1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Girlfriend wants to choose me a folding knife and she wants your help

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by OldeWolf, Mar 16, 2012.

1. OldeWolf

OldeWolf Banned BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    My girlfriend got sick of seeing me surfing all of the neat and wondrous folding knives out there while I day dream on having one of them some day...so she said she will buy me a knife under $300 on a few conditions:

1. She must approve of the knife and the knife's wow factor in looks. "It must have fashion!"
    2. I must not buy any future folding knives or other knives except Himalayan Imports or very specific fixed blade knives such as Swamp Rat RMD LE or any "Wow" fashion (practical ~Wolf) custom knives (edit: It's a joke for those of you that are sensitive ;))
    3. Must be under $300

Here's my criteria since choosing the knives will in the end be out of my hands so hopefully some of the criteria will exist in the knife she chose for me. :p

Here's what I would like it to have:

1. It must be rugged and durable knife
    2. Be able to handle all sorts of environments from the Rocky Mountains to Minnesota's many weather to the swamp land of Florida to many places.
    3. I like it beefy and big but not required. Weight is not an issue for me.
    4. I don't mind it being long and slender or thick and beefy, but I want it to be tough enough to act as an emergency pry bar if need be.
    5. Don't want the knife to be tiny so much that I have to raise my pinkie just to hold the knife. :p

I'm probably overlooking some criteria but I fully intend to make a user out of this knife and have it do as many functions as I can use with it (cue in the Swiss Army Knife joke here).

I wouldn't mind a ZT quality knife and above.

Lets see if there's a knife that will give my girlfriend a "Oooh pretty!" wow factor and be ruggedly loyal to me for years to come. Is there such a knife out there?

Edit:
    P.s. Please include pictures of the suggested knives as my girlfriend will be viewing this thread. Thank you! :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. steampunk

steampunk

Feb 6, 2010
    3 sisters forge "beast"

3. OldeWolf

OldeWolf Banned BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    Added edited comment

4. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    HTM Gunhammer in M390. Not 100% sure it will be under $300, but it sure sounds like an incredible blade. Won't be out for a bit, though.

5. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Or maybe a ZT 0560.

6. Heiheit

Heiheit

Feb 4, 2009

Dump her. :p

I'd pick up at ZT 0560 and a custom CF scale once they're more available.

7. OldeWolf

OldeWolf Banned BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    She has a motive actually. She wants to go to Europe and I want to go too so thus have to save money. So buying me that knife should last me for years thus saves myself some real money in the process as I don't really want to change knives like women changes shoes every 5 minutes. :p

8. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tell her she's nice but to stop running your life.

...and I've bought about five knives in the last 3 months, so what is this "one knife for life" stuff?
    Sonny

9. OldeWolf

OldeWolf Banned BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    She's in no way running my life. It's a birthday present actually and a good reminder to save money for other more valid and useful things in my life that I want to contribute it towards, so Sonny, please control your judgement until you know my life personally. Thanks.

Edit: It's also her money. How many girlfriends/wives will buy her guy knives at such a price? Besides, it's a running joke between us as she collects Boyd bears and I told her no more after I bought her a very rare special limit edition Boyd bear. I've already had the mindset of wanting only one folder knife that does all the job I want it to do for me. That part was my choice and she played upon it. Does that help clear up some things?

Double Edit: Sonny, I like collecting fixed blades more than folders. I've bought 5 fixed blades in the last 3 months myself. Just a personal preference. No big deal.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  10. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    either a
    Cold Steel Mini AK-47
    or a regular AK-47

11. OldeWolf

OldeWolf Banned BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    Knives suggested so far so my girlfriend can view:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GSDNPWC

GSDNPWC

Jan 4, 2012
    ZT 560, or maybe a used Small Sebenza? Perhaps a Spyderco Sage 2. If 3in. blade is too short, the last 2 are out.

13. zane2002

zane2002

Sep 19, 2011
    I have to agree and say the ZT560. It feels great in the hand and is very sold so far. I think it will hold up on the long run but only time will tell.

14. jossta

jossta Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Grayman Dua
    [​IMG]

TSF Beast
    [​IMG]

ZT 0560
    [​IMG]

ZT 0550
    [​IMG]

ZT 0300
    [​IMG]

Spyderco Tuff (Not out yet)
    [​IMG]

Spyderco Gayle Bradley
    [​IMG]

Spyderco LionSpy
    [​IMG]

HTM Gunhammer
    [​IMG]

Benchmade Adamas:
    [​IMG]

Benchmade Onslaught
    [​IMG]

Benchmade Bedlam:
    [​IMG]

Lionsteel SR-1 Aluminum
    [​IMG]

Hogue/Elishewitz EX-01
    [​IMG]

15. Mountain Wildman

Mountain Wildman

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm real happy with my ZT0561

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The DDR Gunhammer is a nice choice also.

16. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    u forgot the Mini AK-47 dude

17. glockboy

glockboy

Oct 14, 2003
    One more vote for the ZT 0560.

18. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    here u go

19. OldeWolf

OldeWolf Banned BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    Blade, I didn't.
    I didn't want tiny knives. Thanks tho. :p

20. JBK2596

JBK2596

Oct 7, 2010
    no one has seamed to mention the ZT 0551/0550.
    they are similar to the 0560 but more stout and beefy, i never owned one but i hear great things about them.