1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

German power hammer?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by David Loukides, Sep 28, 2009.

1. David Loukides

David Loukides

Mar 17, 2006
    Hi Guy's
    A customer of my company is selling a 60kg. Kuma power hammer.
    I will be getting the specifics in a week. Anybody know about this hammer.
    I am unsure about the spelling but it is from Germany.
    Thanks

2. Karl B. Andersen

Karl B. Andersen KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 27, 2003
    Are you sure it's not a Kuhn?

3. David Loukides

David Loukides

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks Karl,
    Right now any things possible. When I googled Kuma I didn't get anywhere.
    What I do know is:
    German made.
    pneumatic on board system.
    60kg.
    20 yrs old
    Green paint.
    and I will be getting a E-mail once he's home.

4. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Sounds like a kuhn to me.

5. Plain ol Bill

Plain ol Bill

Jan 24, 2001
    99.99% odds it is a Kuhn. If so they are great hammers and hammer weight will be 110 lb. I have a Sahinler and basically they are the same and I LUV my hammer.

6. erik markman

erik markman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 13, 2007
    That's probably a 50 kg Kuhn.

7. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    The SMALL 34kg Kuhn would cost you in excess of $15,000 if you tried to buy it in the US today. So if the price is right, buy that sucker, be is a 50kg or a 60kg. You are talking about a hammer that would probably cost $20-25K new!! Their operating system is apparently a pretty good one because the Turkish factories that make Sahinler and Say Mak hammers are using the same setup from what I have been told.

8. Karl B. Andersen

Karl B. Andersen KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 27, 2003
  9. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Karl, the Kuhn that they had at Troy was a 75 pounder(34kg), IIRC, Guess they don't make that one anymore.
    Unless the prices have changed, Ozark is actually charging less for the 50kg Say Mak that Pieh is getting for the similar Sahinler. The price on the web site is like $8750. I think that you can get the 60kg Say Mak for like $10.5K