry-finn-with-rabbit.jpg

[youtube]jkm1i2o6Ri8[/youtube]

Well - I've always felt that Barlow Bolsters oughta be something a Man can be proud of!
Something he can brag about. And Women should love them too!
In fact everyone should get warm fuzzy feelings when they look at 'em, and also when they feel them there in their front pocket, where the Good Lord said Barlows should live!!
Everyone should have nice Barlow Bolsters at some time in their lives! Big strong ones, that make the knife durable and sturdy. But they should be nice to look at, too!
Yep! Good lookin' Bolsters is what every Barlow should have!!

;)

Thanks for the picture and the tease, Charlie!

best

mqqn

A new Barlow would be great! It's gotta be nice if Charlie has
his hands in it... Look forward to checking it out.

Jason

Charlie, this sounds great!...if any ever come up for grabs, I hope I have a chance to raise my hand so as to purchase one.I am the very happy owner of two of your efforts with GEC.
That line up of knives...I would love to have been standing next to you to see just how you made your pick-and to see how you handle the knife to be honest, my pick would be the top one or the 2nd one, or the 3rd one, or the 4th one! :D
You have to be careful of that Jake fellow Charlie-I think he is the later, he is a smart-switched on fellow our Jake! :cool:

Charlie...please bring us that Barlow home-with those good lookin' Bolsters!

Back